2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss Custom Review and Off-Road Test

I'm sure back in the day when cars started to use newfangled electric starters, people complained about them not having a traditional hand crank too.
Why anybody would want to fish around for keys in their pocket verses pushing a button is beyond me. I have both systems in the two vehicles I own. I much prefer the push button start in my wife's Hyundai compared to the keys in my SIlverado.

We got guys on here hanging on to the "old ways" even when it doesn't make sense. It would be great if the Internet was around back when the switch over to electronic ignition, sealed fuel systems, ABS, 100,000 mile tune ups, etc. I can picture the commets now about how one couldn't adjust the fuel/air mixture, or how "pumping the brakes" being taken away from the driver. How can spark plugs possibly last that long?

It's nonsensical really.

Why anybody would want to fish around for keys in their pocket verses pushing a button is beyond me. I have both systems in the two vehicles I own. I much prefer the push button start in my wife's Hyundai compared to the keys in my SIlverado.

We got guys on here hanging on to the "old ways" even when it doesn't make sense. It would be great if the Internet was around back when the switch over to electronic ignition, sealed fuel systems, ABS, 100,000 mile tune ups, etc. I can picture the commets now about how one couldn't adjust the fuel/air mixture, or how "pumping the brakes" being taken away from the driver. How can spark plugs possibly last that long?

It's nonsensical really.
I love old cars. I have a 65 GTO and a 72 Chevy 4x4. I spend all day on craigslist looking at old car and old car parts, or contemplating 496 builds for the 72. That said, I daily drive a 2016 2500HD for the safety, reliability, comfort, refinement, etc.

Here is a complete list of all the things that I actually believe old cars have that is better than new cars:

(1) Floor mounted high beam switches.

I never knew "fishing around for keys" was such a big issue for some people. How big are your pockets?

In the winter time it is difficult/or impossible depending with gloves on to get keys out of your pockets. In the winter time, I put the Hyundais keys in my pocket, put my jacket and gloves on-go in to the garage and push a button to start the Santa Fe.

So-yes there are some advantages.

I never knew "fishing around for keys" was such a big issue for some people. How big are your pockets?
Maybe not for men as much as for women and their purses. Do you know many women? And I don't mean in the biblical sense. Sometimes they have to dump out the entire contents of their purse just to find the keys.

Every thread here turns into the same super bowl ads for Ram …
… my son just bought a brand new one and no big deal to me …

Thankfully I don't live someplace too cold to take my gloves off to fish out keys. If I did, I'd probably find my keys and go outside with keys in hand.

Pushbutton is probably nice to have. I'm in no rush to get it, it's probably like any other option--once I have it, it'll be hard to give up I bet, I kinda miss RKE and heated seats and heated mirrors and the clutch pedal. But this last one has an electric seat and I find it mind boggling to be able to adjust the seat while driving (in a manner that isn't crash-worthy).

Reactions: CKN
The part I don't understand in these uber, mega, super trucks that people need to go to get groceries, is why that cheap sticker on a side? I am watching every night commercial on TV, and that cheap "Trail Boss" sticker on a side just does not get out of my head. Couldn't they figure out something fancier in that price range?

I think GMC gets the fancy "All Terrain" badges....

I mean i remember when a Z71 was top dog, and you did not have to check for the little 4x4 to know it was a 4x4, they were ALL 4x4 with skid plates, posi and so forth...

Then someone figured out they could make some money... and we got one wheel peel Z71's and even Tahoe and Suburban Z71s and they no longer have Bilsteins... Time marches on...

Honestly if there was a "sticker delete" box, I would check it 99 out of 100 times...

I mean i remember when a Z71 was top dog, and you did not have to check for the little 4x4 to know it was a 4x4, they were ALL 4x4 with skid plates, posi and so forth...

Honestly if there was a "sticker delete" box, I would check it 99 out of 100 times...
Thats how it used to be. My Avalanche is a Z-71 , skid plates on the front and on the transfer case. g-80 rear, bilsteins from the factory.

Maybe not for men as much as for women and their purses. Do you know many women? And I don't mean in the biblical sense. Sometimes they have to dump out the entire contents of their purse just to find the keys.
Sounds like a good way to lose track of a prox key too.

In the winter time it is difficult/or impossible depending with gloves on to get keys out of your pockets. In the winter time, I put the Hyundais keys in my pocket, put my jacket and gloves on-go in to the garage and push a button to start the Santa Fe.

So-yes there are some advantages.
That is way too extreme of an environment to be driving a Santa Fe, even a Limited XL.

I think GMC gets the fancy "All Terrain" badges....

Then someone figured out they could make some money... and we got one wheel peel Z71's and even Tahoe and Suburban Z71s and they no longer have Bilsteins... Time marches on...

I pulled many 4X4 decals off trucks. My wife asked why.
Said I don’t like first graders pointing from a mini van and saying “16” 😷

ugliest of the big 3

Grill and front is teribad.

at least they sorta fixed the wheel area. I say sorta.. its still odd.

At the risk of sounding like a Ram cheerleader.. anyone shopping trucks should test drive a Ram. you owe it to yourself.
^^^ EXACTLY ^^^ (y)

If there's anything you want aluminum, it's the tailgate. Most likely to get beat up, and you can easily remove and replace! Light and easy to manage as well. The more I read about the Trail Boss in Custom trim, the more I like it.

Agree …
and while some don’t - this diagram is a good example of where to use materials for the job …
… my 2017 Tahoe has less (some Al)
D10866F9-2A50-45B4-9D30-58AF7D3B943C.jpg
and my 2020 Jeep has about as much as newer GM’s ..
Grab a plastic coated magnet and go check your vehicle … might surprise you …

Back