2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss Custom Review and Off-Road Test

This generation of GM truck is growing on me, and I kind of hated them at first. Wish we could get the reg cab short bed here given they are offered elsewhere.

2020-Chevy-Silverado-regular-cab-short-box-GM-1024x509.jpeg

It has a regular key (with a resistor) instead of the push to start proximity key.

I do kind of prefer the regular keys myself. GM's prox keys seem to work fine though overall, just don't lose all your fobs, which people do at an incredible rate.
I would love to have all my cars with push button start. Never have to fumble with keys in your pocket. Just step on the brake and push a button.

Reactions: CKN
I would love to have all my cars with push button start. Never have to fumble with keys in your pocket. Just step on the brake and push a button.
It really isn't bad in concept, especially if you know how to use it when the fob battery is dead (there's usually a certain place to put the fob where it will read or whatever), and don't lose it. The problem is people lose them all the time. I don't know why.

in the under 100k offroad vehicle market, there’s the rubicon and then there’s everything else. you really want to offroad, get a jeep.

Last edited:

If there's anything you want aluminum, it's the tailgate. Most likely to get beat up, and you can easily remove and replace! Light and easy to manage as well. The more I read about the Trail Boss in Custom trim, the more I like it.

It really isn't bad in concept, especially if you know how to use it when the fob battery is dead (there's usually a certain place to put the fob where it will read or whatever), and don't lose it. The problem is people lose them all the time. I don't know why.
How would people lose a bigger heavier fob any more than they would a smaller lighter key?

If there's anything you want aluminum, it's the tailgate. Most likely to get beat up, and you can easily remove and replace! Light and easy to manage as well.
I remember buying a used pickup years ago that was missing the tailgate. Dealer wanted over $1,000 for a new replacement and junk yards were getting over $500. I would imagine an aluminum one is much more. And aluminum is much harder to repair. Most dents cant be knocked out like on steel so you have to replace the whole panel.

I'm guessing a grand is cheap compared to the cost of the truck? Just to keep things in perspective. Nothing lasts forever.

Truck looks good to me, I kinda like it. Would love to have some sort of AWD option, a locking center diff that is, on my truck.

Not sure how people lose things that expensive--and necessary! wouldn't say I guard my keys with my life but whenever I misplace my keys, wallet, glasses, anything that critical to my getting around in life--I figure out how not to repeat that mistake.

I don't like the auto Eaton locker.
Buster … I have had them in many, many, trucks and full sized SUV’s … (have one now) would not trade for a “smooth” operating unit of any other kind. There are tens of thousands of them out there doing what they do best. Giving you both rear wheels when you need them … Both locked down hard everytime … Gets pretty rough trying to jerk somebody out down on the frame too …

Even though I have a Rubicon … the lockers are electronic … can’t see how that’s not more prone to fail …
(would prefer mechanical in the rear and electric in the front) …

But, as has been covered here (plenty enough, thank you) … we are not into the snow/ice over the road stuff where the finesse of more sophisticated drive lines work so well … we need locked 🔒

Buster … I have had them in many, many, trucks and full sized SUV’s … (have one now) would not trade for a “smooth” operating unit of any other kind. There are tens of thousands of them out there doing what they do best. Giving you both rear wheels when you need them … Both locked down hard everytime … Gets pretty rough trying to jerk somebody out down on the frame too …

Even though I have a Rubicon … the lockers are electronic … can’t see how that’s not more prone to fail …
(would prefer mechanical in the rear and electric in the front) …

But, as has been covered here (plenty enough, thank you) … we are not into the snow/ice over the road stuff where the finesse of more sophisticated drive lines work so well … we need locked 🔒

Good to know. You have much more experience than I do.

The pro's outweigh the cons with this truck. The 6.2L V8 and 10spd AT are are excellent combination.

The guys at TFL seem to think you want a manual/mechanical locker rather than the auto. It takes a bit to engage. I don't know much about them in those types of situations.

How would people lose a bigger heavier fob any more than they would a smaller lighter key?
No idea, but I sell a ton of prox transmitters and key inserts, may just be because they are rapidly becoming the norm. People that don't lose keys probably won't lose their prox fob either. Replacements cost more than a regular key, but the easy way to avoid that is don't lose it.

There's nothing wrong with GM's system, but some people just like a traditional key. It's not like you're using a hand crank to start the car.

Back