2021 Cessna Caravan in-flight breakup. . .

Preliminary info only at this point, but I'm particularly interested in this crash as I'm flying a 2022 version of this exact aircraft these days. Airframe failures are not common with the Caravan, so I'm agreeing with Juan Brown that it's likely going to be related to the engineering tests that were being done at the time of the crash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an FYI, I know the only pilot in the world to have significantly bent a Caravan wingspar (outboard of the strut) and survive. Flew it home. I know what happened and what it took to bend that spar.

This is NOT the plane, but it does hint at the operations involved. Add in a few waves and so on.

hqdefault.jpg

From what I have read on Aviation Week as well as on Aviation Safety Net, there was NO testing going on during this flight.

The current information is they were collecting data in order to establish a baseline to use for comparison after the planned modifications were made.

A wing simply does not fall off of an aircraft. Especially one in trimmed straight and level flight.

Over stressing that airframe beyond limits could cause that to happen.

We’ll find out at some point.

Just an FYI, I know the only pilot in the world to have significantly bent a Caravan wingspar (outboard of the strut) and survive. Flew it home. I know what happened and what it took to bend that spar.

This is NOT the plane, but it does hint at the operations involved. Add in a few waves and so on.

hqdefault.jpg
I was surprised to hear about this crash when it happened. Afterall isn't this a proven airframe with lots of other flying hours and examples on the registry?

my older son is a usaf pilot, flew cessna caravans in iraq. his reaction to this thread: “Would be very surprised if this was a straight structural failure. Very proven airframe with many hours in difficult military and freight environments.”

It seems the wing separated with the strut attached. It appears the wing strut attach point came apart somehow. I've not seen much info on this, but suspect human error. (speculation, of course)

Quote:

"The NTSB’s initial investigation revealed that the right wing of the 2021 Cessna 208B was found some 200 yards from the main fuselage of the aircraft, indicating it had separated from the airframe before impact. The left-wing flap was attached to the main wing and in the flap was in the retracted position. The right-wing strut separated from the fuselage attachment point, but remained attached to the wing."

Last edited:
I read the article and noted that no mods had been done prior to the crash. The maneuver that it is presumed to have been doing at the time of the incident seems fairly benign, given the power setting, flap setting and bank angle. If the maneuver resulted in a spin (it shouldn't have given the pilot's experience), then I suppose the airframe could have been overstressed during the (spin) recovery. It would be interesting to know what the weight and balance figures were at the time of the crash. If it was intentionally loaded to induce an aft CG, then spin recovery could have been affected (negatively). Just my two cents.

Last edited:
As another point of reference. . . the Caravan I fly (2022 EX) has a CG that is always up against the forward limit. . . in fact, we have to have 300 lbs. of ballast on the rear-most baggage shelf during all flights just to (barely) stay within forward CG limits with only two pilots aboard. In my experience it would take a very intentional effort to give the EX a rear CG problem. FWIW

Back