2021 BMW X6 3.0d, 7,255 miles, factory fill

BMW X6 3.0d factory fill 7255 miles.png

^ Agreed.

I also think Xw20 is too thin for a diesel (flamesuit on).
Well that's a good point because my X6 owner's manual states "The viscosity classes SAE 0W-20 and SAE 5W-20 are not suitable for diesel engines"

So maybe we should ask: what oil did you run? I find it difficult to believe that the factory would fill it with the incorrect oil.

So maybe we should ask: what oil did you run? I find it difficult to believe that the factory would fill it with the incorrect oil.
The factory fill is still in the engine. I'll be changing in the next few weeks to Shell Helix Ultra 0W-30 ECT (C3 / LL04)

0W30 are not anymore LL04.
Ah good point - it was approved when I bought it, or at least when it was bottled. The other options I have in the stash which have LL04 approval (on the bottle) are :
Shell Helix HX8 ECT 5W30. (non GTL I believe)
Gulf Formula ULE 5W40

Ah good point - it was approved when I bought it, or at least when it was bottled. The other options I have in the stash which have LL04 approval (on the bottle) are :
Shell Helix HX8 ECT 5W30. (non GTL I believe)
Gulf Formula ULE 5W40
Yeah, BMW simply banned 0WXX oils in LL01 and LL04. It will be fine in an engine, but wondering about warranty.

Yeah, BMW simply banned 0WXX oils in LL01 and LL04. It will be fine in an engine, but wondering about warranty.
agree, it's not worth the risk, however low the probability - mild hybrid 3L 6 cyl turbo diesel - I dread to think the replacement cost. I'll find an oil that has the approval. cheers (y)

Back