2021 Accord 2.0t 0w30 AFE 3100mi OCI

My next fill will be with 0w30 ESP.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220606-133441_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20220606-133441_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
Looks good, sheared a lot in 3100 miles. Is AFE 0w-30 a PAO based oil?

Last edited:
Looks good, sheared a lot in 3100 miles. Is AFE 0w-30 a PAO based oil?
I'm not sure if it's mechanical shearing or fuel? Blackstone says no fuel, but I hear they aren't reliable when it comes to testing for fuel.

Not the biggest fan of AFE 0w30. Viscosity drops quicker than I'd like to see.

My next fill will be with 0w30 ESP.
Nuthin' wrong with that report on a 10,000 mile turbo engine. No problem with shearing. The oil starts at 8.6 and now it's 7.84 which is plenty of vis to keeps the parts separated. Pup 0w-20 feels thicker/smoother/more quiet than the AFE in my Camry. Try the Pup next; I like it better than the AFE. Ymmv

AFE should be a poor oil performing when looking at the additive package but it has been an impressive oil for many years. It is a perfect oil for an XW-20 recommended oil engine.

Nuthin' wrong with that report on a 10,000 mile turbo engine. No problem with shearing. The oil starts at 8.6 and now it's 7.84 which is plenty of vis to keeps the parts separated. Pup 0w-20 feels thicker/smoother/more quiet than the AFE in my Camry. Try the Pup next; I like it better than the AFE. Ymmv
I know it's early in the engines life, however I like to watch trends and development. It will be a deciding factor on whether I keep the car a long time or not. 🤞

Reactions: FZ1
Any UOAs?
Yes, so I don’t have the email anymore with the PDF but it was ran 10,000 miles with 0.8% fuel dilution. The viscosity was still in the 30 grade range. When I would run 87 octane the fuel dilution would be 1.5% or so if I remember right and I could smell fuel even outside the vehicle. My catch can would have fuel in it as well. The viscosity would fall to a 20 grade oil. When using 93 octane it was only 0.8% and no fuel in catch can, and still in the 30 grade range. I also do not let this engine idle unnecessarily, only to idle down turbo before turning off and at normal red lights. For other countries outside of North America, the 0w20 is strictly for fuel savings, it says use ACEA C3 or C2 rated oil. I can tell you I have not noticed one drop in fuel economy with the ESP 0w30. I think it’s a whole lot of horse shi* with the whole fuel savings thing and the 0w20.

Yes, so I don’t have the email anymore with the PDF but it was ran 10,000 miles with 0.8% fuel dilution. The viscosity was still in the 30 grade range. When I would run 87 octane the fuel dilution would be 1.5% or so if I remember right and I could smell fuel even outside the vehicle. My catch can would have fuel in it as well. The viscosity would fall to a 20 grade oil. When using 93 octane it was only 0.8% and no fuel in catch can, and still in the 30 grade range. I also do not let this engine idle unnecessarily, only to idle down turbo before turning off and at normal red lights. For other countries outside of North America, the 0w20 is strictly for fuel savings, it says use ACEA C3 or C2 rated oil. I can tell you I have not noticed one drop in fuel economy with the ESP 0w30. I think it’s a whole lot of horse shi* with the whole fuel savings thing and the 0w20. I have done several UOA’s
69132355-7E86-4A3C-98D3-5A851DFC9868.jpeg
69132355-7E86-4A3C-98D3-5A851DFC9868.jpeg
2C68DD24-A7A8-442A-B7BB-53FFD4C96C1C.jpeg
2C68DD24-A7A8-442A-B7BB-53FFD4C96C1C.jpeg

Yes, so I don’t have the email anymore with the PDF but it was ran 10,000 miles with 0.8% fuel dilution. The viscosity was still in the 30 grade range. When I would run 87 octane the fuel dilution would be 1.5% or so if I remember right and I could smell fuel even outside the vehicle. My catch can would have fuel in it as well. The viscosity would fall to a 20 grade oil. When using 93 octane it was only 0.8% and no fuel in catch can, and still in the 30 grade range. I also do not let this engine idle unnecessarily, only to idle down turbo before turning off and at normal red lights. For other countries outside of North America, the 0w20 is strictly for fuel savings, it says use ACEA C3 or C2 rated oil. I can tell you I have not noticed one drop in fuel economy with the ESP 0w30. I think it’s a whole lot of horse shi* with the whole fuel savings thing and the 0w20.
How was fuel dilution measured?

Don’t know. The analysis was done through blackstone
That's what he was driving at. Blackstone doesn't measure fuel dilution, they infer it from flashpoint and it is typically WAY off from a lab that uses GC. If Blackstone told you 1.5% you can safely assume that it is at least twice that, if not more.

Back