2020 Toyota Land Cruiser twin turbo 4.5 litre V8 diesel advice

I have quick questions as I am now relocated in the middle east (KSA) and bought new LC200 with diesel engine 4.5 L V8. Now my questions are:

1- Would you recommend using one of these available oils in the KSA market Rimula R6 M 15w40 orMobil Delvac MX 15w40? (BTW, I am using OEM oil filters from Toyota)
2- Odometer shows 3600 KM and Toyota recommends to wait till reach 5000 KM for the first oil change, should I wait or just go ahead and change the oil?
3- I recently heard about oil catch can and I am wondering if I need to fit one for a brand new truck?
4- Some people claim that a second fuel filter is something that the truck would benefit from, any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Originally Posted by momo
I have quick questions as I am now relocated in the middle east (KSA) and bought new LC200 with diesel engine 4.5 L V8. Now my questions are:

1- Would you recommend using one of these available oils in the KSA market Rimula R6 M 15w40 orMobil Delvac MX 15w40? (BTW, I am using OEM oil filters from Toyota)
2- Odometer shows 3600 KM and Toyota recommends to wait till reach 5000 KM for the first oil change, should I wait or just go ahead and change the oil?
3- I recently heard about oil catch can and I am wondering if I need to fit one for a brand new truck?
4- Some people claim that a second fuel filter is something that the truck would benefit from, any advice?
Thanks in advance,

I would change the oil as a precaution, the thing to be very very careful in your area are the filters, (engine & Cabin)
As far as Oil I personally lean toward Rimula, but it's only MHO

Reactions: JC1
The owners manual is the best place to start for oil selection specs. Change the oil when ever and what about the differentials trans etc? Catch can why?

Originally Posted by edyvw
Anything ACEA C3.

Indeed...

Since its 2020 its already equiped with DPF

Rimula R6M is FULL saps... You need R6LM version..

Or you can go also PCMO way... ACEA C3 or C4 (HTHS 3.5 min) + MB 229.51/52 or BMW LL-04 or VW 504/507...

Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT run an ACEA C3 oil in Saudi Arabia unless you are running ULSD.

Although there is a push to move to Euro V standards for the most part, sulfur content in gasoline is 1,000 ppm and diesel fuel wasn't anywhere near compliant by European standards at 5,000 ppm.

My 2 cents - avoid any lubricants sourced from the Middle East, unless you can guy Q8 Oil labeled products imported from the Netherlands. Avoid major brands sourced/blended in the UAE, such as Mobil and Castrol. If you can get Petro-Canada Duron HP 15W-40, that is what I would run if that were my vehicle, and stick to 3,000 km intervals unless you are running ULSD. Alternatively, look for an HDEO from brands like Fuchs, Liqui Moly, etc. blended outside the Middle East.

Reactions: JC1
Originally Posted by Falcon_LS
Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT run an ACEA C3 oil in Saudi Arabia unless you are running ULSD.

Although there is a push to move to Euro V standards for the most part, sulfur content in gasoline is 1,000 ppm and diesel fuel wasn't anywhere near compliant by European standards at 5,000 ppm.

My 2 cents - avoid any lubricants sourced from the Middle East, unless you can guy Q8 Oil labeled products imported from the Netherlands. Avoid major brands sourced/blended in the UAE, such as Mobil and Castrol. If you can get Petro-Canada Duron HP 15W-40, that is what I would run if that were my vehicle, and stick to 3,000 km intervals unless you are running ULSD. Alternatively, look for an HDEO from brands like Fuchs, Liqui Moly, etc. blended outside the Middle East.

I think you missed part where he said 4.5 V8 twin turbo diesel.

Last edited:

Nope, I mentioned diesel fuel has a sulfur content of 5,000 ppm.

I've seen FalconLS's posts on ME vehicle/fuel/lube issues for years and he knows what he says.

I will speak to the OP 3 and 4 points:

3) Oil catch-cans have varying effectiveness by platform/engine. They NEVER HURT and they are cheap. If recommended for your platform, do one. I have had only a gas 100LC and not a 200 or diesel.

4) Better diesel filtration is always good in modern (electronic, common rail, etc) engines. I have little road-going diesel experience, but lots of marine. I'd run as fine a final fuel filter as I could before running into the common system.

Originally Posted by Oro_O

I've seen FalconLS's posts on ME vehicle/fuel/lube issues for years and he knows what he says.

3) Oil catch-cans have varying effectiveness by platform/engine. They NEVER HURT and they are cheap. If recommended for your platform, do one. I have had only a gas 100LC and not a 200 or diesel.

4) Better diesel filtration is always good in modern (electronic, common rail, etc) engines. I have little road-going diesel experience, but lots of marine. I'd run as fine a final fuel filter as I could before running into the common system.

+1 FalconLS knows what he's talking about.

I'll just say congrats, and I wish we could buy or import those into the USA. I really made an effort when I was working for a Qatar based concern.

He can still go C3 regardless of sulfur level, but he will need to cut his OCI by half if DPF is present. I am not sure is DPF present for that market? That is the key here.

He can still go C3 regardless of sulfur level, but he will need to cut his OCI by half if DPF is present. I am not sure is DPF present for that market? That is the key here.
Sorry for reviving this post again. To answer your question, DPF is not present in this market.

Ok, so no DPF; presumably no SCR/urea either. It sounds like as far as emissions it may or hopefully not have EGR (exhaust gas recirculation). And the fuel is 5000ppm sulfur.
I therefore strongly recommend using the Rimula R6M or a similar ACEA E4/MB228.5 high SAPS oil.
I use Delvac 1 SHC 5W40 in my 05 Unimog since it’s what I can get in Alaska and it’s great for low temperature starts, not a problem in the Gulf. Most all other E4s are 10W40, also good for cold starts.
I don’t know what your sump capacity is, I would guess ~10-12L?
With the R6M I would sample oil at 8000km and every 4000km after that and be sure to have lab check TBN (total base number) till it drops to 4-5; then change it. You can buy an inexpensive suction device to draw samples out of sump via dipstick tube.
There may be an oil analysis lab in the Gulf. If not Detroit Diesel has a lab in Prague.
It will probably pleasantly surprise you how long the alkalinity in R6M lasts even running 5000ppm fuel.
I drove round trip to Mongolia and back 4 years ago. 25600miles = 41000 km. Fuel was 300ppm for 14000km, 3000ppm for 2000 km. Fuel consumption ~26-27 L/100km, oil consumption 1L/4000 km which is normal for my engine. Sump 29.6L. TBN dropped from 16 in fresh oil to 11.5 when I got home and changed it. I could have run it 80-100,000 km; Fe (iron) was only 44ppm and most experts consider 100ppm as a minimum threshold for changing, some say 200ppm.
A high quality high SAPS oil can last much longer than one thinks. But you have to be scientific and test applicable parameters frequently, especially the first time.
Blindly sticking to “change it every 3000km” advices is ridiculous and wasteful.
There’s many knowledgeable individuals on this forum that can give you good advice re oil analyses. Feel free to PM me.

Ok, so no DPF; presumably no SCR/urea either. It sounds like as far as emissions it may or hopefully not have EGR (exhaust gas recirculation). And the fuel is 5000ppm sulfur.
I therefore strongly recommend using the Rimula R6M or a similar ACEA E4/MB228.5 high SAPS oil.
I use Delvac 1 SHC 5W40 in my 05 Unimog since it’s what I can get in Alaska and it’s great for low temperature starts, not a problem in the Gulf. Most all other E4s are 10W40, also good for cold starts.
I don’t know what your sump capacity is, I would guess ~10-12L?
With the R6M I would sample oil at 8000km and every 4000km after that and be sure to have lab check TBN (total base number) till it drops to 4-5; then change it. You can buy an inexpensive suction device to draw samples out of sump via dipstick tube.
There may be an oil analysis lab in the Gulf. If not Detroit Diesel has a lab in Prague.
It will probably pleasantly surprise you how long the alkalinity in R6M lasts even running 5000ppm fuel.
I drove round trip to Mongolia and back 4 years ago. 25600miles = 41000 km. Fuel was 300ppm for 14000km, 3000ppm for 2000 km. Fuel consumption ~26-27 L/100km, oil consumption 1L/4000 km which is normal for my engine. Sump 29.6L. TBN dropped from 16 in fresh oil to 11.5 when I got home and changed it. I could have run it 80-100,000 km; Fe (iron) was only 44ppm and most experts consider 100ppm as a minimum threshold for changing, some say 200ppm.
A high quality high SAPS oil can last much longer than one thinks. But you have to be scientific and test applicable parameters frequently, especially the first time.
Blindly sticking to “change it every 3000km” advices is ridiculous and wasteful.
There’s many knowledgeable individuals on this forum that can give you good advice re oil analyses. Feel free to PM me.
Thank you very much for your detailed reply. As far as I know, EGR was introduced in 2018 and 2019 trucks and there were a lot of complaints from customers about heavy soot even with new engines and then Toyota issued a recall for all 2018 and 2019 trucks to be reprogrammed and deleted the EGR. So, I am presuming that my 2020 truck does not have EGR.

The mileage is now 62K km and I have been regularly using Delo Ultra Gold 15W40 CI-4 since I can buy them in bulk in very reasonable price (1 Liter for $2.33). So, I change the oil every 5000 km and the OEM filter every 10,000 km to since the OEM filter can designed for 10K km without any problem and this also would reduce dry start up. I have also install Mann ProVent Oil Catch Can and I was surprised the amount of dirty black fluid that catches (100 ml to 150 ml) every 5000 km.

I also change air filter and cabin filter every 10K to 15K km.

The Delo Gold is good stuff but not quite as good as the R6M.
I’d do an analysis off a suctioned sample every 4-5000km for especially viscosity, TBN and Fe; I think you’d find that you can go 20000 km or even further off 1 oil change. Sump capacity???
No EGR = excellent!!

The Delo Gold is good stuff but not quite as good as the R6M.
I’d do an analysis off a suctioned sample every 4-5000km for especially viscosity, TBN and Fe; I think you’d find that you can go 20000 km or even further off 1 oil change. Sump capacity???
No EGR = excellent!!
Sump capacity is 9.2 L

Yes, indeed. I am looking for oil analysis lab in the region.

Back