2020 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Mobil-1 0W16 9,191 unit / 6,985 OCI

This is the first uoa on a 2020 Toyota Avalon Hybrid. I initially changed the factory fill oil on this new engine at 2,206 miles using Mobil-1 0W16 and a Toyota filter. I was hoping to get out some of the initial wear particles. This oil sample was then taken at 9,191 miles by sampling pump and tube through the dip stick. I did not change the oil when I took this sample. I am interested in thoughts on the copper and Si or any other observations you care to make. I was a little surprised at the low Iron level on a new engine. The engine is now getting the first "Free" 10,000 mile Toyota oil change and service in a few days. I assume that will be the full synthetic 0W16 Toyota oil which looks to be very robust.

The testing company was CAT SOS Laboratory.

OIL Mobil-1 0W16
MILES IN USE 6,985 miles
MILES 9,191
SAMPLE TAKEN 9-23-20

ALUMINUM 7
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 9
COPPER 33
LEAD 0
TIN 2
MOLYBDENUM 196
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 1
POTASSIUM 3
BORON 88
SILICON 64
SODIUM 0
CALCIUM 1174
MAGNESIUM 647
PHOSPHORUS 636
ZINC 757

INSOLUBLES 0.4
WATER N
OXI 13
NIT 9
V100 C 6.7

I wasn't always so happy with CAT SOS though the local CAT dealer when I used it, there were several UOAs I dropped off that had additives that weren't present in the oil I used per VOA. That made me think they weren't cleaning out the machine between runs as well as they could have. Still, it was convenient to be able to drop it off near my work rather than mailing it away to some far off lab.

Side note: where do you get 0w16? I did not see it on a recent trip to my local WalMart.

I wasn't always so happy with CAT SOS though the local CAT dealer when I used it, there were several UOAs I dropped off that had additives that weren't present in the oil I used per VOA. That made me think they weren't cleaning out the machine between runs as well as they could have. Still, it was convenient to be able to drop it off near my work rather than mailing it away to some far off lab.

Side note: where do you get 0w16? I did not see it on a recent trip to my local WalMart.

I have used the CAT SOS now intermittently on several vehicles over 20 years and have not noticed any findings that draw my suspicion. Most of my oil changes however have been on diesel engines so the add packs are usually robust. The CAT SOS kits I pick-up include a prepaid mailer for around $15 each. Results normally come back within a week or maybe 10 days via email. I have considered the WIX kit but I see a lot of reviews on Amazon that seem to imply the results never come. Not sure if that is an issue or not.

My local Walmart carries the Mobil-1 0W16. I have seen it there many times. I just looked on their website and it was listed as available for pickup today at my local store or by order. You might just talk with the staff in the area to see if they could get some for you.

This is the first uoa on a 2020 Toyota Avalon Hybrid. I initially changed the factory fill oil on this new engine at 2,206 miles using Mobil-1 0W16 and a Toyota filter. I was hoping to get out some of the initial wear particles. This oil sample was then taken at 9,191 miles by sampling pump and tube through the dip stick. I did not change the oil when I took this sample. I am interested in thoughts on the copper and Si or any other observations you care to make. I was a little surprised at the low Iron level on a new engine. The engine is now getting the first "Free" 10,000 mile Toyota oil change and service in a few days. I assume that will be the full synthetic 0W16 Toyota oil which looks to be very robust.

The testing company was CAT SOS Laboratory.

OIL Mobil-1 0W16
MILES IN USE 6,985 miles
MILES 9,191
SAMPLE TAKEN 9-23-20

ALUMINUM 7
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 9
COPPER 33
LEAD 0
TIN 2
MOLYBDENUM 196
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 1
POTASSIUM 3
BORON 88
SILICON 64
SODIUM 0
CALCIUM 1174
MAGNESIUM 647
PHOSPHORUS 636
ZINC 757

INSOLUBLES 0.4
WATER N
OXI 13
NIT 9
V100 C 6.7

did you notice any fuel efficiency difference between TGMO and Mobil 1?

Mathew_Boss -I do not think I could claim any mileage change between TGMO and Mobil 1 that I would attribute to the oil. From the time the car was new, my average mpg has increased very gradually starting around 41.5 and currently averaging about 44 by hand calculation. My guess is that change has taken place as the engine breaks in and possibly from me learning how to best drive the car to maximize the mileage. Of the two oils, and from looking at other UOA results, it looks like the TGMO is more robust in the additive pack.

I would guess that low iron is due to the low amount of iron components in the engine.
3 come to mind - crankshaft, piston rods, and rings.
Block, pistons and head are aluminum with low friction plating where there is a benefit such as piston skirts.

Mathew_Boss -I do not think I could claim any mileage change between TGMO and Mobil 1 that I would attribute to the oil. From the time the car was new, my average mpg has increased very gradually starting around 41.5 and currently averaging about 44 by hand calculation. My guess is that change has taken place as the engine breaks in and possibly from me learning how to best drive the car to maximize the mileage. Of the two oils, and from looking at other UOA results, it looks like the TGMO is more robust in the additive pack.

Thanks for the reply. My wife just got a 2020 Hybrid that takes 0W-16 and the Mobil 1 seems to be the cheapest and easiest to get. Was thinking of just changing every 5k miles with that. Curious about the Pennzoil Hybrid specific oil though and if that nets any better mileage.

From what I've learned here at Bob's:
Your Silicon level will come down as new engine typically shed the gasket & RTV material(did I say that right?) which seem to be the cause of high Si ppm in new engines.

Don't be surprised if your Toyota Dealer DOES NOT use TGMO on your freebie OCIs. They're allowed to use whatever brand of oil they want. For example, my Lexus Dealers(Rochester/Buffalo) both used QS products for their OCIs on customers vehicles and only use TGMO when requested by the customer. But, who knows?

And I've seen more often than not, if they don't have your particular grade in stock, they may in fact use something else, e.g., if your engine requires 0W16 they may use 0W20. Another example...my Nissan dealer often uses 5W30(freebie) instead of 0W20.

Your Silicon level will come down as new engine typically shed the gasket & RTV material(did I say that right?) which seem to be the cause of high Si ppm in new engines.

Don't be surprised if your Toyota Dealer DOES NOT use TGMO on your freebie OCIs. They're allowed to use whatever brand of oil they want. For example, my Lexus Dealers(Rochester/Buffalo) both used QS products for their OCIs on customers vehicles and only use TGMO when requested by the customer. But, who knows?

And I've seen more often than not, if they don't have your particular grade in stock, they may in fact use something else, e.g., if your engine requires 0W16 they may use 0W20. Another example...my Nissan dealer often uses 5W30(freebie) instead of 0W20.

I agree about the silicon level coming down that it is most likely the RTV.

I did ask at least three times if they assured me that they would be using the Toyota branded oil and was assured they would. The Part Number: 00279BLK16 on the invoice and seems to confirm that. I presume, the dealership receives payment directly from Toyota for that 10,000 mile service and parts used. With a former GMC truck, I did receive Delco synthetic as part of the free oil change program. Once that ended the dealership told me they would normally switch to their favorite synthetic substitute unless I paid extra. I started doing my own changes again at that point.

I have given some thought to using the 0W20 oil. So far I am happy with the wear pattern on a new engine with almost 7000 miles on the oil. I plan to sample again at about 9,000 miles of use on the oil to see what it is looking like at that level. Those results should also confirm if they used Toyota oil since that has super high Moly. I only have one more free oil change so after that I will look at my plan going forward.

Thanks for the reply. My wife just got a 2020 Hybrid that takes 0W-16 and the Mobil 1 seems to be the cheapest and easiest to get. Was thinking of just changing every 5k miles with that. Curious about the Pennzoil Hybrid specific oil though and if that nets any better mileage.

I really think that the Toyota 0W16 oil looks to be a fantastic oil. Just a bit more expensive and a bigger hassle to get. Assuming you have a new engine, my thought is to do one change in the first 2-3,000 miles and then let the dealership handle the 10,000 mile change. I plan to do some UOAs until I am comfortable with the engine wear patterns. I am also considering doing some experiments later with other oils including a 0W30 or 0W40 after seeing some prior discussions on BITOG. Just not until the car is out of the warranty however.

I regularly see 0/16 in M1 or SuperTech at Walmart.... have for sometime in my area. The current Camry 2.5 is heading into it's 4th model year using it. So that weight is out there

I regularly see 0/16 in M1 or SuperTech at Walmart.... have for sometime in my area. The current Camry 2.5 is heading into it's 4th model year using it. So that weight is out there
WM just cleared out all the SN PLUS RC 0W-16 SuperTech at $3.50/5qt. jug. I haven’t seen any new stock come in and they replaced its spot on the shelf.

That’s a great looking analysis. The Avalon is a very nice sedan. I wasn’t aware there was a hybrid version. That is excellent fuel economy for that size of vehicle.

Double check to make sure the dealer is using TGMO. Generally they will use another brand of oil and only dispense the TGMO when the owner asks for it.

I really think that the Toyota 0W16 oil looks to be a fantastic oil. Just a bit more expensive and a bigger hassle to get. Assuming you have a new engine, my thought is to do one change in the first 2-3,000 miles and then let the dealership handle the 10,000 mile change. I plan to do some UOAs until I am comfortable with the engine wear patterns. I am also considering doing some experiments later with other oils including a 0W30 or 0W40 after seeing some prior discussions on BITOG. Just not until the car is out of the warranty however.
I get my Toy 0W-16 5 Liters with OE filter from dealer for about $35 US.

Decent cost imo.

WM just cleared out all the SN PLUS RC 0W-16 SuperTech at $3.50/5qt. jug. I haven’t seen any new stock come in and they replaced its spot on the shelf.
Interesting. I was in WM less than 2 weeks ago and saw both the M1 and ST. I'll have to pay attention next time I'm there.

Interesting. I was in WM less than 2 weeks ago and saw both the M1 and ST. I'll have to pay attention next time I'm there.
Do a price check on that SuperTech 0W-16. You may be able to score a good deal. Its price on the shelf was $14.47 at my local Walmart’s but it rang up as $3.50/jug. I now possess enough for 14 oil changes...

Do a price check on that SuperTech 0W-16. You may be able to score a good deal. Its price on the shelf was $14.47 at my local Walmart’s but it rang up as $3.50/jug. I now possess enough for 14 oil changes...
Don't have anything spec'd for that right now

In my area Toyota uses Valvoline in the bulk tanks. I'm sure they will be happy to use GTMO for a "small fee"

Back