2020 Subaru Legacy 2.5, 11,065 OCI, Kirkland 0w20, Wix Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Explain to me how the length of an OCI has any affect on a head gasket leak????? I'm not an ASE certified expert, but I'm smart enough to say this is HIGHLY unlikely. How does a head gasket know if the oil is changed every 5k or 10k miles????

What is most likley is that the design, components, assembly of the Subaru engines are susceptible to eventual issues simply due to aging of the engine, and not the OCI duration. Old engines get external leaks due to seals aging. Old engines get internal leaks due to combustion byproducts accumulating, and aging of seals (such as valve seals).

I just love how some folks immediately blame the lube and service intervals when a problem arises, when most of the time it's simply annecdotal evidence surrounded by coincidence. (not directed to you, Ignatius, but the sources of these so-called "issues" which you are merely echoing).

I certainly would agree that an OCI that is greatly extended past the oil's ability to cope with the duration can cause issues like sludgle forming, but blaming a head gasket failure on the OCI is, IMO, simply absurd and indicates to me that the person making the claim is not thinking through the problem clearly. Just because "thousands" of people make this claim does not make it ture. They are making the jump from correlation to causation with no proof. Did it EVER occur to anyone that the issues we speak of (head gaskets, and oil consumption) are related to AGE (miles accumulated on the engine) and not OCI (miles between oil changes)???? Have any of the "thousands" of quasi-self-described experts done a detailed Red-X root cause analysis, or used some other credible methodology other than just guessing and blaming the easiest thing?

Did it occur to Surbaru that the head bolts they chose to use are fatiguing over thousands of heat cycles?
Did it cocur to Surabru that the head and/or gasket material may be affected by thousands of heat cycles and insufficient to endure the application?
Nah ... let's blame the OCIs. Never mind the fact that the circulating oil does not even touch the head bolts, and even if it did, how would the head bolts or gaskets know how long the oil has been in use ? ... Couldn't be the materials they selected or design they employ, could it?

- Am I to believe that a high mileage Subie engine has never had a head gasket failure or oil consumption issue if the OCIs are short? Never? Not one?
- Am I to believe that a high mileage Subie engine is assured to have these issues if the OCIs are long? Always?

DO NOT CONFUSE CORRELATION WITH CAUSATION !!! The coincidence of OCI and mechanical issues shoudl not be automatically linked in blame. Allow me to make emphasis in what I elude to ... the combination ignorance and rhetoric lead to bad and illogical advice.

Since you brought it up, Ignatius ... what do you do for Surbaru? Are you a corporate employeed engineer? A dealer service tech? Perhaps you can explain to me, in detail, how a head bolt or head gasket knows how long oil has been in use?

Oil acidity harms engine seals, the longer the oil change interval the more acidic the oil becomes. This is not to mention the effects of fuel dilution in motor oil that contributes to it.

The fact of the matter is that these are long-standing issues that people have complained about ad nauseam online and otherwise for over a decade. I mean WTHeck???

Oil acidity harms engine seals, the longer the oil change interval the more acidic the oil becomes. This is not to mention the effects of fuel dilution in motor oil that contributes to it.

The fact of the matter is that these are long-standing issues that people have complained about ad nauseam online and otherwise for over a decade. I mean WTHeck???
You literally answered no question at all and totally missed the message of *correlation does not imply causation*. Surprising, given your credentials of “the owner of a Subaru enthusiast website” and some unknown job (service writer?) at a Subaru dealer. I think Subaru could benefit from having a subject matter expert like u at their corporate headquarters. 😎

You literally answered no question at all and totally missed the message of *correlation does not imply causation*. Surprising, given your credentials of “the owner of a Subaru enthusiast website” and some unknown job (service writer?) at a Subaru dealer. I think Subaru could benefit from having a subject matter expert like u at their corporate headquarters. 😎

Well it's interesting because much of what I'm expressing I'm not saying of my own accord or expertise but rather something that's been shared with me by the manufacturer themselves. So on one hand we're not supposed to listen to the manufacturer on this subject but on the other hand we have had a super abundance of people making a big deal about the manufacturer having a 23 PSI bypass on the OEM oil filter. So let's say what I have shared about the head gasket issue is incorrect, explain to me what is wrong with what I've shared about the oil change interval issue? Explain to me if I am wrong as to whether or not Subaru, the manufacturer, at one point had a 7500 mile standard oil change interval and reduced that to a 6000 mile oil change interval after there were widespread complaints of oil consumption issues?

Instead of telling me that I'm not answering questions when I asked that question first before you claimed I didn't answer something else after the fact.

So listen to the manufacturer when it comes to the oil filter but don't listen to the manufacturer when it comes to oil consumption issues and head gasket issues, it reminds me of the cognitive dissonance in the thread linked below:

It amazes me how many people on this site will dig in on one position at one point and then flip flop at another point and act as if they never held the former position. Again, if you want to do that than don't complain when things go awry because of decisions you have either made or influenced.

Well it's interesting because much of what I'm expressing I'm not saying of my own accord or expertise but rather something that's been shared with me by the manufacturer themselves. So on one hand we're not supposed to listen to the manufacturer on this subject but on the other hand we have had a super abundance of people making a big deal about the manufacturer having a 23 PSI bypass on the OEM oil filter. So let's say what I have shared about the head gasket issue is incorrect, explain to me what is wrong with what I've shared about the oil change interval issue? Explain to me if I am wrong as to whether or not Subaru, the manufacturer, at one point had a 7500 mile standard oil change interval and reduce that to a 6,000 mile oil change interval after there were widespread complaints of oil consumption issues?

So listen to the manufacturer when it comes to the oil filter but don't listen to the manufacturer when it comes to oil consumption issues and head gasket issues, it reminds me of the cognitive dissonance in the thread linked below:

It amazes me how many people on this site will dig in on 9ne position at one point and then flip flop at another point and act as if they never held the former position. Again, if you want to do that than don't complain when things go awry because of decisions you have either made or influenced.
WAT?! Lol

Please share the TSB that Subaru sent out which SHOULD include their reasoning of decreasing the OCI? Is the OPs model affected?

What are you even saying? “Flip flop at another point?” 😂 the OP posted a UOA and u came in implying that his engine would suffer dire consequences due to extended OCIs even though the report was good/great.

WAT?! Lol

Please share the TSB that Subaru sent out which SHOULD include their reasoning of decreasing the OCI? Is the OPs model affected?

What are you even saying? “Flip flop at another point?” 😂 the OP posted a UOA and u came in implying that his engine would suffer dire consequences due to extended OCIs even though the report was good/great.

You and anyone else can find this out on their own as it is publicly available information, check out the website www.cars101.com to validate. If you claim to know anything about Subaru and you do not know this you might as well tell me that you're not aware of the fact that smoking cigarettes can contribute to lung cancer. Oh I forgot the correlation causation blah blah blah thing, BITOG knows more than the people who build these cars, work on these cars, and repair the problems when things go wrong. Oh by the way I've been on that side when it comes to the oil filter bypass thing and I've been told that I'm wrong even though I used arguments similar to your correlation causation bit.

When Subaru began using the FB25B engine they recommended a 7500 mile oil change interval and widespread oil consumption issues were reported. 3 years later it was lessened to 6000 mile maximum intervals and the oil consumption issues have still not gone away, in fact Subaru openly acknowledges the likelihood of oil consumption issues even to this day and in the owner's manual of every Subaru vehicle. So if 7500 mile OCI = bad long term results and even a 6000 mile OCI cannot necessarily lessen the probability of bad long-term results, why exactly should we be cheerleading for 11000-12000 mile oil change intervals just because the people doing them post a UOA on BITOG?

Two things are being blamed on the OCI; head gasket issues and oil consumption issues. Let's take a step back here and address these one at a time.

According to Ignatuis, the "acidity" attacks the "engine seals". First, what seals? Are we discussing the head gasket? It's a "seal", but oil has VERY LITTLE contact with the head gasket other than the peripheral circumference of the oil drain back holes from the head-to-block junction; the surface area of that contact patch is pathetically small. Not for one second do I believe that the OCI duration can affect a head gasket in that manner. Further, to what level of acidty are we talking here??? If you had some manner of tangible proof, some level of acid mangitude which causes the head gasket to decay, then I'd be all ears. If you could point to some level of acid, showing a slope or curve relationship to head gasket life, please share; it might make me believe. Some level of sound lab data or field study would be very helpful. Otherwise I don't buy this for a second.

As for seal life and oil consumption, I'll again ask for proof. It is not I should provide proof; I didn't make the claim. He who stakes the claim should provide the evidence to back up the claim.
- Why did Subaru shorten the OCIs? Per your claim it was to reduce oil consumption.
- where does the oil consumption come from? Is it blow-by past the rings? Is it valve stem seals erroding? Is it PCV escapement?
Unless we know the route of oil leaving, we can't really understand the rationale for the shorter OCIs, can we?
And how does a shorter OCI make for less oil consumption? If it's acid as you claim, why does Subaru not advise it's customers and dealer service centers to get TAN analysis on every oil change? I mean, how do they KNOW that 6k miles is safe, but 7.5k miles isn't safe? Different oils have differeing levels of TBN, so it's not likley they can say that any one OCI is too short or too long, can they???

Example: A car that sees lots of short trips in a humid area like the gulf coast is going to see more acid accumulate in the oil more than a car that lives in the arid desert and drives long cycles. Wouldn't the desert car running 8k miles likley have less acid than the gulf-coast car running 5k miles???

My point? The OCI duration alone cannot predict the level of acid in the sump. Any one specific vehicle can have more or less acid than another car, with the exact same OCI, because of drive cycles and environment. So to say that "acid eats the seals" is the reason Subaru shortened the OCI seems, well, perposterous to me.

Now, it could be possible that shorter OCIs make for less contamination left behind; less debis in the oil means less debris on the surfaces of the head. High deposits of sludge could cause "hot spots" where the oil can't cool the head well, and that in turn makes the head get too hot in localized areas, which in turn may cause the head to warp and/or the head bolts to stretch. But that goes back to my comments before regarding design and component material choices.
* After all, that was Toyota's answer many years ago when they had engines that sludged up; shorten the OCIs. Is that the root cause here? Long OCIs are causing the Subie heads to get sludged up and too hot and warp?
* Saturn SL2 engines had piston rings with no oil drain back, and so they had rings coke up when longer OCIs were present; they changed the OCIs from 5k to 3k, as I recall. Of course, that really didn't take into account whether you were using a low group II oil or a premium PAO or GTL (which would resist coking to a higher degree).

Ya know what would help here? A TSB reference or some credible data showing actual causation and not conjecture based on correlation.

I have an engineering degree. I worked for Ford for 16 years. Then I transitioned to HVAC manufacturing. I did quality control and statistical process eanalysis for a living for over a decade. I ran all manner of tests in HALTs and field studies. I helped write DOEs (design of experiments). I've studied oil analysis for over a decade. In no way am I an "expert" as to knowing what Subaru chooses to do, but I can understand sound logic when I hear it, and I recognize a desparate attempt to deflect legitimate questions when I hear it as well. Nothing you've written here so far convinces me that acid causes head gasket problems; in my mind that is next to impossible. And while I might agree that sludge could be a cause for shorter OCIs, I've not seen any direct proof that's why Subaru took this path as part of their rationale.

To use your own example as proof of my complaint ...
Smoking does not cause cancer. Carinogens cause cancer. Smoke is in correlation to cancer, but carcinogens cause cancer. THAT is a distinction which seems to elude you. Smoking cigarettes which have been heavily manipulated by the OEMs to contain all manner of addictive chemicals, many of which are proven to be carcinogens, will have a high propensity in some people to develope cancer. Some people who smoke those same cigarettes don't get cancer because of genetic resistence to those carcinogens; not everyone who smokes will get cancer. Further, not all cancer is caused by smoking; other things contain carcinogens as well. Smoking cigars has been shown to have a much lower risk of cancer relative to cigarettes, though it is still elevated over not smoking at all. I realize it's the easy path to simply say "smoking causes cancer", but the reality is that's not true. Smoking cigarettes has a higher probability of resulting cancer in some folks because of many factors including genetics, carcinogens, frequency, age, other things like acohol consumption, lifestyle choices, work environments, etc.
Smoking is in correlation with cancer. It may result in cancer in some people, but it does not cause cancer in anyone.
Carcinogens are proven to cause cancer; that's the defintion of what they are.

So please go find me proof that shorter OCIs help head gaskets last longer in Subarus, or prove that longer OCIs are the "carcinogen" of head gasket and seal life.

To be clear, I'm not saying you're wrong.
I'm saying you've not proven you're right, and many of the claims you've made are improbable at best to me.

Simply put, what is it in a longer OCI that causes head gasket failures or seal failures? And don't say "acid" because unless you can back that up with real study data, I call bovine manure on that basis.

Last edited:
You and anyone else can find this out on their own as it is publicly available information, check out the website www.cars101.com to validate. If you claim to know anything about Subaru and you do not know this you might as well tell me that you're not aware of the fact that smoking cigarettes can contribute to lung cancer. Oh I forgot the correlation causation blah blah blah thing, BITOG knows more than the people who build these cars, work on these cars, and repair the problems when things go wrong. Oh by the way I've been on that side when it comes to the oil filter bypass thing and I've been told that I'm wrong even though I used arguments similar to your correlation causation bit.

When Subaru began using the FB25B engine they recommended a 7500 mile oil change interval and widespread oil consumption issues were reported. 3 years later it was lessened to 6000 mile maximum intervals and the oil consumption issues have still not gone away, in fact Subaru openly acknowledges the likelihood of oil consumption issues even to this day and in the owner's manual of every Subaru vehicle. So if 7500 mile OCI = bad long term results and even a 6000 mile OCI cannot necessarily lessen the probability of bad long-term results, why exactly should we be cheerleading for 11000-12000 mile oil change intervals just because the people doing them post a UOA on BITOG?
Sorry, you’re the one making all these claims. If you didn’t know how it works in science/court the one making the claim has the burden of proof. Being that you own the “biggest Subaru enthusiast website” I’d imagine you have all this info available to you, especially given you work at a dealership.

Nobody claimed to know more than all those people touching Subarus, stop throwing baseless claims. We are commenting on the results of a UOA. You, on the other hand, came in to fear monger with no facts or objective evidence, just lots of anecdotes.

I don’t know where I read or saw it, but I thought I heard that Subaru changed from a 7,500 oci to a 6,000 oci because cars were using oil, and owners were driving cars that were too low on oil. Check your oil.

I drive an hour one way to work on interstates. My car gets up to temperature and then some daily. I don’t worry about fuel or condensation. I know the fuel was high in this sample. I knew it would be. I started the car and moved it in cold weather.

I don’t feel I’m the “normal” Subaru owner.

I don’t know where I read or saw it, but I thought I heard that Subaru changed from a 7,500 oci to a 6,000 oci because cars were using oil, and owners were driving cars that were too low on oil. Check your oil.

I drive an hour one way to work on interstates. My car gets up to temperature and then some daily. I don’t worry about fuel or condensation. I know the fuel was high in this sample. I knew it would be. I started the car and moved it in cold weather.

I don’t feel I’m the “normal” Subaru owner.

I apologize for being the cause of having so much drama follow me into this thread. In my experience and in my opinion based on that experience as well as my experience working with Subaru and hearing feedback from Subaru as well as hearing feedback from thousands of owners be it in person or online (to include countless people on BITOG) I have come to deduce that any oil change interval beyond 6000 miles on any Subaru engine is inherently a detriment to the long term health of the engine. Subaru agrees with this and has for over 8 years, I have only shared what has been public knowledge over that same time frame.

You are welcome to do whatever you want, fair warning that problems may arise as they have with so many others who have engaged in extended oil change intervals beyond 6000 miles or 3000 miles if your driving qualifies to be considered as severe service.

How many total miles are we talking on these engines that see these problems? I will probably have 300,000 before most have 100,000.

On my 2018 Outback that developed an oil consumption issue it happened after 60,000 miles or so. I went from not having any issue at all to having my engine consume a quart of oil every 5000 miles or so. It got to the point that I allowed my low oil warning light to dictate when I changed my oil.

So 6,000 mile oil changes didn’t prevent that?

Have you used different oils? I thought about trying the Idemitsu 0w20, but I wonder if it would have usage issues. It appears thinner than Kirkland from what I gather.

He was awarded an honorary doctorate in automotive engineering from HIS website.

Nope I graduated Magna Cum Laude from the Limbaugh Institute. I received the prestigious Medal of Truth for all the indispensable wisdom I share.

So 6,000 mile oil changes didn’t prevent that?

Have you used different oils? I thought about trying the Idemitsu 0w20, but I wonder if it would have usage issues. It appears thinner than Kirkland from what I gather.

I have gotten the best results from Valvoline oils myself, Valvoline EP will likely be my go-to oil from now on.

One quart of oil every 5k miles isn't exactly to be considered high oil consumption; that's a very common consumption rate across a lot of typical vehicles today, and has been for decades.

So far this entire thread has been talking about the symptoms, and not the causes.

Q1: What CAUSES the oil consumption?
If Subaru is such a great company (and I'm not saying they aren't ...), then have they not figured out the root cause of the problem? Their only answer is to put a bandaid on it? (So their approach is to address the issue by telling folks to change oil more often; that way Subaru doesn't have to do anything other than to tell owners to spend more money on OCIs ...)
Q2: How does changing oil more often alleviate this oil consumption?
What is it about shorter OCIs that makes oil consumption go away (or at least reduce)? What is the key factor(s) that make the OCI duration the key to success? How is it that ONLY the OCI can change this symptom, which does not apparently take into account the length of cycle operation, the humidity of the area, etc?

Some engine designs have a propensity to coke rings, or burn oil, or sludge up heads. Other engine designs seem immune to these issues.
I've read nothing so far that convinces me that the OCI duration has any plausible effect on head gaskets.
As far as oil consumption, is it possible that the materials and design on the Subie boxer engines are just prone to some undesirable issues?
Could those issues be fixed by improving design or components? Perhaps.
Could those issues be masked by telling customers to spend more of their money? Apparently so.

The OPs oil consumption rate is admirable; only 1/2 qrt in 11k miles. I remind all that every oil, not matter what brand or grade, has some manner of volatility; some more or less than others. All typical engines will see some manner of oil "consumption" (past rings, seals, PVC). It's not unheard of to see some oil disappear over an OCI, if that OCI is run long enough. Shortening the OCI duration in the Subie engines isn't altering the oil consumption rate; it's only masking it by making sure you fill it up with a drain/fill to the top, rather than just "topping off" the sump.

Last edited:

And that's not true unless the TBN reaches zero. Otherwise any acidity is being neutralized by the buffering additives in the oil.

And fuel dilution does not contribute to the acidity. Blow-by of combustion products along with moisture does, and it's related to the sulfur content of the fuel.

B
BITOG knows more than the people who build these cars, work on these cars, and repair the problems when things go wrong. Oh by the way I've been on that side when it comes to the oil filter bypass thing and I've been told that I'm wrong even though I used arguments similar to your correlation causation bit.
Yes, in a lot of cases certain bitogers do know more. Also you refer to people who work on these cars, yes we know most mechanics are very knowledgeable engine oil experts. Not.

One quart of oil every 5k miles isn't exactly to be considered high oil consumption; that's a very common consumption rate across a lot of typical vehicles today, and has been for decades.

In my experience a large majority of the ownership that has experienced these issues does not think it is typical, perhaps there is a lack of knowledge and understanding of what is and is not typical. For example Subaru will not consider oil consumption to be outside of what they would consider to be normal parameters unless or until it exceeds one quart per 1200 miles. The problem is that they will not extend any assistance to any customer unless or until that happens.

So if your engine is consuming one quart of oil every 2000 miles that is not considered excessive consumption by Subaru standards. Now I don't know what everyone else may think of that but I can refer to a superabundance of owners who have had similar or even worse oil consumption issues that Subaru will not let the finger to help out.

That upsets people and my thought is how can we avoid allowing the problem to develop to that point?

I've heard that short tripped subarus will eat the valve cover gaskets from the condensation rich oil sitting against them, but that's not a long oil change issue. That's a short trip issue.

It is well documented that the coolant , if not changed, will damage the head gaskets. But I'm failing to see how long oil change intervals will make the coolant eat the head gaskets.

And the FB engines don't have the head gasket problems because they pass the coolant to the head externally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back