2020 Subaru Forester 10 months 9816 miles

Today I performed my 6k mile or 12 month (which ever comes first) scheduled maintenance on my 2020 Subaru Forester. Owners Manual specified changing cabin filter which I did. Didn't look bad at all, but changed any way since I have 2 on hand. Waste of money to change so early on......

clean or check every year. You can go 2-4 years if not in dusty areas or farm and they still look clean.

At 20,000 miles, this is the dirtiest my CAF ever looked in terms of light blocking, black dirt.
All other CAFs have looked MUCH cleaner after 20K service.
What differs is the quantum of pine needles, fluffy seeds and ground up acorns. I call that "the 3 dimensional dirt".
Any of this dirt can take on moisture and smell but it hasn't yet.
I've settled on 20K-25K miles. If something changes, I'll consider changing my interval.

Attachments

• DSC00491.jpg
    DSC00491.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 34
My area most be different. My entire CAF is covered and dark within a year or 10k miles. Dirt, dust, leaves, pine needles all in harmony....
For a few years, I would just change my CAF every oil change. Commute has changed and can go yearly.

I drive with my windows down. I breath unfiltered air :)
Major benefit of the CAF is keeping the tree deritus from unbalancing the blower and also keeping organic matter off the Evaporator. But if mice crawl up from the heater outlet ducts - which they often do, Then its all for naught. They love Those heater tunnels under the front seats

Back