2020 Ranger 2.3L Ecoboost, 4k miles QSUD 5w-30, Wix v Blackstone

This is the first UOA on my Ranger and the 2.3L EB. I sent samples to Wix and Blackstone. The numbers are actually pretty close. I noticed Wix does not do flashpoint and fuel contamination but do include TBN. My engine is not bad but I've found that these engines are tough on oil and suffer from fuel in the oil. Think I'll be sticking with a 5k OCI. M1 EP 5w-30 went back into the engine.

Attachments

• Ranger UOA1 (Medium).jpg
    Ranger UOA1 (Medium).jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 688
  • Ranger Wix UOA1 (Medium).jpg
    Ranger Wix UOA1 (Medium).jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 686
Last edited:
Things will settle down after she is broken in.
New engines chew oil. I don't see much fuel reported, though I bet some of that low viscosity is due to fuel.

The Mobil 1 EP may report better just due to the break in, but it may not be any better.

I don't know if I would have used M1 EP just yet given it has some PAO at least it used to.

Engine looks healthy though and reports well for a motor with the power equivalent of 2x its displacement

Curious, Does the oil cap say 5W30?

Things will settle down after she is broken in.
New engines chew oil. I don't see much fuel reported, though I bet some of that low viscosity is due to fuel.

The Mobil 1 EP may report better just due to the break in, but it may not be any better.

I don't know if I would have used M1 EP just yet given it has some PAO at least it used to.

Engine looks healthy though and reports well for a motor with the power equivalent of 2x its displacement

Curious, Does the oil cap say 5W30?
Yes, 5w-30 is specified in this application. Interestingly in the Focus RS and Mustang (when racing) 5w-50 is specified. Supposedly the Ranger engines are more closely related to the Focus RS engines.

The QSUD 5W30 is taking a beating. You may want to consider a 5W30 oil with a KV 100C of around 11.0.

Last edited:
That is a very interesting engine. I like the look and size of the Ranger a lot. Cost is up there with a full size though. I thank you for posting and I hope you continue to keep us updated with any issues and future UOA's.

I did check. Comparing MSRP you can get into a decent Ranger a lot cheaper than an equivalent F150. Mine is an XLT 4x4 with most of the bells and whistles including a tow package and FX4 off road package. MSRP was $38,790 and I got it cheaper. And thanks.

The QSUD 5W30 is taking a beating. You may want to consider a 5W30 oil with a KV 100C of around 11.0.

I've never seen Kendall on the left side of the country. I am considering a 0/5W-40 in the future.

I did check. Comparing MSRP you can get into a decent Ranger a lot cheaper than an equivalent F150. Mine is an XLT 4x4 with most of the bells and whistles including a tow package and FX4 off road package. MSRP was $38,790 and I got it cheaper. And thanks.
prices are starting to come back to earth on Rangers..
about 5 year from now hopefully the bronco will as well.
Interested in a base bronco with 7speed and Sasquatch

of course 36k would have bought a ram 1500 hemi bighorn level 2 w/ rear locker back in october.

I've bought plenty of Ford SUV's and a few F150's to know you did your work. A loaded XLT is really a hair from a Lariat and a reduced price. This covers more than 1 line of vehicles for Ford. Aesthetically I think the design is beautiful.

It’s reassuring to know that both labs match.

Unless there’s coolant or other contamination I wouldn’t draw any conclusions from a 4K UOA on a new car.

My anecdotal experience is that the Ford IOLM has very little or no margin of error built in. So if you are going by the IOLM bring your own MOA.

Nice truck. When I bought my Ford in 2012, they still had a few leftovers, and I wanted a smaller truck. In those days the basic Ranger looked like it was made in Russia.

I've never seen Kendall on the left side of the country. I am considering a 0/5W-40 in the future.
The Phillips 66 Shield Valor is essentially the same as the Kendall GT-1 Max. Motorcraft 5W30 Full Synthetic is also very similar but, you may have to get that at your Ford dealership.

We have the 2.3L in a Mustang … so far have used Mobil 1 EP & AP in 5w30 for 6k runs …
and just put in M1 EP 10w30 … don’t think any of them is over 30% PAO …

I Dont think you will need that, after break in the shearing should calm down.
Odd since current oils should be "stay in grade" and the VM are supposed to be highly shear resistant.
I wonder if there really is not some fuel in there that wasn't detected.
But if a X-40 ACEA is a much better formulated - and high specification oil - Go for it. give it a try :)

If It proves sub-optimal you can always change next time or do a short OCI with its cleansing benefits.

We have the 2.3L in a Mustang … so far have used Mobil 1 EP & AP in 5w30 for 6k runs …
and just put in M1 EP 10w30 … don’t think any of them is over 30% PAO …

4WD. Does she run nice on that M1 EP?
How many smiles do you got on it?
I came this close to pulling the trigger on a base 5.0 with only active exhaust and short rear gears and the dealer was giving 5 grand off. But I thought about it and Bought an Built in India Ford - Mahendra sub compact SUV that was also 5 grand off.
- Ken

Product Name: MOBIL 1 EXTENDED PERFORMANCE 5W-30
Revision Date: 12 Apr 2019
Page 2 of 10
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
NOTE: This material should not be used for any other purpose than the intended use in Section 1 without expert
advice. Health studies have shown that chemical exposure may cause potential human health risks which may vary
from person to person.
SECTION 3 COMPOSITION / INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
This material is defined as a mixture.
Hazardous Substance(s) or Complex Substance(s) required for disclosure
Name CAS#
Concentration*
GHS Hazard Codes
1-DECENE, HOMOPOLYMER HYDROGENATED 68037-01-4 20 - < 30% H304

* All concentrations are percent by weight unless material is a gas. Gas concentrations are in percent by volume.
As per paragraph (i) of 29 CFR 1910.1200, formulation is considered a trade secret and specific chemical identity and
exact percentage (concentration) of composition may have been withheld. Specific chemical identity and exact
percentage composition will be provided to health professionals, employees, or designated representatives in
accordance with applicable provisions of paragraph (i).

4WD. Does she run nice on that M1 EP?
How many smiles do you got on it?
I came this close to pulling the trigger on a base 5.0 with only active exhaust and short rear gears and the dealer was giving 5 grand off. But I thought about it and Bought an Built in India Ford - Mahendra sub compact SUV that was also 5 grand off.
- Ken

Product Name: MOBIL 1 EXTENDED PERFORMANCE 5W-30
Revision Date: 12 Apr 2019
Page 2 of 10
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
NOTE: This material should not be used for any other purpose than the intended use in Section 1 without expert
advice. Health studies have shown that chemical exposure may cause potential human health risks which may vary
from person to person.
SECTION 3 COMPOSITION / INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
This material is defined as a mixture.
Hazardous Substance(s) or Complex Substance(s) required for disclosure
Name CAS#
Concentration*
GHS Hazard Codes
1-DECENE, HOMOPOLYMER HYDROGENATED 68037-01-4 20 - < 30% H304

* All concentrations are percent by weight unless material is a gas. Gas concentrations are in percent by volume.
As per paragraph (i) of 29 CFR 1910.1200, formulation is considered a trade secret and specific chemical identity and
exact percentage (concentration) of composition may have been withheld. Specific chemical identity and exact
percentage composition will be provided to health professionals, employees, or designated representatives in
accordance with applicable provisions of paragraph (i).
My son is the primary driver … but swap out for the Jeep once in a while … The AP was clearance oil and the EP was left over stock since I have not had a 5w30 engine for a while. Lots of 0w20 on my shelves now …
The 2.3L surely has some attitude !
Was reading up on the more recent 5.0 … very sophisticated mill …

My son is the primary driver … but swap out for the Jeep once in a while … The AP was clearance oil and the EP was left over stock since I have not had a 5w30 engine for a while. Lots of 0w20 on my shelves now …
The 2.3L surely has some attitude !
Was reading up on the more recent 5.0 … very sophisticated mill …
I watched this video late night on YT. I was surprised at the result. I think MW tested the GLI and it did 101mph in the 1/4 mile.

Back