2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn Edition: 10,000 mile review

Yesterday, I crossed the 10,000 mile mark on my 2020 Ram 1500 DT. I was originally in the market for a Ridgeline but the price of the Ram was very attractive and the larger rear seat area is more family friendly. My primary use for the truck is moving larger items that do not fit in a sedan. I do not do any towing, off-roading or any "real truck duties." However, I have found the truck to function well as a large sedan due to its enormous cabin and reasonable ride quality.

This truck is lightly equipped compared to most Rams on the road. It has the Big Horn Level 2 package, bucket seats (w/console), and the Anti-Spin Rear Diff. It is a 2WD Crew Cab with the 5.7L eTorque. 3.21 gear ratio. I find the eTorque's 48V start/stop system to be very smooth and and almost as seamless as the one in my Prius. MSRP was about $46K and I paid $33K plus taxes and fees.

Fuel economy has been reasonable for a 1/2 ton but the HEMI is dated compared to its competitors. In-town, I average between 14-16 mpg depending on driving style and the length of the trip. Highway trips generally yield 20-22 mpg if driven conservatively (e.g. light acceleration and maintaining speeds below 70 mph) but 18-19 mpg if driven aggressively. The HEMI does spec 89 octane and I have noticed a small decline in performance when running 87.

From a repair standpoint, it is about what I expected - there have been some strange quality issues. First, I found a very loose nut on the engine cover mounting bracket that was not caught during PDI. Second, I experienced a small leak from the oil cooler/oil filter adapter assembly, a failed dust seal on the r/f wheel bearing assembly (which caused grease to splatter everywhere) and a stretched left-side tailgate cable. I have also experienced mediocre A/C performance during very hot days but FCA recently released a TSB outlining a resolution for this issue. To date, my dealer's service department has been excellent and resolved the oil leak, wheel bearing and tailgate cable issues to my satisfaction.

Overall, I think the Ram can be an excellent value at lower trim levels if the purchase is timed correctly. For most of us who do not need a truck, it is important to choose a truck that is flexible enough to be used for sedan duties as well. And for that reason alone, I think the Ram was a better buy than the Ridgeline. However, one can easily make the argument that a minivan would have been the smarter purchase and I do not disagree. But for now, I will enjoy the Ram until the family grows large enough to warrant a more suitable vehicle.

Attachments

• 1EF12BB0-8657-48ED-9227-CEE8160A1DB7.jpeg
    1EF12BB0-8657-48ED-9227-CEE8160A1DB7.jpeg
    120.1 KB · Views: 219
  • EDF41587-1A80-4532-AF58-4DEC57DECE7E.jpeg
    EDF41587-1A80-4532-AF58-4DEC57DECE7E.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 203
  • 2E482FBE-0E95-4FA2-8913-BFB4CBD5C458.jpeg
    2E482FBE-0E95-4FA2-8913-BFB4CBD5C458.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 204
  • DCA58628-F927-43B5-BBDD-2E5974FDE6CD.jpeg
    DCA58628-F927-43B5-BBDD-2E5974FDE6CD.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 214
  • 67BA88BA-3DC1-497A-8606-FE655195B9B3.jpeg
    67BA88BA-3DC1-497A-8606-FE655195B9B3.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Ain't that funny how everybody bails on the overpriced Honda????
Looks good
I don't think the Ridgeline is overpriced any more than its competitor. I think the entire mid-size truck segment is overpriced.

that looks like a pretty sweet AT4 in the garage there. :cool:
It had the MultiPro Tailgate, 3L Duramax and a few other high-end options. Pretty sweet truck.

Thanks for the review. I guess the e-torque must be nice in terms of acceleration. The mpg figures you posted mirror what my 2018 Silverado LTZ gets in town-and I can actually do better on the highway (again not exceeding 70mph). I have my share of drive train clunks I'm not happy with. Also crappy paint and lousy leather seating services-And my truck was $10,000.00 more than yours. I'm waiting for the new redesigned Tundra......

I sure wish my 16 had that much storage under the rear seat.. Granted the factory sub takes up 1/2 of mine, but it still is a much smaller space than in yours.

Your MPG's are very similar to mine without e-torque and I have 3.92 gears and 4wd. I can get 20mpg on the highway if I can maintain a steady speed. If there is a lot of traffic its back down to 18-19.

Glad your enjoying your truck. That is a fair number of warranty type issues to have had in 10k miles.

I don't think the Ridgeline is overpriced any more than its competitor. I think the entire mid-size truck segment is overpriced.

It had the MultiPro Tailgate, 3L Duramax and a few other high-end options. Pretty sweet truck.
Oh, ick 3l diesel. Ick.

Beautiful RAM Michael. That back seat is cavernous.
That truck will serve you well for many years. I would never sell it.
Remember, my cowboy friends tell me, "Ya ain't sh!t if ya ain't got a truck."

I looked really hard for a 2020 Big Horn Quad Cab with the 3.6 Pentastar. I couldn’t find one anywhere. So, I settled on my other choice. They are really nice trucks.

Thank you for the review. I have a 2016 Ram Limited that I am 100% satisfied with and I will by a new Ram Limited in a few years....I only have 90k on it now.

JD Power would indicate otherwise.
Ehh.

What are owners saying about these problems?​

But the problems aren’t just restricted to certain model years. According to CarComplaints.com, the most complaints found regarding the Ram 1500 fall into the accessories/interior problems category.
The most common problems with interior accessories tend to happen at an average of 9,000 miles and the most complaints in this category come for 2012, 2013, and 2014 model years. The worst-rated interior problems are GPS/UConnect malfunction, radio not working properly, and a blank info display screen.
In fact, the most-reported problem of all model years is GPS/UConnect malfunction in the 2013 model year. A total of 26 owners have issued complaints about the 2013’s UConnect system, while 20 complain that the radio has not worked properly. And on the 2016 Ram 1500, many owners report a blank info display screen or an improperly-working navigation system.
With so many random problems plaguing the Ram 1500 and its owners, Consumer Reports gives the newest 2020 Ram 1500 an astoundingly-low predicted reliability rating of one out of five.

Current CR rating shows 2/5. I'm sure a lot of it is related to the rear window frame cracks, mediocre A/C and the 12" screen issues.
I’ve had the driveshaft replaced twice...the same week! My VIN was not in the recall but that was a common failure for the 2018 model. Other than that, it’s been flawless in 47k mikes. Mine is the Express trim though. Very basic and with less things to break.

I’ve had the driveshaft replaced twice...the same week! My VIN was not in the recall but that was a common failure for the 2018 model. Other than that, it’s been flawless in 47k mikes. Mine is the Express trim though. Very basic and with less things to break.
With the exception of the 12" screen, it seems like most of the issues affect all trim levels equally.

Back