2020 Ram 1500 5.7 eTorque, Mobil 1 5W-20, 3200 miles

What the heck only 3 , lol .Chrysler sure has it going on
FCA quality continues to be a pain point.

Original cooler = leaked
Dealer installed one = leaked after a few weeks?
Went and bought my own = damaged out of the box
Returned/Bought a second one = been fine for 5k+

Original cooler = leaked

True, although I've been following Ram 1500's pretty closely since 2018 and I think you're the only one I've seen that had OEM oil cooler issues with a 5.7 hemi. Not a common occurrence.

Original cooler = leaked
Parts can be bad right out of the box. Can happen to any parts manufacturer.

I dunno, I’ve heard of this being a contributor in a lot of police vehicles that idle a lot and supposedly the idle rpm was raised a little bit just to increase oil pressure to the back of the engine but I have nothing to prove that other than here-say.
@dnewton3 gave you a pretty good account of LEO duty in your thread, they had one fail (his), but that was the only one, and those would be cars that idle a LOT. Another possibility is that they raised the idle a touch to increase alternator output because those cars run a LOT of electronics (if it was in fact raised).
The highest mine had ever gotten was around 7600 miles and that was on the second-to-last time I ran the PUP 5w20.
Yeah, that's more like mine.
- Factory filled dumped at 1,150km (715 miles), OLM reset.
- First OCI, OLM at 0%, 15,181km (9,433 miles), so the OCI was 14,031km (8,718 miles)
- Second OCI, OLM at 0%, 25,655km (15,941 miles), so the OCI was 10,474km (6,508 miles)
- Third OCI, OLM at 0%, 37,328km (23,194 miles), so the OCI was 11,673km (7,253 miles)
- Fourth OCI, OLM at 0%, 49,044km (30,474 miles), so the OCI was 11,716km (7,280 miles)

Will be interesting to see how far this current fill goes, as the oil was changed in November, so it has been run all winter, tons of idling, but no towing.

@dnewton3 gave you a pretty good account of LEO duty in your thread, they had one fail (his), but that was the only one, and those would be cars that idle a LOT. Another possibility is that they raised the idle a touch to increase alternator output because those cars run a LOT of electronics (if it was in fact raised).
I had no idea unless I missed something that the fleet vehicles he was talking about was police cruisers but either way, Ive read quite a bit where a lot police vehicles due to their increased idling had a bunch of cam and lifter problems. Just because his was the only one out of his fleet doesn’t prove anything because supposedly a lot of other departments haven’t been so lucky.
Yeah, that's more like mine.
- Factory filled dumped at 1,150km (715 miles), OLM reset.
- First OCI, OLM at 0%, 15,181km (9,433 miles), so the OCI was 14,031km (8,718 miles)
- Second OCI, OLM at 0%, 25,655km (15,941 miles), so the OCI was 10,474km (6,508 miles)
- Third OCI, OLM at 0%, 37,328km (23,194 miles), so the OCI was 11,673km (7,253 miles)
- Fourth OCI, OLM at 0%, 49,044km (30,474 miles), so the OCI was 11,716km (7,280 miles)

Will be interesting to see how far this current fill goes, as the oil was changed in November, so it has been run all winter, tons of idling, but no towing.
Wow. These last few years I haven’t driven much, just to and from work with on average a two-hour round trip on the weekends to a town in Texas we like to shop at and I’ve never seen my OLM go below 20% and that was on roughly the same amount of miles on your second OCI.

You might of said before but what oil is this on? What filter? What’s the average time span between your OCI’s? Have you had any UOA’s?

I had no idea unless I missed something that the fleet vehicles he was talking about was police cruisers but either way, Ive read quite a bit where a lot police vehicles due to their increased idling had a bunch of cam and lifter problems. Just because his was the only one out of his fleet doesn’t prove anything because supposedly a lot of other departments haven’t been so lucky.
I think it's a good indication of how uncommon it really is on LEO vehicles. Not sure as to the size of the fleet, perhaps he'll chime-in. Remember, they've updated the lifters 3x, and apparently the failures were more frequent before the revisions, so, depending on the age, and size, of the fleet, one might see more or fewer failures.
Wow. These last few years I haven’t driven much, just to and from work with on average a two-hour round trip on the weekends to a town in Texas we like to shop at and I’ve never seen my OLM go below 20% and that was on roughly the same amount of miles on your second OCI.

You might of said before but what oil is this on? What filter? What’s the average time span between your OCI’s? Have you had any UOA’s?
No UOA's yet, may get one done on this fill. Oil is M1 EP 0w-20, has been since I dumped the factory fill. Filters for the last three OCI's have been FRAM Ultra XG2's, which are the larger SRT filters. First two filters were the smaller XG10060 until I discovered the larger filter fit.

This truck does double duty. It's my wife's daily driver, so it sees a lot of short trips, but we also take it to the cottage (about an hour and a half drive), it has driven to the east coast (18 hours) and it tows the family boats and our ATV's.

I think it's a good indication of how uncommon it really is on LEO vehicles. Not sure as to the size of the fleet, perhaps he'll chime-in. Remember, they've updated the lifters 3x, and apparently the failures were more frequent before the revisions, so, depending on the age, and size, of the fleet, one might see more or fewer failures.
When in the timeline was the lifters updated?
No UOA's yet, may get one done on this fill. Oil is M1 EP 0w-20, has been since I dumped the factory fill. Filters for the last three OCI's have been FRAM Ultra XG2's, which are the larger SRT filters. First two filters were the smaller XG10060 until I discovered the larger filter fit.
Then why not just use the white SRT filter? I thought about using one of those but as soon as I found out the bypass pressures weren’t the same, I scrapped that thought.
This truck does double duty. It's my wife's daily driver, so it sees a lot of short trips, but we also take it to the cottage (about an hour and a half drive), it has driven to the east coast (18 hours) and it tows the family boats and our ATV's.
So what oil do you use?

Then why not just use the white SRT filter? I thought about using one of those but as soon as I found out the bypass pressures weren’t the same, I scrapped that thought.

So what oil do you use?
Mid 2010-era there was a part number change. No idea if they were actually updated; I think that is merely speculation.

Fram XG has significantly better efficiency than any other <$10 filter on the market.

IIRC, it was like 2010, 2013, then 2016.
Just since 2015:
Original part number was 5038785AA (2015/2016)
This was superseded by 5038785AB (2016/2017)
This was superseded by 5038785AC (2016-2019)
This has since been superseded by 5038785AD (2006-2021)

Note that 5038785AD replaces:
5038684AA (2011-2015)
5038785AA (already covered above)
5038785AB (already covered above)
5038785AC (already covered above)
53021726AD ????
53021726AE (2006-2008)
53021726AF ????
53021726BB (2009-2011)
53021726BC (2010-2015)
68060714AA (2009)

So yeah, there have been MANY revisions.
Because the FRAM Ultra is massively more efficient and the OG Ultra had multi-layer synthetic media which also flows better.
So what oil do you use?
It was answered in the chunk of my post you quoted with the oil filter, Mobil 1 EP 0w-20.

And here I thought Ford had revised their 5.4 3V phasers a lot, they have about 6 revisions of those.

They don't have anything on Chrysler's lifter revisions! I count 10 versions that Chrysler is replacing with 5038785AD.

And here I thought Ford had revised their 5.4 3V phasers a lot, they have about 6 revisions of those.

They don't have anything on Chrysler's lifter revisions! I count 10 versions that Chrysler is replacing with 5038785AD.
Saying their six to Chrysler‘s 10 is not proving anything. Neither should have any as far as I’m concerned.

Reactions: a5m
Saying their six to Chrysler‘s 10 is not proving anything. Neither should have any as far as I’m concerned.
In a perfect world, but the reality is that a lot of parts get seriously revised multiple times when they are found to not have the durability that was expected based on internal testing. The HVAC resister module was several revisions deep when I replaced it on my M5, and the replacement looked significantly different from the OE part. Camshaft position sensors were another thing on that car that had multiple revisions due to premature failure.

Some funny stuff was on the 6.0L PSD where they did like MAJOR changes (branch tube adapter for example).

Back