2020 Pentastar forward plans

@4WD - I have a 2019 JLUR and have tried Castrol Edge and Kendall GT-1 Max in 0W-20 and no issues thus far, UOAs have been good. I have a friend down the street with a 2018 JLUR and runs Castrol Edge 0W-40 in it. Our oil pressures and oil temperatures are the same.

I had planned to stick with Kendall, but the clearance of RGT 0W-20 at AAP has changed that plan. After tomorrow, I will likely have enough oil for 100K at 5K changes. I use a FRAM Ultra for an oil filter after trying Mopar, Hastings, Mahle, and WIX.

I've run some Mobil 1 EP, AP, PUP and RGT in mine. Probably more AP than any other. All UOA's have come back good. The longest run I've done is 7400 miles on AP. I've got a stash of clearance RGT, so it'll be in there for the next few OCI's. I'll probably go 5k with those. I will probably change the current run of AP at 5k because I took a VERY dusty trip up part of the Appalachian Byway.

The engine has about 40k on it now and has been perfect. It is just a blast to drive with the Aisin 6 speed manual in the JL Wrangler. I have as much fun on twisty roads winding it out as I do off-road. It pulls strong from just off idle all the way to redline. In fact, it gets a bit of a kick in the pants from 4500 rpm and up. I think that's the 2nd stage of the VVT kicking in. Mine is the Pentastar Upgrade version that has 2 stage VVT that adds 14% more torque through much of the powerband. Peak numbers are the same, but you can feel that torque compared to the previous gen.

I put a Magnaflow axle-back exhaust on it and it makes it sound just great! Not too obnoxious, though, and still quiet when cruising. But when on the pipe, it sounds wonderful.

2020 Jeep GC 3.6 7k miles ......first Oil change was 5w 20 Valvoline syn...I live in a hot climate plus had 2 x 5 gallon jugs in my garage already

Actually we seen tons of them leaking from the spot where they mold them at the factory below where the filter goes in. It’s two circle shaped spots that they will leak from
Will keep an eye on that … I watch it anyway since I have never gone so light on a filter cap …
I‘m also going to do 2x OCI’s on Fram XG and cut down on removing the cap …

Will keep an eye on that … I watch it anyway since I have never gone so light on a filter cap …
Good idea. After seeing the condition of the Fram Ultras I've taken out of mine @ 5K intervals I might just do the same thing.

I generally use 5k mile OCIs. My UOA should be found in that section of the forum.
Me too. When I bought my 2019 RAM, the dealer was pushing their maintenance package. It called for 7,500 mile OCI, but after negoaiting the price down, I also negoaited the interval down to 5000 mile OCI's. So far everything seems great.

Me too. When I bought my 2019 RAM, the dealer was pushing their maintenance package. It called for 7,500 mile OCI, but after negoaiting the price down, I also negoaited the interval down to 5000 mile OCI's. So far everything seems great.
Be careful with stealerships for oil changes....I know of one Toyota dealer that was charging huge prices for syn oil changes and were using the cheapest dinolube they could buy....I think it was "gulf" 5w 30 in 55 gallon drums.

Reactions: JC1
They told me it was bulk PYB. I guess they could be lieing, but they would be assuming a lot of risk if they were not using at least a certified, in spec oil.

4 x 5K = 20K which is what it is rated for. I am thinking it will be fine for that FCI and will limit the removals as you have said. FCA should have followed MB's design when Daimler owned Chrysler and made the whole oil cooler and filter housing from aluminum instead of crimping aluminum around plastic.

4 x 5K = 20K which is what it is rated for. I am thinking it will be fine for that FCI and will limit the removals as you have said. FCA should have followed MB's design when Daimler owned Chrysler and made the whole oil cooler and filter housing from aluminum instead of crimping aluminum around plastic.
I also think that it’s such a large socket that some folks are using too much of a wrench and don’t realize how much biased stress is being applied … I use a stubby ratchet … O ring will self energize …

I also think that it’s such a large socket that some folks are using too much of a wrench and don’t realize how much biased stress is being applied … I use a stubby ratchet … O ring will self energize …
Agreed; I use an inch pound torque wrench to be sure that I am slightly below the torque spec.

Its not over tightening that makes them leak, ....well maybe if you got REAL stupid it would. .....anyway, they leak at the melted/molded in plugs at the front/bottom of it. I dont think I have ever changed an early style one for leaking.....nor any on a PUG. And I havent seen any we have replaced leak either, so they may have tightened up the quality.

They told me it was bulk PYB. I guess they could be lieing, but they would be assuming a lot of risk if they were not using at least a certified, in spec oil.
If they are using 0w20 there is no PYB in that weight. The worst it would be is Pennzoil Gold, which is advertised as a syn blend, but is more likely a full syn. It has very good specs. I actually like the specs slightly more than Platinum, honestly.

Reactions: 4WD
Yes; this is the part to replace. I seem to recall it is cheaper for the later model Pentastar engines versus the early ones.
Man … looks like a fair amount of work … all the more reason to be careful and at least delay/minimize the issue.

Man … looks like a fair amount of work … all the more reason to be careful and at least delay/minimize the issue.
Yes, it's a time consuming job for sure. This whole thread has me thinking to run my Fram Ultra or Mobil 1 filters for two OCIs. After seeing the condition they come out in, it is pointless for me to change them every OCI. So as you can see even an old dog can learn a new trick!

Back