2020 Nissan Frontier

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sebast...gine-as-we-wait-for-the-next-generation/

This is an interesting move by Nissan. I like their new engine choice. Sounds pretty stout and I like that it's still naturally aspirated. More power, supposedly improved fuel economy, but I find it unusual to release the new engine in the old truck for a year with only very minimal interior changes then release the new generation for 2021. What do you guys think?

This is standard operation at Toyota, you introduce a new engine & transmission in an existing chassis, a new chassis for existing power-train, but don't do all new at once ! this avoids major problems that might affect production line speed, or cause unhappy customers.

Apparently the brand new Frontiers on the lots today are 2019's?

Nissan started the DI thing in 2017 with the VQ35DD.

If Nissan wasn't in the position they were in I wonder how much longer they would have rode out this same platform for. Like it's ridiculous that when I was looking at vehicles in 2018/19 when I went to look at the frontier it was like stepping back into a time machine when I bought my new pro4x in 2011.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
One last chance for old men and turbo/DI haters to get their anachronistic way: a more powerful new, old car that is cheaper than a Tacoma.

LOL right.

Good point KGMtech.

I'm one of the oddballs that went for a 2019 Frontier. I have no complaints other than the poor fuel economy (which doesn't surprise me as most trucks don't do all that great). I just don't see what is so great about the Tacoma.

The 4.0L is a solid, reliable motor. I'll be curious how the new 3.8L performs.

*Also, it now has a 9 speed transmission.

It will definitely be interesting to see what effect the new power train has on sales numbers. I would think most would just wait for the whole new truck to come out next year.

Originally Posted by buster
LOL right.

Good point KGMtech.

I'm one of the oddballs that went for a 2019 Frontier. I have no complaints other than the poor fuel economy (which doesn't surprise me as most trucks don't do all that great). I just don't see what is so great about the Tacoma.

I'm sure it's the best truck ever made, and that you're not biased or defending your purchase/ego. What's so great about the Tacoma? It's more advanced than the Frontier.

I also like the quirks that my old car has. But I just enjoy it and avoid pretending that it is something it is not.

9-10% better fuel economy with DI and almost double the amount of gears? WOW!!

Takes it from maybe ~16 to 17mpg average.

Last edited:
One last chance for old men and turbo/DI haters to get their anachronistic way: a more powerful new, old car that is cheaper than a Tacoma.

Says the technology hater driving a 99 Tercel. Get real.

On Fuelly the average fuel economy for the last 10 years of 4.0 Frontiers is solidly mid 17s. For the Tacoma it might be 1 more MPG all engines. Yawn.

No dog in this fight but I get to ride in them both because my employees have both.

The taco is slower, worse riding, less payload, and has worse brakes (drum rears) especially when towing, and an inch less legroom in the back

It's got a newer dash, a half-inch more legroom in front, and get 1-2 MPG better theoretically but here in the mountains they are both terrible.

The toyota holds value better, but the nissan is less up front.

UD

IMG_0155 (1).jpg

Nissan should NOT touch this make for another FIVE YEARS.

The Nissan Frontier is the best bang-for-the-buck in the truck world.... at least those of us that thinks it's stupid to pay 50k for a truck.

33k and you get a Frontier with pro4x off road package, rear limited slip differential. NO led headlamps that cost a fortune to replace while you are off roading..

Just don't get the pro4x "decal" option, you'll save 500 bucks, and the turning radius is very wide. This platform is old, but that is exactly why we like it!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by buster
LOL right.

Good point KGMtech.

I'm sure it's the best truck ever made, and that you're not biased or defending your purchase/ego. What's so great about the Tacoma? It's more advanced than the Frontier.

I also like the quirks that my old car has. But I just enjoy it and avoid pretending that it is something it is not.

LMAO who said I thought it was the best truck ever and anything about defending my ego? Unreal.

I like that the Frontier has remained unchanged. It's one of the reason it continues to sell. I'm not brand loyal when it comes to trucks, it just so happens the Frontier is a great value. The Tacoma is an awful vehicle to drive.

Who knows, the new Frontier may be worse than the current model in terms of reliability. Time will tell.

Vern, I agree.

They could have done MUCH worst, I'm actually happy with the 2020 "refinements"
If they ever did a complete redesign, which seems like EVERY VEHICLE goes though every 4 years....

Expensive LED headlamps, that look like Christmas lights because Nissan does not want to pay for a few more LED's

CVT transmission(in a truck)

Brings back the stupid large bars on the roof, and a wind flap that says boldy, "Nissan"

Move production to Mexico from Canton, Mississippi, pays the "Trump Tax" and moves production back.

Leadership will screw something up!

Have one extremely cheap base model that nobody has on their lots, and a 55k loaded model with sunroof.

Nissan has a 90% chance of screwing up this redesign. I agree with the 2020 upgrades, small little changes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
Nissan should NOT touch this make for another FIVE YEARS.

The Nissan Frontier is the best bang-for-the-buck in the truck world.... at least those of us that thinks it's stupid to pay 50k for a truck.

33k and you get a Frontier with pro4x off road package, rear limited slip differential. NO led headlamps that cost a fortune to replace while you are off roading..

Just don't get the pro4x "decal" option, you'll save 500 bucks, and the turning radius is very wide. This platform is old, but that is exactly why we like it!

Well said, my younger brother (born in the latter boomer years) purchased a brand new Frontier 2 years ago for under 30K, it might have been a year old model at the time, but pretty much the same as the latter model years. He loves it for its bang for the buck. Not all of us have the coin to drive the latest, greatest and most expensive vehicle on the road and are happy to tool around in something that we can easily afford.

I myself could afford to have spent more, but didn't think its worth it so the 6 year old car I drive was a 4 banger, base model for under $30K new. The other $20K (or more) I could have spent to keep up with all of the enthusiasts on this board on what is needed to have a good driving experience has worked wonders for me in this thriving stock market. Also, its a reliable vehicle without all of the $1,000 plus maintenance work for the cars endorsed by our enthusiasts. My maintenance is performed at my local Valvoline and by my trusted indy who has worked on my cars for the past three decades.

Back