2020 Nissan Frontier

Originally Posted by SeaJay
Well said, my younger brother (born in the latter boomer years) purchased a brand new Frontier 2 years ago for under 30K, it might have been a year old model at the time, but pretty much the same as the latter model years. He loves it for its bang for the buck. Not all of us have the coin to drive the latest, greatest and most expensive vehicle on the road and are happy to tool around in something that we can easily afford.

I myself could afford to have spent more, but didn't think its worth it so the 6 year old car I drive was a 4 banger, base model for under $30K new. The other $20K (or more) I could have spent to keep up with all of the enthusiasts on this board on what is needed to have a good driving experience has worked wonders for me in this thriving stock market. Also, its a reliable vehicle without all of the $1,000 plus maintenance work for the cars endorsed by our enthusiasts. My maintenance is performed at my local Valvoline and by my trusted indy who has worked on my cars for the past three decades.
OK, boomer.

If we can get back to the truck, I'm wondering if this 9spd AT is the same as in the Armada and Titan? I'm assuming it is given it's 5spd were used in those applications as far as I know.

Originally Posted by JTK
If we can get back to the truck, I'm wondering if this 9spd AT is the same as in the Armada and Titan? I'm assuming it is given it's 5spd were used in those applications as far as I know.

Apparently it's similar: Link

Originally Posted by Delta
Originally Posted by JTK

Apparently it's similar: Link

Oh nice. Thanks.

I'll be curious to see if this new DI 3.8L turns the engine oil dirty diesel black in a few thousand miles like the VQ35DD does in my 2019 Pathfinder..

Originally Posted by maxdustington
OK, boomer.

Got nothing but snark, sarcasm and ageism.

I'll be curious to see if this new DI 3.8L turns the engine oil dirty diesel black in a few thousand miles like the VQ35DD does in my 2019 Pathfinder..

Funny I didn't notice black oil in the first 2 OCs on the 5.6 DI in the Titan.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
Nissan should NOT touch this make for another FIVE YEARS.

The Nissan Frontier is the best bang-for-the-buck in the truck world.... at least those of us that thinks it's stupid to pay 50k for a truck.

33k and you get a Frontier with pro4x off road package, rear limited slip differential. NO led headlamps that cost a fortune to replace while you are off roading..

Just don't get the pro4x "decal" option, you'll save 500 bucks, and the turning radius is very wide. This platform is old, but that is exactly why we like it!

Well said, my younger brother (born in the latter boomer years) purchased a brand new Frontier 2 years ago for under 30K, it might have been a year old model at the time, but pretty much the same as the latter model years. He loves it for its bang for the buck. Not all of us have the coin to drive the latest, greatest and most expensive vehicle on the road and are happy to tool around in something that we can easily afford.

I myself could afford to have spent more, but didn't think its worth it so the 6 year old car I drive was a 4 banger, base model for under $30K new. The other $20K (or more) I could have spent to keep up with all of the enthusiasts on this board on what is needed to have a good driving experience has worked wonders for me in this thriving stock market. Also, its a reliable vehicle without all of the $1,000 plus maintenance work for the cars endorsed by our enthusiasts. My maintenance is performed at my local Valvoline and by my trusted indy who has worked on my cars for the past three decades.

Who cares what other people think, drive what makes you smile! I think the Frontier is a nice little truck for the price, and some people prefer the styling. Having the latest and greatest doesn't mean much. Both of my cars are probably considered "old" by most, but they have always been paid for and that alone makes me happy.

The engine does need to be updated because averaging 17 mpg in a small truck is generally worse than a fullsize. At that point there isn't much purpose in a small truck w/less capability.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
The engine does need to be updated because averaging 17 mpg in a small truck is generally worse than a fullsize. At that point there isn't much purpose in a small truck w/less capability.

I agree about the mpg, but I know for myself I've eyed this truck (and others) just because it'd fit in my garage. My Tundra won't. When I look at what I "need" in a truck, full size is nice but not absolutely needed.

When I take my garage out of the equation, then I tend to agree, might as well go big. Well at least until I have to park it anyhow, those parking spaces seem to keep shrinking.

Reliability? That is very important.
The Frontier in my sig has been nothing but reliable since we bought it new. 6 1/2 years old and it's been back to the dealer one time for a recall that took all of ten minutes to perform (can't remember exactly what was done). Nothing but preventative maintenance. I agree the turning radius is a bit wide but you adapt to it. Fuel mileage could be better but with only 54k on the truck we don't drive that much. When we made the decision to become a one car family several months back, it was the full size GMC Sierra that got sold. I'd be divorced by now had I sold the Frontier. The Frontier was my wife's choice when we bought it. With the added tonneau cover she wanted on it, it made the perfect vehicle for her. The truck still looks practically brand new with periodic washes and waxes. I agree that it's the best truck value around for those not needing a full size pick up.

No dog in this fight but I get to ride in them both because my employees have both.

The taco is slower, worse riding, less payload, and has worse brakes (drum rears) especially when towing, and an inch less legroom in the back

It's got a newer dash, a half-inch more legroom in front, and get 1-2 MPG better theoretically but here in the mountains they are both terrible.

The toyota holds value better, but the nissan is less up front.

UD

View attachment 20599
BIL went from the V6 Frontier to the V6 Taco TRD Off Road...likes the toys on the Taco but misses the Frontier for exactly those reasons you stated Uncle Dave...and that would be my conclusion as well...

If Nissan wasn't in the position they were in I wonder how much longer they would have rode out this same platform for. Like it's ridiculous that when I was looking at vehicles in 2018/19 when I went to look at the frontier it was like stepping back into a time machine when I bought my new pro4x in 2011.
That isn’t just a Nissan issue.

Toyota is doing fine and is selling 2021 Tundras that haven’t received anything but a minor facelift since 2007.

Back