2020 kia w/ 19k miles; new tires from dealer.

A family member just purchased a used 2020 Kia SUV with just under 19K miles at a Toyota dealer.
While looking at it I noticed it had new tires which were made in the 26th week of 2022.
I'm a bit curious (actually suspicious) that a vehicle would need new tires in under 19K miles.
My head is thinking odometer rollback but who knows. I haven't mentioned my suspicions to my relative because I don't want to cause needless worry. What are your thoughts on this?
My wife's RX 350 needed new tires by 20k miles (alignment was not off either) and my Tundra by 30k miles (I replaced them with more aggressive tires at 25k but the outside edges were already worn bare) and that alignment wasn't off either. These vehicles get tire rotations every 5k miles and see mostly "country" driving. Some OEM tires are really terrible.

Likely just not great tires and semi aggressive city miles with no rotations?
Are they decent tires? Used car sales 101 is putting on cheap new tires, that you'll want to replace soon anyways...

I have seen OE tires go out at that mileage, eg some years ago a new Honda with Michelin PAX tires that were bald at 19K. That PAX fiasco and the way Michelin handled it along with the outright fraud both Honda and Michelin engaged in is the reason I have no love for either.
Tell me about it
Michelin and Honda have some of the most rabid fanbases
Or maybe I'm just bitter 👀
They wouldn't honor the treadwear warranty on that stupid set of Premier A/S I had 😤

Sometimes, dealers do things that defy logic (surely not, LOL...)

My 2018 Sierra with 42,000 miles had a new set of tires, as well as all new brake rotors and pads when I bought it. It somewhat concerned me when I bought it, expect that the truck had zero evidence of *any* hard use at all from its previous 70+ year old owner. But I'll admit that it rode and drove really nice with those new tires and brakes.

I guess it is possible that my truck came in on the spare tire (with a flat in the bed) and a slight brake shudder when it was traded in.... and someone simply loaded the parts cannon, instead of actually taking the time to figure it out.

I viewed the new tires and new brakes as $2000 in extras that I wouldn't have to worry about again for a good long time. Sometimes, a gift is a gift.

We only got 28K out of the OEM Michelin tires that came on the Wife's 2014 Armada and that is with rotate and balance every 8k. Got 80K out of the ones I replaced them with (Nexxen Rodian RA8 AT). Thought something was wrong with the vehicle for Michelin tires to wear that fast but turns out that it was just the tires.

You always stick up for dealers.....were you one? Maybe the dealer did replace the tires but car dealers in general have earned the lack of trust they receive .
Nope never a dealer. This is a nonsensical thread-accusing the dealer of a rollback-on a 2022 vehicle with 19,000 miles on it. Paranoia runs rampant.... Yes-I guess a 2022 model could have excessive miles-but there would be other signs. The OP didn't say if he checked for hood (paint) chipping-and the such that would indicate a high miles vehicle. He's just fixated because the tires are new-and new tires on a low miles vehicle always indicate a "cover up"!

Last edited:
If the car was built in 2019 for 2020, the tires could be from 2018, and would therefore be coming up on 5 years old. If the vehicle sat in the sun, 4-5 year old tires could easily start to age and crack and fail inspection from that. I’ve seen 2 year old tires so weather cracked they needed replacing.

My friends 2015 Subaru STI needed new tires at 10,000. Subaru and Mazda put some of the lowest UTQG tires on their cars from the factory.

I put new Michelin Defenders on our CR-V at like 26k cuz the OE Bridgestone tires were absolutely god awful and I couldn't take anymore.

Nope never a dealer. This is a nonsensical thread-accusing the dealer of a rollback-on a 2022 vehicle with 19,000 miles on it. Paranoia runs rampant.... Yes-I guess a 2022 model could have excessive miles-but there would be other signs. The OP didn't say if he checked for hood (paint) chipping-and the such that would indicate a high miles vehicle. He's just fixated because the tires are new-and new tires on a low miles vehicle always indicate a "cover up"!
Look on the bright side. We didn't even go NEAR the usual Hyundai-Kia punching bag points - the engines that blow up and that they're entirely too easy to steal. Kumbaya!

I never got satisfactory mileage out of any tire that came on a new car that I bought.

My VW Passat came new with Giti tires. They might make some good tires but the ones on the Passat were very loud and the ride was not what i expected. Replaced them with less than 5K on the odo for some Continentals and it made a world of difference. People change for all sorts of reasons.

It could have simply been worn tires from a bad alignment where the dealer did a wheel alignment and replaced all 4 tires. Having 4 good tires on a car does wonders for selling a car too. Case in point - I was selling a little Mitsubishi Mirage, was a clean car, but for $260 I put all 4 new tires on it and the 1st person bought it and commented that they are so glad it has new tires so they don't have the expense to worry about. When tires are worn it is usual to bargain the price down to cover tires - I didn't have that issue.

I asked an opinion....I didn't 'accuse' anybody. My experience with dealers is that most are scum.....

Look on the bright side. We didn't even go NEAR the usual Hyundai-Kia punching bag points - the engines that blow up and that they're entirely too easy to steal. Kumbaya!
Go at it. My Hyundai was traded in. The resale value was so poor it retained 52% after 7 years. Yeah...poor resale....sure!

My ram’s factory tires made it 20k. Oddly only the rears though, the fronts still looked brand new 😉

But yeah, they could have gotten damaged, been vandalized, or the previous owner thought they were just horrible like my factory tires were and replaced them.

Back