2020 kia w/ 19k miles; new tires from dealer.

pbm

A family member just purchased a used 2020 Kia SUV with just under 19K miles at a Toyota dealer.
While looking at it I noticed it had new tires which were made in the 26th week of 2022.
I'm a bit curious (actually suspicious) that a vehicle would need new tires in under 19K miles.
My head is thinking odometer rollback but who knows. I haven't mentioned my suspicions to my relative because I don't want to cause needless worry. What are your thoughts on this?

A family member just purchased a used 2020 Kia SUV with just under 19K miles at a Toyota dealer.
While looking at it I noticed it had new tires which were made in the 26th week of 2022.
I'm a bit curious (actually suspicious) that a vehicle would need new tires in under 19K miles.
My head is thinking odometer rollback but who knows. I haven't mentioned my suspicions to my relative because I don't want to cause needless worry. What are your thoughts on this?

Perhaps the previous owner made some enemies that slashed the tires.

or maybe they wanted to get rid of mediocre stock tires like i always do. every time i get a new vehicle, stock tires are replaced. some of the stock tires i had were so mediocre, they were slippery on dry asphalt in curves in summer temperatures. the bridgestone turanza EL 440 that came stock on my mazda 3 turbo were a disgrace.

It might be that that was just enough mileage on OEM tires that weren't rotated, to wear them down, so it might only have been two that needed replacing. Don't ask me how I know this is a possibility.

It's good to hear other opinions on this. I guess because I got nearly 60K on the OE tires on both my Ford's..I'm thinking the worst.
I'm glad I kept my mouth shut until I heard from you guys. Thanks

PS: The new tires are GeoDrive's made by Sumitomo....they are called a 'value tire' but get generally good reviews.

Last edited:
Rental car with 18k … and these are Michelin

1BEB0BC4-C0FD-4F60-B5BE-976615CB0328.jpg

or maybe they wanted to get rid of mediocre stock tires like i always do. every time i get a new vehicle, stock tires are replaced. some of the stock tires i had were so mediocre, they were slippery on dry asphalt in curves in summer temperatures. the bridgestone turanza EL 440 that came stock on my mazda 3 turbo were a disgrace.
Those are the factory tires on my mazda cx-30, I only have 20k on them and the car will lose traction taking a slight curve at 30 mph on a sunny day. Even worse in the rain. Never had tires lose traction so easily. Maybe I should go ahead and replace lol.

A friend of a friend bought a brand new car and had to put new tires in it in a abnormal low amount of miles.
Don't know the exact mileage of his vehicle when it needed four new tires but it was nowhere near what it should have been!

The dealer does the right thing and replaces marginal tires and ethics are still questioned. The dealers just can't get a break when they do something right. Just another day ...........
In paradise!

Oem tires can wear out with city driving in 20,000 miles. May be OK.

The dealer does the right thing and replaces marginal tires and ethics are still questioned. The dealers just can't get a break when they do something right. Just another day ...........
You always stick up for dealers.....were you one? Maybe the dealer did replace the tires but car dealers in general have earned the lack of trust they receive .

Last edited:
You always stick up for dealers.....were you one? Maybe the dealer did replace the tires but car dealers in general have earned the lack of trust they receive .
Well that is the most logical solution. It's nigh impossible to rollback an electronic odometer. It's just not worth the time and expertise needed.

Back