2020 Hyundai Tucson 2nd Oil Change - should I change now or wait?

Hello all, my 1st post here @ 66 YO.

Wife's 2020 Tucson was purchased on Aug 12, 2020 took advantage of huge discount ($8,700 off MSRP).The first OC was done on Sept 21, 40 days after purchase @ 3,015 miles with WIX 51334XP for full synthetic, Kirkland 5W-30 Dexos1 Gen2, I know I should have done earlier. Prior to the first OC, it was driven mostly(95%) on highway, also seen excessive idling due to heavy smoke from wildfire in PNW region and summer heat which resulted really dark oil drained.

We're a
retired couple with 2 vehicles, not driving much, 3,000 miles for first 40 days, under 3,200 miles for the next 6 months. Now at 6,195 miles after 6 months, oil on dipstick looks too good for over 3,000 miles use. I just did OC yesterday on the other car, a 2015 MDX @ 104,590 miles with same Kirkland 0W-20. Only 3,355 miles on that oil but changed after 6 months, drained oil was as expected, pretty dark. It's heading to BL for UOA.

Please take a look at the photo below and advise if I should change the oil now anyway or wait for a while later. I was planning to change oil for every 3,500 - 4,000 miles or 6 months, but . . .

Diptsick @6195 miles.jpg

Living in the PNW myself I'll say that just what my oil looks like at 5 or 7K miles. The UOA have all came back looking pretty good. Me I worry more about sunny weather here in Washington. I change it out in April and October. Not to hot not to cold and not rainy.

Change it, then every 5k miles. I'd recommend using OEM filter. The vehicle is still under warranty and Hyundai and KIA have less than stellar warranty work. I have a 19' Sorento and use OEM oil filters and I can give you about 800 million reasons why.

Point well taken. I usually keep my cars very long time, up to 20 years, doing all of maintenance plus some repairs. I used WIX filter because I had a couple left over. Hyundai is doing free maintenance but I wouldn't trust them.

I'll buy bunch of OEM filters . . . from Amazon? How do you rate the Hyundai OEM filters from Amazon? I don't mind pay a few bucks more to buy from dealers, but why?

Change it, then every 5k miles. I'd recommend using OEM filter. The vehicle is still under warranty and Hyundai and KIA have less than stellar warranty work. I have a 19' Sorento and use OEM oil filters and I can give you about 800 million reasons why.
If the OEM filters are so good.....why did hyundai and kia have so many engine failures due to metals being improperly filtered out?

Its an honest question.

I use Mann filters made in Korea.
Bought a pack of 10 from rock.
They are very well made and used on a lot of German cars as OEM.

Living in the PNW myself I'll say that just what my oil looks like at 5 or 7K miles. The UOA have all came back looking pretty good. Me I worry more about sunny weather here in Washington. I change it out in April and October. Not to hot not to cold and not rainy.

Change oil/filter every spring and fall, that's what I tried to do as well. The oil looked so good, but I'll change it.

If the OEM filters are so good.....why did hyundai and kia have so many engine failures due to metals being improperly filtered out?

Its an honest question.

Some of OE filters are made by Mann-Humel in Korea. Plus a couple of others, Young Dong and Mobis, they're all legit. But not sure how to tell the fakes.

My thinking is do the OC every 3,500-4,000 miles or every 6 months(for me) should keep the engine in top condition, metal shavings or not. The filter type shouldn't matter.

I'd also change the oil.
Just because hyundai and kia had known engine issues un the past.
We bought a new 19 santa fe.
I did 3 oil changes before the 5k oil change.

Some of OE filters are made by Mann-Humel in Korea. Plus a couple of others, Young Dong and Mobis, they're all legit. But not sure how to tell the fakes.

My thinking is do the OC every 3,500-4,000 miles or every 6 months(for me) should keep the engine in top condition, metal shavings or not.
The ones from rock weight a ton. They are quite heavy compared to the OEM that came on the car from the factory.

I would not use a cheap pos aftermarket filter, but I hate paying dealers prices for not amazing filters.

The ones from rock weight a ton. They are quite heavy compared to the OEM that came on the car from the factory.

I would not use a cheap pos aftermarket filter, but I hate paying dealers prices for not amazing filters.
I found some online Hyundai dealer selling OE filters for $5.21. I'm planning to buy 10, plus a case of ATF. The shipping cost is less than $30, not a bad deal, IMO. I'll save sales tax. https://www.hyundaioempartscheap.com/cart

I found some online Hyundai dealer selling OE filters for $5.21. I'm planning to buy 10, then a case of ATF. The shipping cost is less than $30, not a bad deal, IMO. I'll save sales tax. https://www.hyundaioempartscheap.com/cart
Thats great...cheapest in my area is $12 per filter.
Us Canadians get hosed.

I've used these on many an engine. Never failed no issues or tears.

I've been using nothing but Mann fleece filters from RA for my old ML320 well past 250,000 miles, it was the best and also Mercedes OEM. But this is Hyundai we're dealing with and my Tucson has only 6,200 miles on it. I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize its new car warranty.

DIY is so much cheaper than the Oil change Store you can afford it and your cars engine gets better protection.
100% agreed. Just make it easy to remember, not needing to look up the record.
IMHO, type or brand of oil filter doesn't matter but oil does. Change oil/filter regularly(better if done shorter OCI) is more important.

Its an honest question.

It wasn't that they weren't good filters. It's that they blamed the fires on people using aftermarket oil filters, which was in the court filings. There's the PDF online. H/K knew about the metal shavings, they just followed the normal business course of action. Don't give them any more reasons to deny warranty work. And their OEM oil filters are good for only about $6.50.

Back