2020 Honda Ridgeline

I have a 2020 Honda Ridgeline with 39000 miles. This is DI engine. Getting misfires across all cylinders. about 5 to 10 in a 30 min time period. Cylinder 6 is worse. It can go up to 15 misfires in a 20 min period. My mechanic says this is normal for GDI engines.

I replaced all spark plugs and cylinder 6 is still the worse. I took pictures of all cylinders and carbon does not seem that bad.

Whats next? I am thinking about getting and induction service done.

thanks

It probably needs injectors - they are sold as a set. The 17-19's had a TSB and warranty extension for this issue. If you do a relative compression test and the Cylinder AF test in iHDS, and both pass, high likelihood it needs injectors.

More than likely it is a bad coil pack on cylinder #6. You should mark coil #6 and swap it to a cylinder that fires the furthest away sequentially (cyl. #2) and see if you get a misfire on cyl. #2 and a different misfire code (e.g., P0306 changes to P0302). If so, the coil pack marked #6 is bad.

That's normal. All cars get some misfires. Until they set DTC's it isn't a concern.

Can't speak for the Honda's, but after owning multiple Ford Modular V8's with COP ignition - they can throw hundreds of misfires and won't throw any codes, but its clearly noticeable. The DTC being set took a very long time to present itself in many cases, meaning the misfire count by cylinder was a useful tool...

There is a bulletin for injectors causing misfires/fuel trim codes on these. Not sure if Honda will do anything until a code sets though.

I had a similar situation with my 2018 Silverado. Mine did (twice) throw a check engine light. Flashing check engine light (on the highway twice). Code was one particular cylinder (think it was cylinder five). Switched coils, nothing, compression test normal. Hooked up my scan tool, random misfires, fuel trim levels off initially. Everything seemed to point to injectors. Wasn’t covered under warranty, started happening at 42,000 miles. Drove it till 50,000 miles and then traded it in back to the dealer for cash.

Truck would randomly have a fish bite sensation. Like when a fish bites your line but doesn’t take the bait. Pretty sure all 8 injectors needed replacement, was going to do it myself but all parts were on back order.

Direct injected engines are nice (when they work properly).

I called the dealership. until it throws a code nothing they can do. If it does throw a code. they will probley replace all the injectors.

Can't speak for the Honda's, but after owning multiple Ford Modular V8's with COP ignition - they can throw hundreds of misfires and won't throw any codes, but its clearly noticeable. The DTC being set took a very long time to present itself in many cases, meaning the misfire count by cylinder was a useful tool...

Yes, I've noticed the same.

Back