2020 Honda Pilot Oil Filter

Hey folks:

Hoping someone can help.

The oil filter on this is located basically right over the frame rail.

I don't like wrenching a new filter on - but I can't seem to get it tight enough. (Small oil drips after hand tightening).

Is there a trick here? Or are filter pliers the only option? (The cap wrench won't fit between the frame and filter).

I've never had one I couldnt get tight enough by hand.
usually 3/4 turn after gasket contact is good.
try not to get oil on the can and use rubber palm gloves to install?

I dont use filter pliers to install as you can scratch and dent the can.

maybe some sort of strap or band wrench?

If it's leaking when you've tightened it as much as you can my hand something may be wrong. I've never experienced that.

I watched some videos on your car on youtube. That is an annoying filter placement. At least they angled it so you should be able to better access to it but don't have a good angle on that I can see it being a pain to tighten.

You sure that you're not just getting oil outside of the gasket when you install the filter?

Lots of filters have a lip around the outside that will hold oil.

I don't like wrenching a new filter on - but I can't seem to get it tight enough.
As others have said, consider replacing the filter. The gasket might have a nick or you didn't clean the mating surface adequately. Otherwise, don't be afraid to use a filter wrench to put them on. You can still control how tight it is.

Make sure your old filter has its gasket on it.. If its not there, its likely its still on the mount.

I've never had a filter leak oil even when put on "loose". I usually tighten it by hand, using nitrile gloves (they add a little more grip). Make sure you also didn't cross thread the filter (absolute worst case scenario).

I watched some videos on your car on youtube. That is an annoying filter placement. At least they angled it so you should be able to better access to it but don't have a good angle on that I can see it being a pain to tighten.
Looks just like my Odyssey. I found it pretty convenient; didn't even need to lift the car.

I draped a rag over the control arm and put a 1qt bag over the filter after breaking it loose. Didn't spill a drop.

Looks just like my Odyssey. I found it pretty convenient; didn't even need to lift the car.

I draped a rag over the control arm and put a 1qt bag over the filter after breaking it loose. Didn't spill a drop.

I'm a gentleman of slightly larger carriage. I don't think I could even get my head under an Odyssey.

It's just difficult to grip - I was going to try one of those rubber things you use to loosen a jar top. Or, maybe some rubber gloves. I had to wrench it off - which surprised me.

I'm a gentleman of slightly larger carriage. I don't think I could even get my head under an Odyssey.

It's just difficult to grip - I was going to try one of those rubber things you use to loosen a jar top. Or, maybe some rubber gloves. I had to wrench it off - which surprised me.
I'm 6' and 250 so I'm not tiny. Maybe my reach helped me out.

I had to use channel locks to get the factory filter broken free. I don't anticipate a problem removing the one I just installed.

When we had our Odyssey, and our son's Accord V6 is the same way, all you have to do is turn the steering wheel almost-full-lock one direction or the other and the oil filter is pretty accessible, without jacking it up.

I have no trouble with the filter on my 2019 Honda Pilot. I always do mine with the car front on ramps. I did purchase an oil filter removal tool when I first got the Pilot but have never used it. It is the kind which fits on the bottom of the filter and you use an extension or ratchet to turn it loose or to tighten it.

Some owners have found it easier to turn the wheels which allow better access to the filter. I also always place a large zip lock bag over the filter once I have broken it free. When removing the filter the bag catches any oil and keeps it off me, the subframe, and the garage floor!

Thanks folks - I'll give it a shot by turning the wheel and see if I can reach - I assumed that the frame would be in the way or my arm would be too short.. I usually go at it from the front on jacks.

Back