2020 Ford F-150 5.0L XLT - Rental Review

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
While the Jeep was in the body shop for 2-1/2 weeks and 700 miles, I had a 2020 F150 XLT (I assume) 5.0L 4x2, 56k miles as a rental. I'm not a truck guy so thought I'd put my thoughts on it here.

Overall, it's ok. I think I'd have to have a higher trim level to like it a lot more. That might fix some of my gripes.

Pros:
  • Engine. Pretty decent power, enough to get out of it's own way. I got about 16 mpg with it which wasn't the best. I didn't drive it that gently though.
  • Transmission. This one surprised me, I was expecting to not like the 10 speed auto. It was actually quick and had good/smart programming. Sport mode was great too, nice and aggressive and was fun to drive.
  • Comfort. Pretty decent cloth seats, although not much side bolstering so you do kind of flop around in the truck on corners. Lots of room front and back.
  • Had Apple CarPlay.
  • Brakes. Not sure if this is a Pro or a Con. They were over-boosted so until you get used to them, you almost fly through the windshield pulling up to a stop light. But I eventually got used to it. Now my Grand Cherokee's pedal feels like mashed potatoes to me.
  • Suspension. Rode like a truck but that's ok, it handled bumps good enough.
Cons:
  • Tech. Other than Apple CarPlay, the radio was pretty old school. Probably better on higher trim models. It also had settings in the instrument cluster for remote start. This truck doesn't have remote start. Why tease you?
  • Engine sound. I've never liked Ford V8's/V10's engine sound. They sound monotone like a deep toned vacuum cleaner. Little rumble and not good tone. They sound like they have no compression.
  • Speakers. The sound quality of the speakers were atrocious. They were almost as bad as a Uhaul's speakers.
  • Cheap plastic all over. Again, think Uhaul.
  • It had side steps which were kind of dangerous and not necessary on a 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive IMO. I was always tripping on them, and my sister stepped out and tripped on them and skinned her knee pretty bad. Just in the way. I feel like if they were more substantial they'd be better if it had to have them.
  • The front lower lip hung too low and got caught on parking bricks. Needed another 1/2".
  • Transmission shifted into reverse slowly (could be rental car abuse)
  • Stop/Start. Luckily there's a button to turn it off but it turns back on when you drive the car next. Not smart enough to keep the engine on when you have the A/C on so it gets stuffy quick.
  • Dead steering response. And this is coming from a guy who has had 2 Camrys and 2 Hyundais.
  • Headlights. Horrific headlights.
  • Still has a key. No push button start or keyless entry
  • Buttons/switches. I felt like they were often awkwardly placed. The window switches are far out of reach and angled weird. The other switches like headlights, fog lights etc. were low and out of sight. The radio and cruise control buttons on the steering wheel were big and weird, cheap, Megablox buttons.
1CEEA695-1634-4C58-849F-DFE85ADC470D.jpeg
17868E8A-1C84-4D75-B792-AAD554386314.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like a pretty sweet ride! I can deal with all those cons, but keep in mind that's coming from a guy driving his mother in law's old Corolla to save a few bucks. Currently searching for a Crown Vic! :ROFLMAO:

Looks like a pretty sweet ride! I can deal with all those cons, but keep in mind that's coming from a guy driving his mother in law's old Corolla to save a few bucks. Currently searching for a Crown Vic! :ROFLMAO:
I can't spend $40k on a truck and have all those cons!

Correct about running boards on a 2wd unless you're 5 feet tall. Correct about the front air dam, take it off. Key no big deal. You learn where the controls are if it's your truck. All the other interior stuff and infotainment, well it's a low trim truck. Steering, it's a full size truck not a Tesla. At least the interior isn't as black as the inside of a coal mine. I never could warm up to Ford interiors in general either . So you're still not a truck guy. Got the Jeep back, how's it look?

Correct about running boards on a 2wd unless you're 5 feet tall. Correct about the front air dam, take it off. Key no big deal. You learn where the controls are if it's your truck. All the other interior stuff and infotainment, well it's a low trim truck. Steering, it's a full size truck not a Tesla. At least the interior isn't as black as the inside of a coal mine. I never could warm up to Ford interiors in general either . So you're still not a truck guy. Got the Jeep back, how's it look?
If Hyundai can make keyless entry and push button start on their base model roller skates standard, so should a big nice truck.

Jeep looks good, you can see it here:

Nick, glad to see you posting!
We have a few F150s in the family, and I will tell you that I 100% agree with all of your Pros.
However, you are correct about some of your complaints being fixed with a higher trim. We have an XLT with the 9 speaker optional system and it actually sounds decent. Ours likely has more tech options and does not have the lower lip. No issues with slow shift into reverse. I love the sound of the 5.0, but our 2.7 sounds great.
The other cons, again I 100% agree. Ours is a 4x4 and the steering is dead on center. Lots of cheap plastic. I do not care for Ford seats, especially coming from a 4th Gen Camry. Not to mention that those cars have killer ergonomics.

My buddy bought a brand new 2019 with the Coyote 5.0L, 10 Spd tranny, 4WD w/3.55.1 diff.
What I am not quite impressed with it the 395 hp. It just doesn't feel it and the engine has a bit of a gritty feeling. Just not as smooth as I though it should be.

While the Jeep was in the body shop for 2-1/2 weeks and 700 miles, I had a 2020 F150 XLT (I assume) 5.0L 4x2, 56k miles as a rental. I'm not a truck guy so thought I'd put my thoughts on it here.

Overall, it's ok. I think I'd have to have a higher trim level to like it a lot more. That might fix some of my gripes.

Pros:
  • Engine. Pretty decent power, enough to get out of it's own way. I got about 16 mpg with it which wasn't the best. I didn't drive it that gently though.
  • Transmission. This one surprised me, I was expecting to not like the 10 speed auto. It was actually quick and had good/smart programming. Sport mode was great too, nice and aggressive and was fun to drive.
  • Brakes. Not sure if this is a Pro or a Con. They were over-boosted so until you get used to them, you almost fly through the windshield pulling up to a stop light. But I eventually got used to it. Now my Grand Cherokee's pedal feels like mashed potatoes to me.
  • Suspension. Rode like a truck but that's ok, it handled bumps good enough.
Cons:

• Engine sound. I've never liked Ford V8's/V10's engine sound. They sound monotone like a deep toned vacuum cleaner. Little rumble and not good tone. They sound like they have no compression.
  • Transmission shifted into reverse slowly (could be rental car abuse)
  • Dead steering response. And this is coming from a guy who has had 2 Camrys and 2 Hyundais.

100% agree on these points. I had a rental 5.0 F150 from Uhaul. 19K miles. I can guarantee it had never seen an oil change in its life.

The 5.0 / 10 speed was awesome for towing my Jeep on the trailer through the PA mountains. For fun I matted it going up a 12-14% grade hill and had to let off at 58MPH. It definitely sounds like a modular v8. Has the same weird whine at 2500 or so that my 5.4 has.

Steering and brakes -experienced the same.

Only issue I had with the transmission is a few times it got "confused" and stuck in 3rd. 19K rental miles.

Good review Nick. Some points objective, some subjective. What suits depends on needs and perspective. I want a truck to do truck things with, tow the trailer, haul dirty shedding (sometimes puking) dogs, get plants and sand and stuff. Give me a rubber mat floor and easy to clean interior, don't need a 10" tablet in the dash or carplay whatever or nanny stuff and the audio is only background music. Not looking for a truck to ride like a car or have an interior like an entry level luxury car. The little button you push on the outside door handle that unlocks the doors is nice but no necessary. Got remote start and haven't even tried it yet. Had to get stuff we didn't want to get what we did. If my truck was my daily driver commuter and I didn't tow or have the k9s I'd want a different truck.

100% agree on these points. I had a rental 5.0 F150 from Uhaul. 19K miles. I can guarantee it had never seen an oil change in its life.

The 5.0 / 10 speed was awesome for towing my Jeep on the trailer through the PA mountains. For fun I matted it going up a 12-14% grade hill and had to let off at 58MPH. It definitely sounds like a modular v8. Has the same weird whine at 2500 or so that my 5.4 has.

Steering and brakes -experienced the same.

Only issue I had with the transmission is a few times it got "confused" and stuck in 3rd. 19K rental miles.
I think transmissions are hard to gauge on a rental. With so many different driving styles in short periods I think it can't adapt properly. You've got someone who is driving it like a maniac one day, then an old man hauling a lawn mower the next.

The slow shift into reverse I don't count against it too hard. Could be from abuse.

This review makes my $46k (msrp) 2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn sound like a luxury truck in comparison.
The Ram is a nice truck!! My friend just bought one and it feels like a luxury car inside. The interior materials are top quality. I'm very impressed. I'm not a truck guy, but if I were to own one, it would be a Ram and nothing else.

This review makes my $46k (msrp) 2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn sound like a luxury truck in comparison.
I'm not an FCA guy (hard to believe as I have 2 Jeeps!) but although I haven't been in a newer Chevy or Ram pickup, I have a feeling if I wanted a truck it would have to be a Ram.

My buddy bought a brand new 2019 with the Coyote 5.0L, 10 Spd tranny, 4WD w/3.55.1 diff.
What I am not quite impressed with it the 395 hp. It just doesn't feel it and the engine has a bit of a gritty feeling. Just not as smooth as I though it should be.
Must be additional powertrain loss through the 4x4 system. My brother’s ‘19 Platinum 5.0 2wd pulls pretty hard for a big girl.

I have 3 F150's. There is absolutely no question the 2009 (big V8, steel body, hydraulic steering) is the best driving one of the bunch. The 2011 has electric steering and the 2018 has the jiggly aluminum body. Both of the newer trucks are noisier too.

The old school truck is still my favorite, despite it's terrible MPG.

Back