2020 F450 6.7L oil

Hi all, looking for some input on oil for a new 2020 F450 diesel oil. This is the new uprated 6.7 with the 10 speed and 4:30 gears. I ordered it in Dec. and it came in Mar 2nd, right before the plants closed. I bought it to pull a 43 ft 16K pound plus 5th wheel, my future retirement home. It will not see much towing for the next few years, maybe a 1000 miles a year towing and it is not my daily driver. I know I will get all kinds of recommendations of brands but I really want to stick to Motorcraft diesel oils. My main question is will the factory installed 10W30 be ok for now or should I go the 5W40 synthetic? Owners manual recommends 5W40 for severe use which includes towing over 1000 miles per oil change which I won't be doing until down the road. This truck brand new gets 18.5-19.5 mpg on a road trip, very nice with 4:30 gears on the 10W30. Thoughts oh wise ones?

5W-40 if it was mine but then I think the owners manual is the best place to start.

If it were my truck, I would give it time to break in a bit before doing the first oil change. A couple of thousand miles would be totally reasonable. Then use whatever helps you sleep best at night. 5w40 is also a reasonable choice, but Motorcraft XO-10W30-QSD is SAFE to use in your truck and if you change it with that or any other WSS-M2C171-F1 rated oil at recommended intervals, the engine will likely be running strong till the day wheels fall off.

Originally Posted by ripcord
If it were my truck, I would give it time to break in a bit before doing the first oil change. A couple of thousand miles would be totally reasonable. Then use whatever helps you sleep best at night. 5w40 is also a reasonable choice, but Motorcraft XO-10W30-QSD is SAFE to use in your truck and if you change it with that or any other WSS-M2C171-F1 rated oil at recommended intervals, the engine will likely be running strong till the day wheels fall off.

Thanks ripcord, that's kind of what I was thinking with the 10W30. It's not a cheap truck and I have no problem using the 5W40 either now or when I start towing full time just not sure it's necessary for the current usage.

I have been running 5w40 in my 2014 F550 6.7. It is a motorhome 16,000 lbs plus flat towing at 5,500 Ibs truck. My manual says 5w-40 for severe service vs 10w30 for "normal." Does your diesel supplement state the same for severe vs normal?

Had my upper oil pan redone under warranty twice and dealer puts in 10w30 irrespective of severe vs normal. So, I have 10w30 in right now...cannot tell a different feel wise. Nice truck OP.

Originally Posted by mbacfp
I have been running 5w40 in my 2014 F550 6.7. It is a motorhome 16,000 lbs plus flat towing at 5,500 Ibs truck. My manual says 5w-40 for severe service vs 10w30 for "normal." Does your diesel supplement state the same for severe vs normal?

Had my upper oil pan redone under warranty twice and dealer puts in 10w30 irrespective of severe vs normal. So, I have 10w30 in right now...cannot tell a different feel wise. Nice truck OP.
Yes my manual says the same thing, 10W30 for "normal" use and 5W40 for severe use which includes towing heavy etc. It has the factory fill 10W30 in it now with just 1500 miles on it so far. I may run that to 5K and the just switch to 5W40 and be done with it. Thanks for the compliment!

Your welcome. I remember I changed mine over to Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5w-40 at 2,400 miles or so. I have some UOAs posted here with Valvoline and Delvac 5w-40 (CJ4). Oil viscosity shears down to a 30 weight as per my UOAs. No fuel dilution...mine regens at 500 mile intervals.

How often does yours regen? I'm now at 31,000 miles and other than upper oil pan repairs I love the truck.

My 2020 Ram 3500 Cummins manual recommends 10w30 for zero degrees and above, and synthetic 5w40 for temps starting below zero. It does NOT differentiate between severe towing or not. I wonder why Ram doesn't seem to care about severe service (such as me towing a 20K fifth wheel full time.)

Even though I won't be driving in subzero temps (I have wheels on my house, after all) my intent is to go with Rotella T6 5w40 at 10k, and every 10k thereafter.

Will my mileage suffer greatly?

Roy

Originally Posted by Chris142
Ot: check each states licensing requirements. Your 16k+ trailer requires a cdl in some states. My state offers a non commercial CDLfor towing an RV trailer over 15k.
Yep I've discovered Texas requires the class A CDL when over 26K pounds combined GVWR, I'm at 30800 lol.
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted by mbacfp
Your welcome. I remember I changed mine over to Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5w-40 at 2,400 miles or so. I have some UOAs posted here with Valvoline and Delvac 5w-40 (CJ4). Oil viscosity shears down to a 30 weight as per my UOAs. No fuel dilution...mine regens at 500 mile intervals.

How often does yours regen? I'm now at 31,000 miles and other than upper oil pan repairs I love the truck.

Frankly I only have 1500 miles on the truck so far and have not noticed it do a regen. You can usually tell because the avg mpg readout on the dash takes big hit then raises back up when it's done.

I'd be using the thickest oil I can in that truck with a fuel additive that has MMT or FBC in it.

Ford still uses main injection for DPF regeneration which higher cylinder wear than emissions systems which use a 9th injector.

Originally Posted by HighwayRanger
My 2020 Ram 3500 Cummins manual recommends 10w30 for zero degrees and above, and synthetic 5w40 for temps starting below zero. It does NOT differentiate between severe towing or not. I wonder why Ram doesn't seem to care about severe service (such as me towing a 20K fifth wheel full time.)

Even though I won't be driving in subzero temps (I have wheels on my house, after all) my intent is to go with Rotella T6 5w40 at 10k, and every 10k thereafter.

Will my mileage suffer greatly?

Roy

No, the fuel economy may drop 0.5%, so you probably won't notice.

I'll be running Mobil 1 Delvac ESP 0w40 In my 2020 F350.
I ran it in my 2015 F350 with great results. I had a Blackstone analysis done on every change from new. And tried a few different oils. The Delvac esp is great oil.
And yesI run it year around. From +35c to -45c. Tow year around for work with it.

ABChop - do you recall if the analysis showed significant viscosity drop (due to permanent shear of VII additive)? I understand this is not a HEUI engine, but still.

The last change was 5w40 Mobil 1 turbo diesel oil.
All the ones before that were Mobil 1 Delvac ESP 0w40....which is my favourite.
I just tried the turbo oil to see if there was much of a difference.

Living in Texas, I'd be running 5W40 or 15W40 year round. Cold starts are a non issue and you need the viscosity for protection in that super high output 6.7. Don't worry about CAFE BS

Back