2020 F150

OK. I don't have to add oil between oil changes (I'll use that from now on).
That's probably a better way to state it. In the example above-one poster stated he used 3.7 ounces between oil changes-that's essentially no oil. That's an amount you can't (and shouldn't) try to top off.

Oil down 2 quarts and changed 16K miles ago? I'd pass with a big no thanks.
Agree. I might be OK with this condition if they recently received the truck and/or if it was just sitting in the lot. But if they let a potential customer take it home in this condition, obviously they didn't bother with the easiest and most basic inspections. Pass.

Agree. I might be OK with this condition if they recently received the truck and/or if it was just sitting in the lot. But if they let a potential customer take it home in this condition, obviously they didn't bother with the easiest and most basic inspections. Pass.
To me a vehicle down 2 quarts of oil, even with a 9 quart sump indicates to me, neglect. It shouldn't be down 2 quarts if the owner cared for the vehicle and took care of routine maintenance, checking the oil level and tire pressure tops the chart for basic maintenance. Regarding the dealer letting the OP take the vehicle overnight, I don't see a problem with that. What I see is a stupid dealership. Any car we ever sold or allowed a customer test drive went through the shop first, there would be no way they'd be low on oil. Having said that, the vehicle might very well be fine. However that's a risk not worth it to me, knowing it was low on oil, and arriving at the 16K mile figure the OCI "might" have been.

This is splitting hairs. For the vast majority of car owners, if the level on the dipstick shows no change from the full mark then the engine is not burning any oil. We don’t have the equipment to measure the minuscule amount that is burned over time.
If the oil level doesn't move at all in 10,000+ miles then the reason the oil level is not moving isn't because it "hasn't burned a drop oil". Plus, most people don't try to consistantly and accurately measure the oil level - they see it's still close to the full mark and conclude "it's not using any oil".

All the vehicles I've had/have do have a verified linear dipstick. If it's 20 mm between the L and F marks, then you have a 1/20th quart resolution (1.6 oz). If the level went down 1 mm over 5000 miles then use rate is 100,000 mi per qt. You could say "it didn't use a drop of oil" but in reality it did use some oil.

All the vehicles I've had/have do have a verified linear dipstick. If it's 20 mm between the L and F marks, then you have a 1/20th quart resolution (1.6 oz). If the level went down 1 mm over 5000 miles then use rate is 100,000 mi per qt. You could say "it didn't use a drop of oil" but in reality it did use some oil.

You have too much time on your hands. :p

You have too much time on your hands. :p
LoL, could be ... but it's called being in tune with the machine. Doesn't take long to figure out how to make consistant and accurate oil level checks. Been doing it for decades.

To me a vehicle down 2 quarts of oil, even with a 9 quart sump indicates to me, neglect. It shouldn't be down 2 quarts if the owner cared for the vehicle and took care of routine maintenance, checking the oil level and tire pressure tops the chart for basic maintenance. Regarding the dealer letting the OP take the vehicle overnight, I don't see a problem with that. What I see is a stupid dealership. Any car we ever sold or allowed a customer test drive went through the shop first, there would be no way they'd be low on oil. Having said that, the vehicle might very well be fine. However that's a risk not worth it to me, knowing it was low on oil, and arriving at the 16K mile figure the OCI "might" have been.
FWIW, those engines have a 2qt window between add and full and they hold 9 qts of oil

because they changed the oil pans in different year model. the composite oil pans hold an additional quart of oil.

Those idiot engineers still putting the plug on the side of the oil pan, what a crock of ****. Fumoto valve is an awesome piece for these.

mine is on the back of the pan, right in line with the sway bar. lol. other than that complaint, I really don't have any complaints about the composite oil pan. it works as it should. at first i was hesitant, but after doing some research the composite pan is actually stronger than the steel pan and my engine has an additional quart of oil circulating during a oci.

When I looked for my used Honda CR-V I searched online sites like AutoTrader and looked at the CarFax reports for the vehicle having a complete history of having the oil changed EVERY TIME WHEN IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN. If it did not have that I did not even go to look at it. When I found my dealer Honda Certified the dealer had change the oil and filter, brake fluid, rear-end fluid, and put new brake pads on all 4 wheels, and 4 new tires that have the TPMSF rating before I even went to look at it, and I looked at it the day after the first day it was listed.

The dealer you are dealing with talked dealer certified, and did not even change the oil and filter, or even check the oil level and top it off. That is a BIG RED FLAG.

The previous owner put over 16,000 miles on one oil change and did not maintain full oil level. That is a BIG RED FLAG.

How many other times had the previous owner abused that engine like that, or even worse? It is a big unknown, and the fact that it was done once indicates that it was likely done many times.

Many engines do not properly lube the timing chain if the oil level is below the bottom mark on the dip stick, and if ran that way will result in the timing chain having to be replaced at much lower-than-normal miles. That is another BIG RED FLAG.

PASS, PASS, PASS. In other words, do not walk away from that dealer, RUN FOREST RUN.

Keep looking.

Back