2020 F150

If i can rely on the dipstick then yes zero usage !
I just looked at my Tacoma log, and it used 3.7 oz of oil in 6,000 miles ... which equates to 52,500 miles per quart. If I just glanced at the dipstick I guess I could also conclude it used "zero" oil in 6K miles. 😄 But the fact is, it did use some oil. I have a feeling some people don't have a very regimented and accurate oil level checking procedure.

Buying a 2020 F150. About 65,xxx miles on it. Really good price.

Dealer let me take it home over night. After doing a thorough inspection in my garage, it looks like last oil change was 16,xxx miles ago.

Dipstick is showing hardly any oil. Took two quarts to bring it back into range on the dip stick.

Truck is real clean other than that. Dealer has it certified pre-owned, so should have a 35,xxx mileage warranty on power train.

Should I pass on this truck, or just be religious about oil changes (which I am anyway). Thinking about just doing some short drain and fills for the first few changes and then just move on.

Thanks so much!
65K miles on a 2020 model? I'm gonna guess that it spent a lot of time on the highway. 16k miles since last oil change is long, but if it was mostly highway - shouldn't be too much of a problem. Go with Mobil 1 0W40 and 3k OCI for first 3 oil changes, then go up to 5K OCI and stay with that for the length of ownership. M1 0W40 should clean it up and keep it clean, while providing better protection for the timing chain components than anything specified in the owners manual.
image-25.jpg

For faster results just use this. Change oil filter every 1000 miles while you run this. More information and verifiable results are available here. And if you still have questions or concerns, you can message @High Performance Lubricants directly and get an understandable human reply, instead of robotic lawyer language with other companies.

I just looked at my Tacoma log, and it used 3.7 oz of oil in 6,000 miles ... which equates to 52,500 miles per quart. If I just glanced at the dipstick I guess I could also conclude it used "zero" oil in 6K miles. 😄 But the fact is, it did use some oil. I have a feeling some people don't have a very regimented and accurate oil level checking procedure.
Have to agree thats not really burning oil ....
As to checking the oil i do once per week ! really some weeks the car hardly moves ,now when i check the oil its always in the garage parked to within inches of the same spot so pretty accurate in my case and also check after it has sat over night.
Also agree most people do not have a regime of checking there oil, and other things as well its mostly an after thought. would guess 80% of drivers don't even remember when they last changed the oil .
Unless they are nuts like us on a motor oil forum Lol.......

65K miles on a 2020 model? I'm gonna guess that it spent a lot of time on the highway. 16k miles since last oil change is long, but if it was mostly highway - shouldn't be too much of a problem. Go with Mobil 1 0W40 and 3k OCI for first 3 oil changes, then go up to 5K OCI and stay with that for the length of ownership. M1 0W40 should clean it up and keep it clean, while providing better protection for the timing chain components than anything specified in the owners manual.
View attachment 99162

For faster results just use this. Change oil filter every 1000 miles while you run this. More information and verifiable results are available here. And if you still have questions or concerns, you can message @High Performance Lubricants directly and get an understandable human reply, instead of robotic lawyer language with other companies.
Agree on all fronts. Truck was a fleet vehicle that basically saw all highway miles. Have bought several trucks like this and they always run good with little to no problems.

I've owned dozens of vehicles over the years (none being DI), and none of them have used "zero" oil at 5K to 6K miles.
I have the opposite-I have purchased my vehicles new and have never had the need to add oil before changes.

I have the opposite-I have purchased my vehicles new and have never had the need to add oil before changes.
There's a difference between "not having to add oil before a change" and not using one drop of oil. It could be down a whole quart at the time of the oil change, and meet the "I didn't have to ad any oil" over the OCI.

There's a difference between "not having to add oil before a change" and not using one drop of oil. It could be down a whole quart at the time of the oil change, and meet the "I didn't have to ad any oil" over the OCI.
OK-I have never been down more than than one could accurately add between oil changes. A 32/nd below the full line.

I've owned multiple vehicles that have used a negligible amount of oil during 5000 mile oil changes - going back to late 80s through recent years. And I've had others that used oil like clockwork.

Seems like a strange hill to die on - and implies there is some high level of precision to a dipstick measurement of oil level.

Was it zero use? Use offset by dilution? Does it matter when it measures the same?

I always take one home overnight
Yep, same here. That's one of my requirements when I'm buying a car or I walk away. Every car I've looked at, the dealer let me keep it overnight. Gives you a really good chance to give it a thorough "once over" plus driving it in different conditions other than the "around the block" test drive.

No engine uses zero oil in 10K miles - ie, "doesn't burn a drop". If it looks like it's not, then something else is going on. Like I said above, my Tacoma used 3.7 oz in 6K miles which some people might call "zero oil use", but in reality it still used some oil.

No engine uses zero oil in 10K miles - ie, "doesn't burn a drop". If it looks like it's not, then something else is going on. Like I said above, my Tacoma used 3.7 oz in 6K miles which some people might call "zero oil use", but in reality it still used some oil.
Seriously? It is a saying..."Didn't burn a drop." What that means when I say it, is that I didn't have to add any oil. Did a bit of oil get used? Probably. That isn't the point and you know this...you know what people mean, you are just being a bit anal.

Seriously? It is a saying..."Didn't burn a drop." What that means when I say it, is that I didn't have to add any oil. Did a bit of oil get used? Probably. That isn't the point and you know this...you know what people mean, you are just being a bit anal.
If it's not your point, then don't literally say "it doesn't burn a drop" after 10,000+ miles on the oil. Like I said earlier, seems people say their engine uses "zero oil" (ie, "doesn't use a drop" just because they don't have to add any oil before the next oil change and the level hasn't dropped below the Add mark on the dipstick. Huge difference ... sloppy talk and exaggerations that are not true.

It's a saying. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. Stop being so arrogant.

Get over yourself.
It's an exaggerated saying, and you know it ... that's why anyone saying such a claim is exaggerating/embellishing for whatever reason, but then the real truth comes out later.

"My Tacoma didn't use a drop in 20K miles."
Translation: it burned 1.6 qts because the oil level went from the Full mark to the Add mark ... but I didn't have to ad any oil !! 😂 :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It's an exaggerated saying, and you know it ... that's why anyone saying such a claim is exaggerating/embellishing for whatever reason, but then the real truth comes out later.

"My Tacoma didn't use a drop in 20K miles."
Translation: it burned 1.6 qts because the oil level went from the Full mark to the Add mark ... but I didn't have to ad any oil !! 😂 :rolleyes:
My F150 didn't use a drop during this last OCI.

This is splitting hairs. For the vast majority of car owners, if the level on the dipstick shows no change from the full mark then the engine is not burning any oil. We don’t have the equipment to measure the minuscule amount that is burned over time.

This is splitting hairs. For the vast majority of car owners, if the level on the dipstick shows no change from the full mark then the engine is not burning any oil. We don’t have the equipment to measure the minuscule amount that is burned over time.
OK. I don't have to add oil between oil changes (I'll use that from now on).

Back