2020 F150

.Dipstick is showing hardly any oil. Took two quarts to bring it back into range on the dip stick.
Maybe whoever did the last oil change didn't get the level right to start with, like it was a quart low to start with.

What's a 2020 Coyote in the truck take for oil volume? i know the 2020 Coyote in the Mustang is 10 quarts.

There was a TSB on them 5.0 Coyote engines with oil consumption. I think it’s a software update. Double check with the dealer before you pull the Trigger
I was under the impression that later years 5.0's in the F-150 did not have the typical cylinder liner but relied on treated aluminum of the block instead. This seemed to have increased oil usage requiring frequent checking of the oil level. Is this F-150 being sold by a Ford dealer?

I was under the impression that later years 5.0's in the F-150 did not have the typical cylinder liner but relied on treated aluminum of the block instead. This seemed to have increased oil usage requiring frequent checking of the oil level. Is this F-150 being sold by a Ford dealer?
The 3rd Gen Coyote (2018+) has a plasma applied steel on aluminum type cylinder coating - no more iron liner. I dont think the iron cylinder liner sleeves on the 1st and 2nd Gen engines were "threaded", but just pressed in.

There was a TSB on them 5.0 Coyote engines with oil consumption. I think it’s a software update. Double check with the dealer before you pull the Trigger
Software update was for year 21 f150. The TSB is to replace the dipstick with a longer range. They did have oil consumption issues, ford went back to 5w30 for 5.0 for model year 21. No more 5w20

The TSB is to replace the dipstick with a longer range.
1651950238727.jpg

Does the dealership have any reputation sourced from friends?

If you added the 2 quarts, was there any improvement in operation?

I ask because a friend bought a '97 F-150 4.6 from a widow. The truck had sat for >2 years and it went to a friend's garage for some "pre-delivery repairs". The bottom line here was that it was owned by my friend for 10 weeks but driven for only 3 weeks lacking 3 quarts of oil. The 4.6 takes 6.

After adding the needed oil he said the difference in smoothness and pedal response was huge. In fact, it was the clattering the engine did going up my hill which prompted me to check the oil at the very next stop.

It's 6 years and 35K later and the engine runs strong. It's not a tough call you're to make. It's a guess.

I wouldn't know what to make of all the "dealer let you take it home" stuff. I thought that was to get people with budget limits to buy via peer pressure. "Hey Bill, where'd that nice truck go?", is one question many wouldn't want to answer.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Maybe whoever did the last oil change didn't get the level right to start with, like it was a quart low to start with.

What's a 2020 Coyote in the truck take for oil volume? i know the 2020 Coyote in the Mustang is 10 quarts.
I think the truck 5.0 are 9 quarts !
So is 16000 miles on a sump with 9 quarts of oil really that bad ! hard to think it would be.

Update - ending up purchasing it. Have bought 20+ vehicles from car salesman and dealership over the years. I always take one home overnight or even for several days. Once had one for over a month before buying! I like to go over them in a lot more detail than just giving it the once over on the lot. We discussed low oil issue and 16,xxx potential last change. I think the CPO will cover me with any potential issues (if any) from the extended interval and low oil level. As a lot of people have mentioned, the sump is almost 9 quarts which gives me some comfort. Have had several 5.0s before and they’ve always been stout engines. Plan on doing one or two short interval changes and then just roll on from there. Thanks for all of the input!

TL; DR.. Oil ran for that long certainly isn’t ideal, but not a deal breaker IMO. With the consumption, I’d be hesitant.

Carfax is a complete joke. As a buyer you can’t go by it, but the dealer can certainly use it against you. I have a new vehicle and do not plan on keeping its maintenance history updated with Carfax.

The oil consumption is what would worry me. I would expect zero noticeable consumption with a 10k OCI on something this new. I realize this is possibly 16k, but dang… 2(ish) quarts low. That just seems like a lot.

7.7 quarts for the years with metal drain plug, 8.8 for the years with plastic yellow drain plug.

The oil consumption is what would worry me. I would expect zero noticeable consumption with a 10k OCI on something this new. I realize this is possibly 16k, but dang… 2(ish) quarts low. That just seems like a lot.
No Coyote is going to go 10K miles and not use any oil. Actualky, 1 quart every 8K miles on a Coyote is pretty low oil use rate. Most use more like a quart every 4K to 5K miles.

My 2015 gets an oil change yearly which works out to about 10000 kilometers or 6000 miles its always been on the full mark on the dipstick, i think i could go 10k and not burn anywhere near a quart of oil.

My 2015 gets an oil change yearly which works out to about 10000 kilometers or 6000 miles its always been on the full mark on the dipstick, i think i could go 10k and not burn anywhere near a quart of oil.

I change my 2012 3.5 EB at the same miles and it doesn't use hardly any either.

I've owned dozens of vehicles over the years (none being DI), and none of them have used "zero" oil at 5K to 6K miles.

Reactions: FZ1
I've owned dozens of vehicles over the years (none being DI), and none of them have used "zero" oil at 5K to 6K miles.
Not saying being full on the dipstick means thats its not consuming some oil but no where near a quart.
maybe i'm lucky .

My 2021 5.0 takes exactly 7.75 quarts just as the owner's manual states. Puts the oil close to the max end on the dipstick. I currently have 10,271 miles and it doesn't burn a drop.

I don't think anyone even implied zero oil usage.
Saying the oil level was always still on the full mark after 6000 miles is basically saying there was zero oil usage.

Back