2020 F150

Buying a 2020 F150. About 65,xxx miles on it. Really good price.

Dealer let me take it home over night. After doing a thorough inspection in my garage, it looks like last oil change was 16,xxx miles ago.

Dipstick is showing hardly any oil. Took two quarts to bring it back into range on the dip stick.

Truck is real clean other than that. Dealer has it certified pre-owned, so should have a 35,xxx mileage warranty on power train.

Should I pass on this truck, or just be religious about oil changes (which I am anyway). Thinking about just doing some short drain and fills for the first few changes and then just move on.

Thanks so much!

Dealer should be able to change the oil for free, doesn't hurt to ask and worst case is they say no but a lot of times they are happy to make the sale and will accommodate any minor request.

Once I bought a used '91 Ford Explorer from the dealer and one of the auto locking hubs wouldn't lock so I asked about swapping them out for the manual ones and didn't cost me anything, I was expecting to pay for the other side but they covered both of them.

Last oil change was over 16000 miles ago!

Dealer was stupid enough not to even check the oil (most basic check) and was at least 2 qt. low and 16000 miles old!

I wouldn't trust the stupid dealer for anything and pass. Even if dealer was good and smart, I would still pass. They have abused that poor car or the owner didn't care! Also too many miles for a 2020.

Find a better car or I should say find a better owner!
When I buy a used car, I first interview the owner. lol

Sorry, I'm giving you a family advice. Please ignore if you are in love with the truck. :)

Last edited:
Dealer let me take it home over night. After doing a thorough inspection in my garage, it looks like last oil change was 16,xxx miles ago.
What made you decide it was done 16,xxx miles ago?

Sticker on the windshield and the Carfax seem to indicate it was around then.
Not necessarily an accurate indicator of the last oil change. I have at times in my life alternated between doing my own oil changes vs a shop doing them. What is strange is why wouldn't the dealership at least check the oil and top it off before giving it to someone over night?

If it's clean and runs okay then I'd probably take a bet on it. Maybe use it as an excuse for a little negotiation on the price with the dealer. One 16k OCI isn't going to be the end of that engine and providing you take good care of it from here on in then it's likely it will provide good reliable service.

IMO if it was down 2 quarts that wasn't the first time it was low on oil, and not well maintained. How long is the dealer going to extend the warranty? If they even bite, and what warranty will it be? Then if the truck uses oil good luck getting them to fix it under warranty, unless it is burning a quart or more of oil in 500 miles. "It's normal to use oil between oil changes" that excuse is textbook, and will get them off the hook probably 9 out of 10 times, maybe more. Even with an extended warranty, I'd pass.

Dont use that sticker as your guide re: the last oil change...

I occasionally get dealer oil changes, and in between change it myself with Castrol Edge. What I am putting in the crankcase is way better than the bulk fill at the dealer no doubt. Yet, I do not put a sticker on the window (and half the time leave the sticker UP in the window so "I" know the last time I changed it was the mileage on the sticker), nor does it get added to any service history.

The oil was low, but are you sure it was low? On our 2020 F-150 with the 2.7l (Yes I know you have the 5.0, HOWEVER), the cylinder heads hold oil in them for the stop/start feature so there is upper engine lubrication and not dry starts. It warns of checking the oil level without letting the engine sit for a little bit for an accurate oil level. Otherwise, it will appear low and you will add oil thus overfilling it. Does the 5.0 also have the same "start-stop" feature that the other F-150's have, and did Ford redesign the oil passages to hold oil for a short while in the upper engine too?

And also the dealer couldve underfilled the oil at the last oil change and it may not necessarily be 2 quarts low due to abuse or neglect. If that engine takes 8.8 quarts as I just read on google, it happens all of the time. I would think an engine as stout and proven as the 5.0 wouldn't suffer long term damage from being 2 (out 8) quarts low.

So much for "certified pre-owned" vehicles. Part of this process is supposed to be a "thorough" inspection and service. Do they actually inspect and service the vehicle? You now know the answer to this... in many cases they don't. IMO certified pre-owned vehicles are just a way for dealers to "justify" charging a higher price for a vehicle and give buyers the "warm and fuzzies". It is also used as a way for the salesperson to try and talk you out of getting the vehicle professionally inspected prior to purchase, something that most people should ALWAYS do. Personally, I would not pay extra money to purchase a certified vehicle over an equivalent quality non-certified vehicle.

Last edited:
So much for "certified pre-owned" vehicles. Part of this process is supposed to be a "thorough" inspection and service. Do they actually inspect and service the vehicle? You now know the answer to this... in many cases they don't. IMO certified pre-owned vehicles are just a way for dealers to "justify" charging a higher price for a vehicle and give buyers the "warm and fuzzies". It is also used as a way for the salesperson to try and talk you out of getting the vehicle professionally inspected prior to purchase, something that most people should ALWAYS do. Personally, I would not pay extra money to purchase a certified vehicle over an equivalent quality non-certified vehicle.
You nailed it! Certified pre-owned vehicles was the biggest joke going when I sold cars. Words to make people feel warm and fuzzy and boost the cost of the car. LOL People would come in and specifically ask for "Certified pre-owned," the reply was simple, "we certify all our pre-owned cars."

IF the price is really that good as you said, I would go ahead and do it. The Ford factory CPO program vehicle comes with not only the 7 year or 100000 mile powertrain warranty you mentioned, but also a 12 month 12000 mile comprehensive bumper to bumper warranty. In todays crazy used and new car market you could purchase this truck and see how things actually are.

You have great coverage on it from Ford and if anything doe go wrong you could have it repaired under warranty. You could also turn around and sell it for little or no loss in this market depending on the "really good" price you got it for. I would also ask to see the 172 point inspection paperwork that is included and a part of the Ford CPO process and see how they marked the oil change and other inspections. Just make sure it is a Ford CPO vehicle and not a dealer certified pre-owned. Big difference between them and warranty coverage.

•12-month/12,000-mile Comprehensive Limited Warranty Coverage* • 7-year/100,000-mile Powertrain Limited Warranty Coverage* • 24-Hour Roadside Assistance • 172 points of inspection by certified mechanics • Vehicle History Report

Another red flag. Dealer lets a buyer take the car home overnight ... They want to get rid of it bad.

One time I wanted to buy a new car and this dealer wouldn't let me test drive. I may have said couple of f words and left. I never test drive a car for fun unless I'm sure I want the car and that's after doing lots of research ...

Back