2020 F150 3.5EB - Winter Oil

Have 5000kms on my truck. First dumped the FF at 1000kms and filled with QSUD 5W30. Didn't reset the OLM. OLM @ 65%.

Would like to go with a 0Wxx oil all winter or until OLM tells me to.

Also im running a 87 Performance tune from 5 star... its not very aggressive, but much better in overall drivability.

Im thinking M1 0W40?? I live in Toronto

Like everyone else's post on BITOG, what's your point?
My point is whatever you do doesn't really matter. Choose something and try it. You didn't say where in Canada you live and how cold it gets. These are important facts in making a decision between 0w and 5w. For the majority the difference is static (unless it gets VERY cold where you live. Also, 0w and 5w oils can be used in Arizona in the Summer.

My point is whatever you do doesn't really matter. Choose something and try it. You didn't say where in Canada you live and how cold it gets. These are important facts in making a decision between 0w and 5w. For the majority the difference is static (unless it gets VERY cold where you live. Also, 0w and 5w oils can be used in Arizona in the Summer.
He said he lives in Toronto

QSUD (QSFS today) 5W-30 is an excellent winter oil as its cold cranking numbers (3800 area) are nice and low (VERY GOOD) at -30 degrees C.

IMHO, unless you're operating your vehicle in -35 degs C or colder for days on end, there's no reason to upgrade to a 0W oil.

North of the Anchorage area, I have run QSUD 5W-30 in my Alaskan Silverado for several winters now. It's outside all the time and does fantastic on it.

If you don't like QSUD, the mentioned Mobil 1 0W-40 would likely work for you.

Last edited:
I ran PP 5w30 in my 2018 3.5EB F150 last year and will be again this year since I got a bunch on sale at Crappy tire during their Black Friday deals. It has great cold crank numbers as well. In fact we dipped down to -41c for a day last year and my truck didn't miss a beat. We don't usually get winters like that here in central British Columbia. Certainly haven't gotten a long term cold spell like that either. Most of the time we're WELL within the 5w rating.

Neil

Back