2020 F150 3.5EB First oil change.. pick my oil

I have a brand new 2020 F150 Lariat Supercrew 3.5EB. As soon as i picked her up, i leveled it with Bilstein 5100s added Fuel Blitz wheels and 285 60 20 K02s....

On all my vehicles that i buy new, i am one that likes to dump the factory fill... I do it at just over 2000kms. Have had never any problems. My S2000, known for burning oil when driven hard, doesn't burn anything and my previous 2018 3.5EB F150'S UOAs were excellent.

So now the fun part of picking a new oil for a new engine. I will run this until my OLM reaches 40%... then all the rest of my subsequent oil changes will remain at 40%
Currently on my shelf
PPUP 5W30
QSUD 5W30
M1 AFE 0W30
Shell Gas Truck 5W30

Now to add to the mix, I really like 5 Star tunes, my 2018 was tuned from new all the way to when i traded in at 60,000kms... it was bulletproof and flawless.

this truck will be tuned soon, it Currently has 1000kms and i will flash the tune after this next oil change... i will still however drive conservatively until about 5000kms or so...

So... pick the oil from my list for its 2000kms oil change... Im in Toronto.... its summer now, i will guess it will stay in the sump until mid winter...let me know which oil why... 👌👍😁

IMG_20200729_191503_390.jpg

Reactions: JC1
Nice truck! Since it will be tuned soon, I know these aren't on your shelf, but I'd run either ESP 5W30 or 0W40 in it. Most likely the 0W40.

Im a fan of the M1 0W40 FS.... I use it in my Q50 3.7... however its not SN+... any concerns for LSPI?

Castrol Edge. Least viscosity loss of any API SN+ / GF-5 5W-30 in that Engine.

Of what's on the shelf:
PUP - I guess. Not really any huge preference in the Shell choices. I prefer the Shell choices over the AFE in that application.

Personally, due to that engine’s high power output and being turbo, and due to the fact that you’ll tune it for more output, I’d go with a 40W, or, if you go 5W-30 or 0W-30, pick one with HTHS of 3.5 or higher.

Some of my top picks would be:

Delvac 5W-40, especially for summer
M1 ESP 0/5W-30
Pennzoil Euro LX 0W-30

Even a thicker, off-the-shelf 10W-30 with very low amounts of VM/VII would probably be good.

Nice truck. Just run whatever you have on hand. Did you get some good incentives?

yes very good... i ordered in March before the pandemic hit... then it arrived this month and i retained the discount i negotiated plus got zero interest rate ... got the exact truck i wanted, my discount and then zero percent... doesn't get any better

Reactions: JC1
If you want a -40 weight that is SN+ rated, only one I am aware of is Chevron Delo CK4 5w-40. There is another member of this forum who has used it in his 3.5 Ecoboost with good results. All the others mentioned tho good oils, are not SN+ rated, something I would be concerned about wrt LSPI in the twin turbo motor.

I've been using Mobil 1 5w-30 EP since dumping the factory fill in mine for 12000 miles so far. Keeping to roughly 5k mile OCI's on this motor.

If you want a -40 weight that is SN+ rated, only one I am aware of is Chevron Delo CK4 5w-40. There is another member of this forum who has used it in his 3.5 Ecoboost with good results. All the others mentioned tho good oils, are not SN+ rated, something I would be concerned about wrt LSPI in the twin turbo motor.

I've been using Mobil 1 5w-30 EP since dumping the factory fill in mine for 12000 miles so far. Keeping to roughly 5k mile OCI's on this motor.

I would think the VW 504.00 / 507.00 (2020) Oils like M1 ESP take that into consideration. I've been wrong before.

We have discussed before that better ways to control LSPI than calcium reduction exist but unfortunately API ILSAC rules forced that solution.

Chevron Delo 600 ADF is CK-4 only I think.
Of course it's a blend. At 0.4% SA I'm curious.

Last edited:
The only Gen 1 3.5EB with 300,000 miles on the original timing chains and turbos that consistently used the same oil that I'm aware of used MC Blend and 10,000 mi OCI.

The Gen 2 hasn't really got a track record yet.

I've been told if you have LSPI you will know it. It's a loud boom like a 5 lb hammer more than the rocks in a can sound and very distinctive. Luckily I have never experienced such a sound and none of my 3.5EB buddies have either.

Either Rotella GT or QSUD 5W-30 would be my choice. BTW, both oils do well in the cold of Alaska.

Have it analyzed at 5000 km. Then analyze every two or three changes after that. Change the oil NLT every 6500 km in its life.

Nice truck!

Last edited:
Back