2020 CRV 1.5 TGDI oil

I have read for hours and days about the fuel dilution and the Honda 1.5. Back in 2018 I was gonna buy a new CRV but did not because of it. I just bought a 2020 because I search owner sites and the web that said it is straightened out on the 2020 models. I must admit it is still in the back of my mind along with the lightweight 0w/20 recommended US oil. (CAFE standards). I posted on the CRV pages about using different viscosity oil because on non US models the chart says you can. People crucify me saying the engine NEEDS 0/20 and it will void my warranty blah blah. The non USA chart says you can use different viscosity's. It is the same exact engine just not in the US. I am just looking at the best protection for the engine for longevity. Was thinking of 0/30 or 5/30. Even Hyundai put out a TSB that even though 5/30 is recommended in their TGDI engines, 5/40 is better for maximum engine protection. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 117118023_10223629098050996_1397387812730969829_o.jpg
    117118023_10223629098050996_1397387812730969829_o.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 304
  • 117174787_10223629966192699_2170328752885101248_n.jpg
    117174787_10223629966192699_2170328752885101248_n.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 298
I would start off using something like Mobil 1 EP 0w20 (it has a nice rebate) and if you are concerned just prepare to send off an oil sample in the future to a place like Oil Analyzers to get an estimate for fuel dilution.

"I am just looking at the best protection for the engine for longevity"

I have seen this alot... and i dont think i have ever seen proof that 0w20 has reduced engine life. I think there is a guy on here with close to 300K in an older Fusion that posts stellar reports.

With that being said.. your vehicle may shear oil, or dilute many times worse than his... so its an unknown of what oil is best for your engine at the moment...heck its not even broken in yet.

I do get a chuckle thinking about the conversations one would have with one of the "My Car Needs 0w20" Karens.

I am waiting for the post "I took my car to Jiffy Lube and they put in 5w30, my car only runs on 0w20...will it blow up? Should I sue them"... lol.

Enjoy your new ride, break it in.. keep reading. Trust the manufacturer for now.

And yea if it were mine i would run 5w30 after break in... lol.

I have read for hours and days about the fuel dilution and the Honda 1.5. Back in 2018 I was gonna buy a new CRV but did not because of it. I just bought a 2020 because I search owner sites and the web that said it is straightened out on the 2020 models. I must admit it is still in the back of my mind along with the lightweight 0w/20 recommended US oil. (CAFE standards). I posted on the CRV pages about using different viscosity oil because on non US models the chart says you can. People crucify me saying the engine NEEDS 0/20 and it will void my warranty blah blah. The non USA chart says you can use different viscosity's. It is the same exact engine just not in the US. I am just looking at the best protection for the engine for longevity. Was thinking of 0/30 or 5/30. Even Hyundai put out a TSB that even though 5/30 is recommended in their TGDI engines, 5/40 is better for maximum engine protection. Thoughts?
That's a VERY interesting chart. As you can see I use 10W30 in my 0W20 usdm spec Accord. I did a uoa which showed zero ppm wear metals.

Honestly, I like the theory some have with altering oil viscosities as engines age with mileage.

I’d run the 0w20 at least until it was out of warranty and I wouldn’t worry about it one single bit, in terms of protection, etc.

Then I might consider going to a 5w30 when it’s at or above 100,000 miles and you’ve done some research on how others have done switching to the 5w30.

Honda and Toyota (among others) seem to have done really well with the 0w20. Heck, I owned a full dive GM 4x4 V8 pickup that ran 0w20. Didn’t really have a problem with it - it did use some oil - but I think that had more to do with the combination of cylinder deactivation and direct injection. A lot if guys on the forums still ran the 0w20...some went to 5w30, but most were still using the 0w20. It’s pretty “normal” nowadays to run 0w20. Now 0w16??? Yeah, that will be another 10-15 years of debates here on bob is the oil guy. Lol

run 0/5 30 weight and don't look back. Your oil will still be diluted with fuel and viscosity will drop in 20 range which is what the engine supposedly designed for. I'm running 5w30 in my 1.5T civic for over 30k now

One thing I also want to add is I am not the guy that stretches out their oil change. Oil and filter are a cheap insurance policy and I always use synthetic and change around 4K miles. I do not care about "wasting" money. Oil change is $27.00

One thing I also want to add is I am not the guy that stretches out their oil change. Oil and filter are a cheap insurance policy and I always use synthetic and change around 4K miles. I do not care about "wasting" money. Oil change is $27.00

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise either. I have a Hyundai GDI engine that has a reputation for being very hard on oil with a lot of soot contamination and fuel dilution. In the past I usually went 5000 miles between oil changes but I think I have seen enough evidence to convince me that Hyundai's recommended severe service 3750 OCI is what I should be doing.

I know a lot of Subaru TGDI owners that have followed the 3000 mile severe service recommendation instead of the standard 6000 mile OCI, all with positive results.

The more I read the more my OCD is kicking in. Alot of people here with the Honda 1.5 seem to be either running 5/30 or actually running a mix of 0/20 and 5/30. Winter - 75% 0w/20, 25% 5w/30. Summer - 75% 5w/30, 25% 0w/20. Interesting

I'm one of the lucky owners of a 2017 CR-V 1.5L, so I know your concern. At least you did your research prior to buying earlier because I wish I would of. I would of definitely gone with something else, though engine aside the CR-V is a pretty awesome family car.

Anyway, I've run Amsoil SS 0w-30 for a majority of it's life, along with premium gas, and changing the engine air filter every 10k miles. There was a post that I read that said do those things to help and I just stuck with it. I followed the cars OCI reminders, usually 7000-8000 miles, and I felt comfy with the 0w-30 in there being able to do that. My most recent change I went with High Performance Lubricants 0w-20. I'm a sucker for boutique oils and just wanted to give it a go. I'm only going to leave it in for 3,000-4,000 miles, do an oil analysis, and see what the much more oil educated people here say I should do. Crossing fingers I don't have much dilution, but is what it is. I'll run this car to the ground till I buy a new one.

I'm one of the lucky owners of a 2017 CR-V 1.5L, so I know your concern. At least you did your research prior to buying earlier because I wish I would of. I would of definitely gone with something else, though engine aside the CR-V is a pretty awesome family car.

Anyway, I've run Amsoil SS 0w-30 for a majority of it's life, along with premium gas, and changing the engine air filter every 10k miles. There was a post that I read that said do those things to help and I just stuck with it. I followed the cars OCI reminders, usually 7000-8000 miles, and I felt comfy with the 0w-30 in there being able to do that. My most recent change I went with High Performance Lubricants 0w-20. I'm a sucker for boutique oils and just wanted to give it a go. I'm only going to leave it in for 3,000-4,000 miles, do an oil analysis, and see what the much more oil educated people here say I should do. Crossing fingers I don't have much dilution, but is what it is. I'll run this car to the ground till I buy a new one.
How does premium gas help? Wouldn't that just dilute the oil with fuel that costs 60 cents more per gallon?

How does premium gas help? Wouldn't that just dilute the oil with fuel that costs 60 cents more per gallon?
I honestly don't have the answer for that, just what I've read. The post I read had an explanation but I don't remember it. For all I know it could be a waste of money, but I'll found out when I do the oil analysis.

I've ran premium for 3 OCI and all 3 came back with way lower FD numbers as well as viscosity held up much better (less dilution - higher viscosity). Back to regular now after another 20% pay cut

That's good to know, but also bummer about the pay cut.
Paycut is becoming a new norm - 4th one in 2 years. Oil and gas is not the industry you wanna be in lately.
back to the topic, go with regular gas, run 5 or 0 w 30 (depending on the zone you’re in) and enjoy that CRV, hope it will serve you Well

Unless the 0w30 or the 5w30 are both shear stable, I'd rather use a 0w20 or 5w20. Less VII's. Mobil 1 EP 0w20 is majority PAO. I'd use that. A 10w30 would be not a bad choice either, if it is ok to use that.

Among the boutique brands, Red Line 20 grade or Driven 20 grade would be nice options.

Use Top Tier VALERO 90 non E most of the time for the '18 Accent . I'll pay the extra . Not going to break the bank .

Use 0W20. You bought the CR-V so obviously you trust Honda and their products. Why don't trust the oil they chose to run in the CR-V?

If you don't trust their recommended maintenance, sell the car and get something else. You're going to drive yourself crazy overthinking the maintenance of this vehicle. I can't wait to see when the codes pop up to replace the transmission fluid, transfer case, etc............

Back