2020 Accord 2.0T UOA / 2100 miles / Quaker State FS 0W20

Hello all I just did my first UOA on my 2020 Honda Accord 2.0T using Quaker State Full Synthetic 0W20. The car is modified and sees track days which is why I changed the oil after just over 2000 miles. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Attachments

• 71A30DA7-8ACA-4C98-977D-6185698FDF86.jpeg
    71A30DA7-8ACA-4C98-977D-6185698FDF86.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 664
Thanks! The viscosity is my main concern QS FS 0W20 is listed at 8.33 and mine was 6.6 after just 2100 miles! I think I’ll be switching to 5w30.
Where did the MM say you were?

Im curious to see how many of these UOAs out there where the guy went the distance the MM suggested.

Where did the MM say you were?

Im curious to see how many of these UOAs out there where the guy went the distance the MM suggested.
I recall it saying around 80% maybe 70%. I never go based off of that because my car is driven harder than most other Accords that is. The MM is just a general gauge and shouldn’t be the only factor when doing an oil change.

I recall it saying around 80% maybe 70%. I never go based off of that because my car is driven harder than most other Accords that is. The MM is just a general gauge and shouldn’t be the only factor when doing an oil change.

Actually the MM is a highly tuned piece of code with a variety of input penalties including " hard driving" which if I recall has about a 2.4X degradation factor applied.

I wholly recommend you investigate it at minimum, there is a ton of knowledge in it. Its pasted here elsewhere.

Actually the MM is a highly tuned piece of code with a variety of input penalties including " hard driving" which if I recall has about a 2.4X degradation factor applied.

I wholly recommend you investigate it at minimum, there is a ton of knowledge in it. Its pasted here elsewhere.
Thanks for the info I didn’t realize it was that sophisticated now I thought it was just a “general” rule of thumb to go by.

Noticed QSFS was still $23 at Walmart - hard to walk past but my shelves are stocked …

You should be measuring fuel dilution with these engines, and your report is missing it. Given your drop of viscosity, its most likely diluted. I had similar experience with this engine and mine was highway miles mostly. Shorter OCI and/or 5w30 is the way to go with Honda 2.0t. Use cheapest oil, all the fancy oils will do nothing for fuel dilution

You should be measuring fuel dilution with these engines, and your report is missing it. Given your drop of viscosity, its most likely diluted. I had similar experience with this engine and mine was highway miles mostly. Shorter OCI and/or 5w30 is the way to go with Honda 2.0t. Use cheapest oil, all the fancy oils will do nothing for fuel dilution
With the wear metals being so low would it be wise to just keep using 0w20 and just changing it every 2000-3000 miles and after each track day ? I’m going to do a fuel dilution test next go around and see what it’s at.

With the wear metals being so low would it be wise to just keep using 0w20 and just changing it every 2000-3000 miles and after each track day ? I’m going to do a fuel dilution test next go around and see what it’s at.

Take a look at my report https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/mobil-1-0w-20-ep-7-4k-mil-acura-rdx-2020.359165/

My iron was a bit high, but I had 7400miles on it, the wear metals do increase with longer OCI. No racing, just easy highway mostly.

If you going to measure fuel dilution, use Polaris lab as they are more accurate for fuel dilution.

Since your viscosity dropped so much at such a short milage, one grade up should help a bit.

Did you switch to 5w30? How has it been?
I have a 2022 on ktuner stage 2 but I don't race, just 90% highway driving.

Did you switch to 5w30? How has it been?
I have a 2022 on ktuner stage 2 but I don't race, just 90% highway driving.
I’m waiting for the weather to warm up then it’ll get 5w30. For cold winters I still prefer using 0w20.

I’m waiting for the weather to warm up then it’ll get 5w30. For cold winters I still prefer using 0w20.
My Blackstone Labs report came with a pretty (bad) result after the Honda 0W20 change. After 2000 miles I had stupid high fuel dilution for a new engine with less than 10,000 mi. I switched a 5W30 immediately during the winter and have yet to have any kind of serious problems. But then again my winter rarely reaches below zero C. It's been consistently over 50° every single night for the past two weeks in the middle of February.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all I just did my first UOA on my 2020 Honda Accord 2.0T using Quaker State Full Synthetic 0W20. The car is modified and sees track days which is why I changed the oil after just over 2000 miles. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.
No TBN, fuel dilution or flashpoint?

My Blackstone Labs report came with a pretty (bad) result after the Honda 0W20 change. After 2000 miles I had stupid high fuel dilution for a new engine with less than 10,000 mi. I switched a 5W30 immediately during the winter and have yet to have any kind of serious problems. But then again my winter rarely reaches below zero C. It's been consistently over 50° every single night for the past two weeks in the middle of February.
Can you upload a capture of the full analysis. Curious to see how it’s looking. Thanks. I will use rat 540 suggestion of Quaker State 5w30 next time. I also installed an oil catch can which is a must for direct injection motors.

I didn’t realize that company didn’t test it so I’ll use blackstone labs next time I send in a sample.
Wix Test kits cost less and you can find discounted kits on RockAuto some times I got mine there for less than$10 a kit. Oh and Wix does not charge extra for TBN as Blackstone does!

Back