2020/2021 Nissan Sentra's CVT?

Hi,

I was wondering if the current generation Nissan Sentra still have the major issue with their CVT? Are they still using JATCO and if so, has it been improved in the 2020/2021 total redesign? I read all the internet horrible stories at Nissan's JATCO CVT issues and just wondering if some stories are a bit exaggerated. Practically all the online reviews of the new Sentra are all positive.

I really love the new redesign and the interior materials appear to be MUCH improved.

Thanks.

Nissan owns most of Jatco, so they will use them for CVT or Autos. The newest CVT are - we hope - using knowledge gained from past mistakes.

Take comfort that Nissan cracked the whip on Jatco a few years ago to get their warranty claims down, so I think you'd be okay. Do pre-emptive fluid and filter changes on the CVT and sleep well.

Last week I told of a Rogue 2017 I believe that had near 190K miles on it with no service at all to the trans.
I rode in it and I haven't been part of the club since a 82 Datsun pick Up.
Not bashing but my families Chevy trucks are averaging 70-100K before trans issues
The 100K one was never towed with- a 1500 5.3L

So I could handle 190K easy enough

I've heard good and bad, but I do have a friend who has a rear-wheel JATCO and they seem to have done better than the front wheel CVTs.

Consumers Reports recommends and has positive things to say about the redesigned Sentra.
Despite all the negative things I and others say about vehicles, get the one you like after taking into account the factors that matter to you.
I guarantee you the steering feel will be better with the latest Sentra than the Elantra you have. Nissan uses a dual pinion rand & pinion.
Plus the new Sentra uses an independent rear suspension.

Consumers Reports recommends and has positive things to say about the redesigned Sentra.
Despite all the negative things I and others say about vehicles, get the one you like after taking into account the factors that matter to you.
I guarantee you the steering feel will be better with the latest Sentra than the Elantra you have. Nissan uses a dual pinion rand & pinion.
Plus the new Sentra uses an independent rear suspension.
I like the Sentra for an inexpensive every day driver. I looked at them tonight. What confuses me is I dont see much reason to buy a Altima or
the Maxima because the Sentra is about the same size now.

Oh ok I see what you are saying now. Yes the driving experience is better than reliability. But I also want to get where I’m going with no issues too. 🙂.
You know they all have issues and honestly people drive like fruitcakes and most do no maintenance.
I used to get an automotive repair trade magazine and the king of reliability Toyota had tons of issues.
Most of the pages were about fixing their screw ups which they just recently had bad engines.

No better I’m sure. I don’t care if they improved it 100% I wouldn’t buy it just because of the past issues they have had.
Not to be a jerk but you are too young to remember when Honda was junk and most others. It took the Japanese decades to perfect a basic paint job. You would never own anything if you based a purchase off of a companies past efforts.

Not to be a jerk but you are too young to remember when Honda was junk and most others. It took the Japanese decades to perfect a basic paint job. You would never own anything if you based a purchase off of a companies past efforts.
I know my dad told me. It used to be domestic was the only way to go.

And spending way too much doesn't mean you are getting a more reliable vehicle.
I bought a first year Acura Legend after owning the first Integra and then a second one. Great cars.
The Legend ended up being a fiasco. Was the 5 spd manual model.
Haha I have always liked those cars Jim.

My Integra LS. 1986 was a solid little car.
My coworker traded his Acura Legend 1988 model I think for a beat up 1997 Honda Civic. We all told him he was crazy then he blew up the clutch in the civic because he couldn’t drive a manual. And got a big ticket for displaying an antique plate on it too that was registered to his other car.

Back