2019 Volkswagen GLI (2.0 T) - Dipstick Question

Hi everyone,
I have a quick question about the oil dipstick on my 2019 VW GLI with the 2.0 engine. The oil capacity of the engine is six quarts with a new filter cartridge. The strange thing with this engine is that when it is filled to full capacity with six quarts of oil it never registers full on the dipstick. The oil level only comes to the middle of the crosshatch area on the dipstick. Is this a common occurrence with this engine? Is it something to worry about?

Thank you!

100% normal. On a cold engine it rises to the full line but when checking per manual, you are correct, half way up is 👌

100% normal. On a cold engine it rises to the full line but when checking per manual, you are correct, half way up is 👌
Interesting, I have noted on a cold engine the same area on the dipstick. I have never owned a car that didn't properly register on the dipstick.

My guess is this is normal for the 2.0 TSI Budack engines. Our Tiguan is exactly the same. It appears to be 1/2 quart low with a cold engine. Either we have gotten the wrong dipstick or VW didn’t figure the oil capacity correctly. I’m inclined to believe that we’ve gotten the wrong dipstick.

My guess is this is normal for the 2.0 TSI Budack engines. Our Tiguan is exactly the same. It appears to be 1/2 quart low with a cold engine. Either we have gotten the wrong dipstick or VW didn’t figure the oil capacity correctly. I’m inclined to believe that we’ve gotten the wrong dipstick.

I don't have the Budack in my 2019 GLI. But I agree that VW probably just installed the incorrect dipsticks.

Why is the “middle of the dipstick” the wrong level ?

that’s typically the safe area you can go higher but oil also expands a bit when it warms think auto transmission level checking.

I have a 2019 GLI too it calls for 6. I just dump 6 in and close the hood. I’m not one that adds oz at a time to get to a certain level that I think it needs to be. But I do this for a living so maybe I just have faith in (calls for 6 it got 6)

MattPersman
My owners manual calls for 5.7 liters or 6 quarts. I put in 6 quarts. The oil on the dipstick should be at the top hash mark when cold.

Anywhere in the crosshatch area is "correct", you are way overthinking this. On my Tiguan I noticed the same thing, when I changed out the oil 6 quarts took it to midway as you note. I added a bit more and it is now at the top. So far it hasn't grenaded nor left us stranded. Either put some more in if that makes you feel better (like it did for me) or just leave it as-is. There is no wrong answer between the two.

Hi everyone,
I have a quick question about the oil dipstick on my 2019 VW GLI with the 2.0 engine. The oil capacity of the engine is six quarts with a new filter cartridge. The strange thing with this engine is that when it is filled to full capacity with six quarts of oil it never registers full on the dipstick. The oil level only comes to the middle of the crosshatch area on the dipstick. Is this a common occurrence with this engine? Is it something to worry about?

Thank you!

That is exactly where VW wants the oil level on the stick, it is not under filled or overfilled. It is not the wrong dipstick or marked improperly, there is no need to add oil. 2015 VW Beetle R spec is the same.

VW oil.jpg

Since we're on this subject, can I just say I LOATHE the VW dipsticks? The hatching is barely visible and it smears whenever you try to get an accurate oil reading. Seriously VW, just put two holes (one for max and min) on it and call it good. I don't understand why it went from "check oil cold" to "check the oil when it's warm, but not too warm, and we won't tell you what that means either". The manual says to check it when the engine is up to operating temperature. Does that mean coolant is at temperature, or oil? VW needs to be more specific instead of the "cover your a$$" writing.

Since we're on this subject, can I just say I LOATHE the VW dipsticks? The hatching is barely visible and it smears whenever you try to get an accurate oil reading. Seriously VW, just put two holes (one for max and min) on it and call it good. I don't understand why it went from "check oil cold" to "check the oil when it's warm, but not too warm, and we won't tell you what that means either". The manual says to check it when the engine is up to operating temperature. Does that mean coolant is at temperature, or oil? VW needs to be more specific instead of the "cover your a$$" writing.

Operating temperature seems fairly straightforward considering 90+% of vehicles on the road do not have an oil temp gauge but the vast majority do have a coolant temp gauge. Most laypeople who don't know any better and may need to actually read a manual to check oil are only going to go by the gauge they can see.

Operating temperature seems fairly straightforward considering 90+% of vehicles on the road do not have an oil temp gauge but the vast majority do have a coolant temp gauge. Most laypeople who don't know any better and may need to actually read a manual to check oil are only going to go by the gauge they can see.
Still though. If you're like me, or other users on BITOG, who overthink all the ambiguous statements, some specificity from the manufacturer would be nice. I get what you're saying though. I typically will let the vehicle idle for 3 minutes then shut off and check.

The 2015 VW 2.0 TDI will alarm at the top of the crosshatch and at the bottom of the crosshatch. Too high and too low. Smack in the middle of the crosshatch when cold is where you want the level.

Obviously you do not own Toyota.
Not only that I have to check oil ONLY when cold (bcs. war, it is splattered all over dipstick) but when oil has up to 3-4,000 miles I have to chase proper lighting to see it.

Back