2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro Tow Test

Originally Posted by 02SE
Have they determined why the Colorado's and Canyon's are blowing their airbags for no apparent reason, and applied a fix?

Another BITOG rerun here, ZR2 airbags. I haven't seen more than a few cases of that. Maybe they have Takada airbags like Japanese cars? If i didn't have to fit carseat(s) i would have purchased a ZR2 instead of a Sierra, because they are sweet!

I've heard from friends and former colleagues who still work in consumer automotive repair, some at GM dealers, that it has been a too common issue. I guess I'll just ask them what the latest scoop is.

Originally Posted by buster
Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
I just drove a Colorado Z71 that felt much more refined than the Taco. Also way more powerful. Not sure how good the 8 speed auto will be long term, although I heard GM fixed it with new fluid.

I honestly still prefer the 03 Dakota with the V8 and manual transmission. It has great power, and sounds amazing. Fingers crossed Ram offers a Hemi in the 2021 Dakota.

I liked the Z71 better than the Tacoma as well but the transmission was a concern of mine.

This one was a 2020 - no complaints with the transmission. Both in auto and manual mode it worked smoothly and didn't have any clunks, hunting, etc.

Longevity can't be commented on, but hopefully the new fluid helps push these to 150k+.

I agree. I read on another forum a comment from a retired GM engineer that said it's just a bad transmission. It appears to occur in about 25% of them.

We have a family member that bought a new Colorado in 2018. Sitting at 30k and just had to take it in for the second time for transmission issues. He's dumping it as soon as the powertrain warranty is up for a Tacoma or Frontier.

Originally Posted by fisher83
We have a family member that bought a new Colorado in 2018. Sitting at 30k and just had to take it in for the second time for transmission issues. He's dumping it as soon as the powertrain warranty is up for a Tacoma or Frontier.

A shame, because otherwise they are great trucks.

^agree. I really liked the GM the best in terms of looks and how it drove. Frontier was close 2nd but had proven reliability.

Drive the Pro-4x and compare it to the SV. 4x rides better. You can get them for $31k new.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
Originally Posted by Delta
Do you have the 4.0? I read a lot of Taco guys preferred the 4.0 to the 3.5 for towing due to the torque that the 4.0 has down low. I found the 3.5 to have more power down low than I thought it would.

I think the Toyota fanboy's just prefer the old engine due to no direct injection, emissions pump, etc. I feel the 4.0 is a DOG compared to the 3.5. It will get going (the 4.0), but you gotta really lay into it. Don't even think about passing anybody quickly with the AC on. Don't get me wrong it'll get moving, but it's not the magical engine everybody claims it is. It's noisy, shaky, and a total PITA to work on in some areas.

I have to agree on the 4.0 vs 3.5 as I compare my wifes sienna 07 3.5 to my 4.0. Just touch the gas pedal and that big ole van moves. Probably better for my gas mileage for me that I don't have that engine or I would be "in it" much more often that I am now.
smile.gif

I test drove the 2019 4Runner with the 4.0 multiple times and was pretty disappointed all around. Now I drive the 3.5 and I really like this engine - smooth, efficient and enough power. If I have any gripes it with the 8-speed and not the engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by danez_yoda
Originally Posted by Delta
Do you have the 4.0? I read a lot of Taco guys preferred the 4.0 to the 3.5 for towing due to the torque that the 4.0 has down low. I found the 3.5 to have more power down low than I thought it would.

I think the Toyota fanboy's just prefer the old engine due to no direct injection, emissions pump, etc. I feel the 4.0 is a DOG compared to the 3.5. It will get going (the 4.0), but you gotta really lay into it. Don't even think about passing anybody quickly with the AC on. Don't get me wrong it'll get moving, but it's not the magical engine everybody claims it is. It's noisy, shaky, and a total PITA to work on in some areas.

I have to agree on the 4.0 vs 3.5 as I compare my wifes sienna 07 3.5 to my 4.0. Just touch the gas pedal and that big ole van moves. Probably better for my gas mileage for me that I don't have that engine or I would be "in it" much more often that I am now.
smile.gif

I test drove the 2019 4Runner with the 4.0 multiple times and was pretty disappointed all around. Now I drive the 3.5 and I really like this engine - smooth, efficient and enough power. If I have any gripes it with the 8-speed and not the engine.
The 3.5 in the Tacoma has a 6speed auto. If you’re talking about the 3.5 in a different Toyota model with the 8 speed, I wouldn’t compare the two engines. The Tacoma 3.5 is tuned differently.

Last edited:
I have a 2500HD with the 6L90 and 6.0 and, for the most part, I have accepted that modern automatics are the way to go for most users, towing included.

That said, every now and again I’ll want to downshift in slick conditions going downhill, and under those circumstances I still kinda miss having a manual. Under those conditions it is possible to downshift an automatic and have the tires slip due to the engine braking, but with a manual trans you can match the engine RPM’s and slip the clutch a bit to prevent that from happening.

Back