2019 Toyota Highlander

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have one of these or know anyone who does? What are your thoughts on it? Are these still the 8 speed transmissions and did they truly fix whatever the problems were in previous models?

Looking for something that can realistically last 10 years. Are their older models that would be worth considering that could likely be more reliable? Also, what other type of car would you consider that's comparable to this by another manufacturer (new or otherwise).

Thanks.

My only concern would be the 8 speed. The only way to avoid the 8 speed is to get the base model, which you may not want to do. The other update after 2017 was to add direct injection to the 3.5L V6, but I haven't heard any issues with that engine.

My wife had a 2010 Highlander Limited that gave her 210,000 problem free miles. The only fix outside of regular maintenance was the drivers window came out of the track. She replaced it with a 2016 Highlander Limited (6 speed) which has given her 80,000 trouble free miles so far.

I'm sure the Highlander will be a wonderful vehicle even with the quirks that the new 8 spd auto has. The only issues I have read about in the 8 spd tranny is its programming. Maybe there is an update/reflash for the lack of response with this tranny as Lexus doesn't seem to have the issue. Or the issue isn't wide spread across the Toy/Lex brands.

Are the 8 speeds truly bad, or just bad at shifting? Usually Toyota transmissions are good for the long haul, behavior notwithstanding.

Not sure what else competes with this. Drive 'em all, they're all likely to go 200k, albeit with a repair or two of some sort.

I think the 8-speed just shifts erratically. The transmission itself is not unreliable.

I would purchase the hybrid version if you only plan to keep for ten years. Minimal price difference, better fuel economy and better acceleration. The hybrid doesn't use the same 8-spd trans and the fluid is much easier to service. The hybrid will also be significantly easier on brakes; most of the heavier SUV's need brakes frequently and the hybrid's regenerative braking will reduce this need tremendously.

Originally Posted by Darkfire
Looking for something that can realistically last 10 years.

?? Except for the worst of the worst, any vehicle made in the last 50 years will last more than ten. Heck the average vehicle on the road today is older than that, with most vehicles not on the road any longer, being retired due to collision accidents totaling them, not "last"(ing) factors. But, you must properly maintain any of them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave9

?? Except for the worst of the worst, any vehicle made in the last 50 years will last more than ten. Heck the average vehicle on the road today is older than that, with most vehicles not on the road any longer, being retired due to collision accidents totaling them, not "last"(ing) factors. But, you must properly maintain any of them.

They can last that long but may cost significant $ in repairs to get there. Some people are lucky, others are not. It doesn't just have to do with maintenance. Have you spent any time recently working in a shop?

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Originally Posted by Dave9

They can last that long but may cost significant $ in repairs to get there. Some people are lucky, others are not. It doesn't just have to do with maintenance. Have you spent any time recently working in a shop?

Yep, here was my example:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-p034062-cam-adjuster-repair#Post5154344
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...gh-pressure-fuel-pump-repair#Post5159219

Anyone have one of these or know anyone who does? What are your thoughts on it? Are these still the 8 speed transmissions and did they truly fix whatever the problems were in previous models?

Looking for something that can realistically last 10 years. Are their older models that would be worth considering that could likely be more reliable? Also, what other type of car would you consider that's comparable to this by another manufacturer (new or otherwise).

Thanks.

Issues with 8 speed some more problematic than Toyota is willing to acknowledge. First of all, this is only on AWD models, so people who do not have issues on Avalon etc. do not count.
Some people had issue resolved with simple programming, others like my best man have been 30+ time in dealership and still has issue (2018). On top of that, VW announced that they also have issues on VW Tiguan 4Motion that has same transmission (2018-2020 models). Why not Atlas 4Motion, do not know, but would not be surprised.
When I was on the market for minivan, I had a chance to snatch very good 2018 Toyota Sienna AWD with same tranny. However, I purposely went with 2015 and 6 speed precisely bcs. of this transmission.

I recall StevieC had a less than favourable opinion of this transmission and I believe that was his primary reason for getting rid of the Highlander.

My son has either a 2018 or 2019. So far his only complaint was gas mileage around 22 or 23, but that was on winter gas and a new engine, I'm guessing it should be better now. He also mentioned with all the new safety features his 2017 Forester seems to respond better then the highlander. Not sure which safety features and how they compare my newest car is a 09 so I haven't really studied all the new features.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I recall StevieC had a less than favourable opinion of this transmission and I believe that was his primary reason for getting rid of the Highlander.

He didn't care for the way it's programmed. He changed the atf over to Amsoil which helped for a short bit. Then it back to it's normal self. So a good test drive is recommended before buying one. I remember the 6 speed auto in the Camry feeling funny compared to the 4 speed auto in the Matrix.

We picked up a 19 LE V6 about 3 months ago. I will admit that the transmission takes a little getting used to. The first gear is very low and can be a little jerky when approaching a redlight that then turns green and your only going maybe 25mph as the transmission figures out what gear it wants. Other than that the shifts are very smooth and responsive.

Mpg has been around 23 in mixed driving according to computer.

Other things I am not fond of is the second row rattles when the car seats are in them. Did not notice that on the test drive. The arm rest could be a little taller on the front doors as well.

Car has been a good upgrade over the 14' CRV we had. More space, super quiet, very smooth ride, lots of power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back