2019 Toyota Highlander LOTS of metal flakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't worry about it at least for the first few oil changes. Put some miles on it an monitor. Give it till 20K. Your still under warranty and it doesn't get better take it in.

I changed my ff in my 2018 Taurus and didn't see any metal. Even inside the filtet. I feel like something is wrong with his engine. Maybe time and rpms will tell.

Originally Posted by 2KBMW
To me it looks like left over particles from the machining process.
Change out the oil and filter again after 1000 mi and see how it looks.

Totally agree with this. What i see in your oil catch pan looks just like any new car I've changed oil on. The filter housing looks a little scary but I've never changed oil on a new car with one of those.

Change it again fairly soon and see if it's the same. If so then it may be time to worry.

Originally Posted by Oro_O
Originally Posted by edyvw
I would do dealer oil changes for few times. Just in case if this continues and you need to deal with warranty stuff. You want to give them as little excuse as possible.

Which is valid if the car in question is under warranty and made before, oh, 1975.

At some point, this nonsense type of advice has to end.

Magnuson-Moss, here's a simple primer:

http://knowhow.napaonline.com/the-m...hat-to-know-about-the-federal-lemon-law/

LOL, I am very well aware of MM.
However, based on experience of my best man with 2018 HL and 8 speed transmission, I can tell you that Toyota is going to fight tooth and nail not to honor warranty.
He can go MM route, which will take time, nerves etc. or he can just let Toyota record all maintenance items so that at least they cannot raise oil changes as reason.
My best man after 30+ visits to Toyota dealership still drives car with POS transmission. But they told him he can trade in car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav
This is the reason I have been an advocate of getting the factory fill out early, you really don't need or want that crap roaming around inside the engine for 10K or even 5K.
While it is true some engines produce fewer particles than others you don't know until its drained.

Truer words could not have been spoken. Good thing OP changed the oil early and didn't subscribe to "Toyota knows best" type of thinking.

I also agree with others to let the dealer perform oil changes for warranty purposes, but then OP will not be able to monitor if this increases, decreases or stays the same.

Since Toyota recommends 10k OCIs, I would perform an oil change myself at 5k, then let the dealer do it at 10k and so forth. This way OP can examine the old oil properly and have proper OCIs documented at the dealer.

This would me my course of action.

Last edited:
Like others said, that was likely all settled in the pan, If that much debris was in repeated circulation past the filter, the engine would be gasping and wheezing, audibly and visibly. At the very worst, the oil pump got some scoring, but a single pass of those particles, being so large that they'd have a hard time getting wedged in the tightest spots, may be just fine.

The dealership, unless they see some sort of evidence of damage (gasping, wheezing, low pressure light) won't have cause to do anything from the reports of the flakes themselves.

The MPG is a separate issue, and perhaps harder to track down, based on board histories. Someone's gotta read some real-time ECU data to look at that. I've also seen cases online where new cars take a while to get their mpg up. Check tire pressures, air filter, and tire wear?

Back in 2012, I did the first oil changes on 2 camry's (V6) & 2 Tundra's (4.6/5.7), all with less than 800 miles. The oil and filters had lots of metallic glitter just like the photos that were posted.

I would do dealer oil changes for few times. Just in case if this continues and you need to deal with warranty stuff. You want to give them as little excuse as possible.

I literally says in the Toyota manual you dont even need to keep receipts. I have them and I bought a quality oil and filter. No warranty worries.

Originally Posted by CharlieBauer
It's odd that there is visible debris in drained oil when a filter removes particles that are invisible to the human eye.

Could this debris be manufacturing related that settled to a part of the oil pan that means it doesn't ever get suspended in oil and sucked up by the pick up? Thus it only came out with a drain?

I do find the highway mpg odd. Were you or your wife driving on trip 4 and trip 5? Could the wrong gear or mode be selected? If not, that is a concern to get recorded at the dealer. Also, send for an oil analysis.

I drove both 4 and 5 on the same loop. O e before oil change and one after. We have been getting about 3% better mpg after changing the FF out with PP.

Wow, the particles would concern me as well! We have a 2018 Highlander, and I dumped the factory fill at about 1,800 miles .... saw nothing unusual.
After that initial change, I did the second change at about 5,000 miles (3,200 on that change) and it looked good to the naked eye as well. After that, I've moved to 5,000 mile interval using Amsoil 0W20. Holds about 6 quarts, and has had no oil consumption between changes.
I too tend to believe this will clear up on subsequent oil changes. Hope you'll keep us posted.

Oh by the way ... it your Highlander is the AWD model ... do yourself a favor and dump the rear differential fluid early .... maybe even 5,000 miles! I changed ours at 10,000 miles and was stunned at how black the fluid was & how much metallic "fuzz" was on the magnet! It holds slightly less than one quart . I used Amsoil 75W90 Severe Gear oil.
I also changed the transfer case fluid as a precaution ... but it actually looked ok. Same fluid used to refill as rear diff,

Originally Posted by Mathew_Boss

I literally says in the Toyota manual you dont even need to keep receipts. I have them and I bought a quality oil and filter. No warranty worries.

I know what it says. My point is you want to save yourself some time from unnecessary back and forth. I do my oil changes all the time warranty on vehicle or not. But you already might have big issue, so you want to save yourself time. If it turns out nothing, well just keep doing whatever you want.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
This is the reason I have been an advocate of getting the factory fill out early, you really don't need or want that crap roaming around inside the engine for 10K or even 5K.
While it is true some engines produce fewer particles than others you don't know until its drained.

Truer words could not have been spoken. Good thing OP changed the oil early and didn't subscribe to "Toyota knows best" type of thinking.

I also agree with others to let the dealer perform oil changes for warranty purposes, but then OP will not be able to monitor if this increases, decreases or stays the same.

Since Toyota recommends 10k OCIs, I would perform an oil change myself at 5k, then let the dealer do it at 10k and so forth. This way OP can examine the old oil properly and have proper OCIs documented at the dealer.

I would do this. I did this when some of my cars came with free oil changes.

Toyota cruise control systems are notoriously stupid. If you are using cruise in a hilly area, it might be the reason for the poor fuel economy on the highway. The fact that you are getting nearly the exact estimated city MPG suggests everything is running fine, except at highway speeds. I also suspect wind speeds may be a factor, as well as the cruise speed (high?).

I'll be changing the oil in the Highlander again in about 150 miles. The gas mileage is still up significantly after draining the metallic FF. I send photos to Toyota and they finally E-mailed me back today and told me to call the 1800 number. Probably dont want a record of their reply. I was thinking Magnatec 0W20 and M1 filter and going from 3200 miles to 5k on this fill. I'm changing at 32 as that's exactly the same miles on the PP as the FF. I'm hoping visual metal goes way down for this change so I dont have to keep worrying. I picked up 0W-20 EDGE EP on cyber Monday bought enough for 3 changes but I am not going to use it until I'm comfortable with the 10k OCI Totota reccomends. If anyone has a different recommendation on oil/filter I'm open. Magnatec is on sale right now is only reason I was leaning towards it for such a short OCI

Originally Posted by Mathew_Boss
If anyone has a different recommendation on oil/filter I'm open.

Since you'll be doing such short intervals Supertech 0w20 from Walmart for $14 and change. If you have Rural Kings or Harvest Kings nearby they have full syn for $13.99/5 quart jug.

If it was me, from here on out, have the dealer change the oil - yes it goes against the BITOG DIY ethos but a dealer will try to weasel their way out of warranty work if the engine was to fail. That way, you have proof of service that the dealer and Toyota's regional district management has on hand to make the warranty process go by a little easier and the automakers tend to goodwill dealer-serviced cars more often.

At the least, have documentation for the oil/filters you bought and the mileage of each OCI. I have a feeling it might be an engine breaking in but still.

Last edited:
Holy COW!!!

We bought a 2019 Highlander LE Plus, V6 on Labor Day weekend.

I changed the oil at 1525 miles about 5 weeks ago. Everything was clean as a whistle.

It has gotten a consistent 24.4 - 24.9 MPG, I'd say an honest combined city/highway. A short highway run hit about 28 MPG, worst "city" driving was about 22 MPG.

Originally Posted by KrisZ

I would do this. I did this when some of my cars came with free oil changes.

I bought a 2014 Tundra new in December 2014. I took it in at 5k miles for the first 'free' oil change.

That "free" oil change caused me to have to go back 2 more times. They didn't tighten up the little plastic hub covers on the wheels correctly, resulting in me having to go tell them, they order the cover, and me return to pick it up.

The cap head screws weren't included, so I had to go to the hardware store to get some (3rd trip.)

It's never been back.

I won't say the Highlander won't go. As I'm getting older, it's getting more attractive to have someone do some things and I like being the old man on the porch squinting.

Let's talk about the camera display in these new Highlanders..... do any of yours look like the TV in the living room in 1973? Ours is extremely poor reception, blurry, fuzzy, etc. The display/camera in my truck that is 5 years older looks like it is the latest technology....

I bought a 2014 Tundra new in December 2014. I took it in at 5k miles for the first 'free' oil change.

That "free" oil change caused me to have to go back 2 more times. They didn't tighten up the little plastic hub covers on the wheels correctly, resulting in me having to go tell them, they order the cover, and me return to pick it up.

The cap head screws weren't included, so I had to go to the hardware store to get some (3rd trip.)

It's never been back.

I won't say the Highlander won't go. As I'm getting older, it's getting more attractive to have someone do some things and I like being the old man on the porch squinting.

Let's talk about the camera display in these new Highlanders..... do any of yours look like the TV in the living room in 1973? Ours is extremely poor reception, blurry, fuzzy, etc. The display/camera in my truck that is 5 years older looks like it is the latest technology....

I was doing free oil changes when I had BMW in dealership. Local Toyota? I would not give them two cows drawn on the paper to take care of.
On my 2015 Sienna it is same display as HL, and it is definiately old technology. But, i really do not care about that. I am more irritated how iPod functions on that system.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back