2019 subaru outback transfer case fluid

Hello, I’m new to this forum.

I searched for my answer but not found, most threads are talking about manual transmission oil. In my case, I’m asking about transfer case side. I’ve a 2019 subaru outback with cvt transmission. There are two oil compartment in this transmission, one cvt fluid side and one transfer case side. Subaru ask for Subaru Extra MT fluid (this fluid seem to be 75w80) and come only in 5 gallons jug as stated on many other threads(also confirmed my-self at local dealer). So I found an interesting candidate, a Redline MTL 75w80 fluid. What do you think about this fluid to be filled in my transfer case, is this correct for my application? I want to use viscosity of 75w80 as a Subaru Extra MT fluid, I don’t want to use the alternative grade 75w90 as Subaru can recomand.

Please advise me.

Also what about the Amsoil manual synchromesh? Often used in Toyota t-cases that call out 75W

will take a look but I need a multigrade gear oil.
on amsoil site, they have nothing for front diff, only for rear.

I use Mobil 1 75W-90LS in the front and rear differentials of our 17 OB premium, a 21 CT sport with CVT and an 18 CT premium with 6 speed transaxle. The drivetrains are much smoother since the changes. Subaru recommends the alternate grade as the 75W-80 factory fill is thin; there may be a TSB that you can search for the exact technical reasons.

Separately, I recommend that you read up on the CVT fluid and front differential changes including watch some Youtube videos before you embark on the service. The CVT fill plug is on the drivers side (Left) and the front differential fill plug is on the passenger side just above the CV joint. Additionally, be familiar with the CVT fluid drain plug prior to attempting the service; it is under the CVT fluid pan.

The front differential drain plug is removed with a T70 torx socket. There is also a check plug adjacent to the front differential drain plug that used a smaller hex bit socket; you fill the front differential with the GL-5 rated gear oil until you start to see gear oil dripping from the check hole, etc.

Edit: The above CVT specific info is applicable to the 2.5's with the TR580 CVT's.

Last edited:
Subaru Extra MT appears to be a GL-5 rated oil, so watch out for that since many MT oils are GL-4 only. Other than Motul, you can get a 75w-80 from HPL or a 75w85 from Red Line. These grades are for fuel economy... check the owners manual, you should be able to use a 75w-90 as well.

I use Mobil 1 75W-90LS in the front and rear differentials of our 17 OB premium, a 21 CT sport with CVT and an 18 CT premium with 6 speed transaxle. The drivetrains are much smoother since the changes. Subaru recommends the alternate grade as the 75W-80 factory fill is thin; there may be a TSB that you can search for the exact technical reasons.

Separately, I recommend that you read up on the CVT fluid and front differential changes including watch some Youtube videos before you embark on the service. The CVT fill plug is on the drivers side (Left) and the front differential fill plug is on the passenger side just above the CV joint. Additionally, be familiar with the CVT fluid drain plug prior to attempting the service; it is under the CVT fluid pan.

The front differential drain plug is removed with a T70 torx socket. There is also a check plug adjacent to the front differential drain plug that used a smaller hex bit socket; you fill the front differential with the GL-5 rated gear oil until you start to see gear oil dripping from the check hole, etc.

Edit: The above CVT specific info is applicable to the 2.5's with the TR580 CVT's.
thank you for your reply, no worry about the different plug for cvt and transfer case I’m informed.

so yes, “jim302”,

I think 75w90 gl-5 will be the correct choice because subaru extra MT fluid maybe a gl-5 grade but I’ve no more info about this mysterious fluid not available from dealer.

For the record, I had my '18 Legacy done recently and the sop used 75W-90 in both diffs. I don't notice a difference. As for transfer case, I didn't know there was separate fluid for that. If so, I didn't have it done.

maybe my mistake, it look like only front differential is in the other case with gl-5 fluid and transfer case unit together with cvt unit fluid.

Reactions: D60
No transfer case for subies. With the open diffs front and rear, any GL-5 75W-90 will work. Don’t overthink it.

Personally, I like to overthink things, so I used Motul Gear 300, front and rear, for both of my Subies.

There is no special "transfer case fluid" in a Subaru.

There is the CVT fluid, and then regular gear oil for both front and rear differentials. You can use any 75w90 synthetic in both front and rear diffs. It is much easier to find than 75w80 or 85 :)

Redline MTL is not appropriate for a differential. However, they do make a 75w85 GL5 gear oil that you can use.

The only GL5 75w80 gear oil I can find that's available in the US is the Motylgear that Trav mentioned. Unfortunately, Liqui-Moly #3658, another GL5 75w80, is not sold in the US.

I was also wondering about claims of a t-case, but not familiar with Subies as new as '19, so I figured they must have reworked the drivetrain.

This is exactly what I have been doing with our '16 OB. Any GL5 75W90 will work. One "short cut" I have been using for the front is using the check plug to fill (using a pump) - I have never removed the fill plug so far...

Subaru has been ahead of the game for years in that their t-case/PTU, or what ever you want to call it has always been integrated into the transaxle assembly.

• Wow
Reactions: D60
This is exactly what I have been doing with our '16 OB. Any GL5 75W90 will work. One "short cut" I have been using for the front is using the check plug to fill (using a pump) - I have never removed the fill plug so far...
I kinda like this idea! I've considered it also, and the fill plugs are often so tight it's a bit unnerving

Back