2019 Silverado High Country w/6.2 with ten speed transmission Certified/w accident

CKN

So the local Chevrolet Dealer has a 2019 Silverado High Country used w/34,000 miles on it. It is GM certified-so an extra three years powertrain (it's 6 years but it's from in service date so turns out it will be really like three years). It will have a year bumper to bumper for 12 months. It's priced about where it should be BlueBook wise but has one accident where there was no air bag deployment. The Dealer stated there was no structural damage-because if there was it would not qualify for certification-which IS TRUE. My question is that when I get ready to dispose of it-there will be an accident that does show on the Carfax. Obviously the certification provides piece of mind but it will not be there when I trade it in down the road.
I spent twenty years in my occupation looking at "COLOR" in the print industry. I cannot tell where the damage was.
What are everybody's thoughts on this? Will the accident "ding" me 5 years down the road?

Does the asking price reflect the negativity tied to buying a wrecked vehicle? If they're asking "undamaged" prices for damaged goods then it's up to you to set the situation correct.

A simple fender bender isn't necessarily a deal breaker. Somewhere in the past somebody likely received from an insurance company a benefit paid to them for the diminished value of the truck. Because the wreck is documented and you would knowingly be purchasing a wrecked vehicle then it's 100% your decision whether you want to accept the possible loss or not. The truck is worth what somebody is willing to pay. How bad do you want it?

Reactions: CKN
Yes, it will absolutely hurt your resale, especially if you trade it into a dealer. That's the funny thing: When you're buying a car with a reported accident, it's just "very minor, nothing to worry about" and when you're selling the vehicle or trading it in, it's "omg, we're never going to be able to sell this truck with accident history, it'll just go to auction, I really don't even want to make you an offer but we'll give you half of what blue book is."

That said, it's a 6.2L High Country and there aren't many in the certified used market, especially if you're picky about color. If the engine and trim are must-haves, maybe it's worth it to risk it.

Look at it as if you're going to sell it now as an 8 year old truck. If someone were buying a 2014 and saw such a history report, will it make much of a difference? If it looks nice, probably not. If they are comparing your truck to a similar one with clean history, they may want $500 or $1000 off because of that, but that's not something to worry about now.

It will absolutely hurt your resale value, and I’ve experienced it myself. This is what it’ll be like when you field calls to sell it, you’ll answer a million questions about the vehicle, then they’ll try to get you down to a ridiculously low level because of the accident on the car fax report. Same applies to trade ins. And aside from the people that will low ball you, you’ll also limit your market of potential buyers because they won’t even bother to look at it.

Carfax/reported accidents has changed the game. And you don’t want to find yourself on that side of the playing field, it’s not worth the aggravation. IMO

Does the asking price reflect the negativity tied to buying a wrecked vehicle? If they're asking "undamaged" prices for damaged goods then it's up to you to set the situation correct.

A simple fender bender isn't necessarily a deal breaker. Somewhere in the past somebody likely received from an insurance company a benefit paid to them for the diminished value of the truck. Because the wreck is documented and you would knowingly be purchasing a wrecked vehicle then it's 100% your decision whether you want to accept the possible loss or not. The truck is worth what somebody is willing to pay. How bad do you want it?
The accident isn't really reflected in the asking price. But then again the "Certification" adds a certain amount of value. 1 yr-bumper to bumper/another three years power train. The deal is OK-not compelling. But then again it's difficult to get a compelling deal in this market. However I don't have to buy.

Back