2019 Santa Fe 5W/30 1600 miles on vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 1st oil change was at 860 miles in case there was metal shavings in the 2.0T engine of the new 2019 Santa Fe. A daily oil level check revealed that the level kept rising on the dip stick for the next 553 miles. It was time to have the oil analyzed.

An oil analysis by Blackstone on the oil with just 553 miles showed 3.3% of Fuel in the oil when it should be less than 2.0%. Blackstone said that the 5W/30 oil now has the consistency of 20W oil.

The reply from the dealer after informing them of the dangerous situation was to take the Santa Fe for a 100 mile trip and it'll all clear up by itself. To prove them wrong we took a 100+ road trip and checked the oil level upon return.
No change still quite a bit above the Full mark.

My question is: How in the world can a diluted oil return to 5W/30 from 20W by driving for 100 miles?

Dealer was hoping the excess fuel in the oil would burn off.

Be patient, as your piston rings have a ways to go to be fully seated.

20w? or ?w20? Don't think it would be 20w20. Should thin down, not thicken up. Usually Blackstone isn't very concerned about fuel dilution. I'm sure most HyunKia d.i. enignes wash some fuel into the oil, that's why I do 5000 mile oci's and use 5w30 rather than 5w20. I also try to get the engine warmed up regularly. I think the dealer's comment about putting a few longer drives on it is probably right on.

Don't think there's much to be concerned about.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 147_Grain
Dealer was hoping the excess fuel in the oil would burn off.

Be patient, as your piston rings have a ways to go to be fully seated.

They generally seat the first 100 miles or so, if not sooner.

My wifes Audi and my GTI have a TDGI engine and never have this issue. The used Elantra Sport I bought
has a 1.6 TDGI engine and I'm noticing the oil level rising.
I think it happens because of engine tuning. Good luck selling a Sante Fe, Elantra Sport, Accord LX, Civic....... with such an engine and telling the owner it needs premium gas.
The Audi and GTI call for premium gas, the Sante Fe, Accord..... do not. I feel the vehicle manufacture is required to have a compromised engine tune on any TDGI vehicle
when they spec 87 octane. It's done to keep the engine alive and not shelling out money for warranty work. The knock sensor isn't always the savior of such an engine so
the manufacture tunes it to squirt more fuel on the 87 octane tune to keep the combustion chamber cooler, preventing denotation.

Vehicle manufactures want to get rid of 87 octane gasoline. https://www.autonews.com/article/20...o-industry-lobbies-for-95-as-new-regular

I get that you're trying to do what is best for the engine, but doesn't Hyundai still have 10 year 100K warranties on their power trains? It seems like your best bet for now is to enjoy the vehicle, document the maintenance work, and see how things settle over time.

A reply to scandste

This is the text that Blackstone wrote about the Fuel in the oil.

Yes, there is a significant amount of fuel in this sample. We allow up to 2.0% from possible
normal causes, like city driving and idling. But 3.3% is enough to be a problem, especially since the oil level
is rising on the dipstick. That's an indication that something is not right. The fuel has thinned the oil out of
the 5W/30 range, down into a light 20W range. Aluminum and silicon are high in comparison to averages,
which are based on oil run about 5,600 miles, but they're probably from the wear-in process (likely
harmless). Change this oil and check back to monitor.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
My wifes Audi and my GTI have a TDGI engine and never have this issue. The used Elantra Sport I bought
has a 1.6 TDGI engine and I'm noticing the oil level rising.
I think it happens because of engine tuning. Good luck selling a Sante Fe, Elantra Sport, Accord LX, Civic....... with such an engine and telling the owner it needs premium gas.
The Audi and GTI call for premium gas, the Sante Fe, Accord..... do not. I feel the vehicle manufacture is required to have a compromised engine tune on any TDGI vehicle
when they spec 87 octane. It's done to keep the engine alive and not shelling out money for warranty work. The knock sensor isn't always the savior of such an engine so
the manufacture tunes it to squirt more fuel on the 87 octane tune to keep the combustion chamber cooler, preventing denotation.

Vehicle manufactures want to get rid of 87 octane gasoline. https://www.autonews.com/article/20...o-industry-lobbies-for-95-as-new-regular

I 100% agree with you on what Hyundai does. Their tune is horrible. I own a 2018 Hyundai Kona AWD 1.6T lowered with Eibach's (1 inch lowered) and I have converted the suspension to 2019 Elantra GT N-Line (1 inch more= lowered shorter struts) struts and shocks since Koni and Bilstein were no help. So I am 2 inches lower then a stock Kona AWD 1.6T. I have sub-frame collars, front bushings are Whiteline and rears multi-link will be converted over to Whitelline bushings this winter.

The front end is now 1 inch lower then in this picture.

https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=5430&pictureid=52392

I digress.

Hyundai pulls timing back to zero EVERY shift with a DCT on their motors. I want a tune so bad, but I want a warranty for the motor, DCT and the rear diff AWD system, so it will remain stock. It is a shame that it affects warranty because Hyundai's with a good tune drive 100% better.

I had an LSPI event with the FF and 87 octane early on. The whole car seemed like it jumped off the ground 5 feet. I only run 89 as a minimum mostly in Minnesota winters and summer I use 93 octane since I am on boost more then most. Any GDI/GDI turbo Hyundai I suggest to use 89 octane as it's minimum. How they think a 9:5 to 10:1 compression ratio GDI turbo motor with full 17 lbs boost at 1,400 rpm is going to function correctly with 87 octane is nuts. Hence the horrible horrible tune. Hyundai floods the engine with fuel for cooling and to make the environment a non explosive place to be.

When I bought my Kona, I knew it was going to be a fuel dumper, but did not think it was going to be this bad. When I bought the car I also bought a 10 pack of Polaris Labs Oil analysis tests. I was well over 5% every time since I live in Minnesota and my work is 8 miles away. I also short trim when every I drive the car. 97% of the time. Driving it in sport mode keeps it MORE out of the LSPI fuel dump span of 1,400 to 3,000 rpms I feel Hyundai just dumps fuel. This helped in less fuel in winters. Your mileage will go down but it is just the price you pay owning a GDI or GDI turbo. After all my testing and with some back and forth with a oil analysis guy who use to race Hyundai's at Polaris Labs, and a poster here we all know that has a Honda 1.5T, you just change out your oil at 3,000 miles and don't worry about it. It is that simple. I have not seen any wear metal issues in all my testing being over 5% and nether has the Honda guy here ( parshisa ).

Also to the OP , if you have an AWD dump the rear diff/AWD oil at 5,000, no matter what the Hyundai service manager or order writ tells you. You have .6 qt/ .5 liter of oil ( a thimble of oil) in your AWD system and a load of clutch packs that need breaking in. I dumped all my oils at 2,000 miles and put in all Redline drive line oils, (diff, DCT, and transfer case)and the rear diff was very dirty for 2,000 miles.The transfer case was 100% clean so no need to change that till 20,000 I think. I was very surprised, so dark, so early, but I saw this with my wife's Rav4 that rear diff oil was black at 22,000 miles. I will add a story a Kona form member posted. He took my advice (at the time it was an 8,000 mile drain recommendation) and asked Hyundai drain his rear diff at 5,000 miles , they said it did not need it, and said it was a waste of money. The Kona guy said no just do it, I want it done on a suggestion on the Kona forms. He was reluctant, but agreed. The Kona guy came back and the service manager came to him and commented the mechanic came to him to say how dirty the oil was and was kind of floored since no one ever drains that early, so they never have seen this. The service manager is going to bring this up in his district meetings since Hyundai has a 100,000 mile drive train warranty and feels it is a great idea to change it out early to reduce rear diff/AWD issues late in life. A rear diff/AWD is a $3,500 to $4,000 repair. As in a Rav4 and most manufactures you only have a 60,000 mile drive line warranty. So then it's your $4,000. Not like it will go out early but for me doing it myself, it cost $20 of Redline to change out the rear diff, $10 for regular oil.

Inter..use the manual shift on the transmission and get some engine barking going when you come to stops or want to slow down.
Do it when the engine is warm and do not do this if the revs might go over 4000 rpm when you down shift.

It will help the ring seating process.

Some 75% throttle acceleration will help as well, when going more than 20 mph and when engine is warm.

if the owners manual is like girlfriends kia optima a 5-40 is acceptable for turbo models + that gives a better cushion as far as viscosity loss. girlfriends preowned 8 thou mile 2018 non turbo 2.4 has been great so far, no added oil or higher levels. upon purchase + knowing it had-i asked- a 5-20 semi syn in spec oil i quickly dumped it for a spec 10-30 syn for the summer + will change soon to a 5-30 for our Pa winter temps. good luck

Originally Posted by Intertype

My question is: How in the world can a diluted oil return to 5W/30 from 20W by driving for 100 miles?

You have a fair amount of fuel to burn off so it could take several long runs to accomplish this. But it will eventually occur (thicken back up) so long as you limit, as much as is practical, the idling and short trips which contribute to fuel in the oil.

A) you have a 10yr warranty, so don't panic.

B) your engine is young. Keep an eye on dipstick levels and do another UOA at around 5k miles. If the dipstick shows super high volume, take it into the dealership and ask them to drain some. But just know your engine can tolerate some amt of oil volume above the high mark before it technically becomes an "issue".

C) does Hyundai spec a 10w30 for your ride? You could consider going up a grade to 10w30 while you figure out the dilution issue. Of course, this is if your winter temps allow for it. If you're Hyundai/Kia is like mine it specs 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30.. but even if you're diluting down a grade from a 5/30 to 5/20 you should still have a viscosity sufficient to maintain a MOFT. For the time being I would keep your oci's to severe service and a dino/dino blend works just fine for this oci but the choice is yours of course.

If this dilution issue is not something related to the engine breaking in (it's not just rings that break in but cylinder walls as well), then you're going to need to establish trends, oil change receipts etc to get the dealership/Hyundai to take this issue as something more than "normal" break in.

You might find this article of interest...

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2018/05/how-to-break-in-your-piston-rings-the-right-way/

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

You have a fair amount of fuel to burn off so it could take several long runs to accomplish this. But it will eventually occur (thicken back up) so long as you limit, as much as is practical, the idling and short trips which contribute to fuel in the oil.

A) you have a 10yr warranty, so don't panic.

B) your engine is young. Keep an eye on dipstick levels and do another UOA at around 5k miles. If the dipstick shows super high volume, take it into the dealership and ask them to drain some. But just know your engine can tolerate some amt of oil volume above the high mark before it technically becomes an "issue".

C) does Hyundai spec a 10w30 for your ride? You could consider going up a grade to 10w30 while you figure out the dilution issue. Of course, this is if your winter temps allow for it. If you're Hyundai/Kia is like mine it specs 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30.. but even if you're diluting down a grade from a 5/30 to 5/20 you should still have a viscosity sufficient to maintain a MOFT. For the time being I would keep your oci's to severe service and a dino/dino blend works just fine for this oci but the choice is yours of course.

If this dilution issue is not something related to the engine breaking in (it's not just rings that break in but cylinder walls as well), then you're going to need to establish trends, oil change receipts etc to get the dealership/Hyundai to take this issue as something more than "normal" break in.

You might find this article of interest...

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2018/05/how-to-break-in-your-piston-rings-the-right-way/

Good article, I did a 200 mile trip in the winter and nothing flashed off. The guy I deal with at Polaris Labs said fuel dilution will balance off to a certain point and stay there. He had a customer that had a fleet of vans and they were est. be in the 9% fuel dilution area and they trended all the vans for some time with no wear metal issues. That's why you follow it to look for wear and if not, change out your oil at an early time and drive it and don't worry about it. Last winter I was running Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 so I always want to be on the high side of HTHS of 5-30 in winter, so NO Dexos Gen 2 for me.. My plan was to use 5w-30 Delo XSP for the winter and 5w-40 XSP for the summer until a Kona forum poster mentioned he had issue with foaming with XSP in a street racer he had a while ago. I caught some foam on my dipstick after that, that got me t spooked. I had to use up a stash of ESP this winter anyway. I would like to run a foam test on a used run of my Delo XSP to see how it preforms.

Mad Hatter,

The 2019 Santa Fe oil filler cap on the 2.0l turbo has a 5W/30 embossed on it.
The manual does offer alternatives as you suggested.
I changed the oil myself today, poured in a 5 gal jug of Quaker State and was surprised to see the oil level midway between the L and the F.
This 2.0 engine is allegedly made in the USA. Why make an engine with an engine oil capacity of 5 quarts 2 1/4 ounces?
The plan is to monitor the oil level checking for dilution and if it continues to change the oil every 3,000 miles.
I've had a number of different vehicles since getting a driver's license 64 years ago and this is the 2nd one with a fuel dilution problem.
Not bad odds.

I've never experienced any of these issues having owned 4 (TGDi/GDi) H/K vehicles over the years. One for 188k miles and another for around 88k miles. I'm wondering if my climate has anything to do with it. I've always use 87 and 93 octane, Dino and Synthetic oils, OEM and aftermarket oil filters in all of these vehicles which mostly see City driving. My only caveat is the OCI...never past 5K and rarely over 4K.

OP, keep us posted and hope this is just breaking-in.

Originally Posted by wemay
I've never experienced any of these issues having owned 4 (TGDi/GDi) H/K vehicles over the years. One for 188k miles and another for around 88k miles. I'm wondering if my climate has anything to do with it. I've always use 87 and 93 octane, Dino and Synthetic oils, OEM and aftermarket oil filters in all of these vehicles which mostly see City driving. My only caveat is the OCI...never past 5K and rarely over 4.5K.

OP, keep us posted and hope this is just breaking-in.

This 2.0 engine is allegedly made in the USA. Why make an engine with an engine oil capacity of 5 quarts 2 1/4 ounces?

The plan is to monitor the oil level checking for dilution and if it continues to change the oil every 3,000 miles.

Not bad odds.

U.S. bound Theta2's are indeed mfg in Hyundai's Alabama shop. My 3.8L Lambda engine uses 5.5qts or 5qts 14oz per the manual. I just round it up to 5.5. I'd imagine you could get away with the same if the fuel issue wasn't raising crankcase levels so much.

Hang in there..use the thicker oil allowed in your OM and do the 3k mile oci's and check the F/D issue every 5 or 10k miles. This is I would do and don't be surprised if things "settle down". (thinking positive)..If say after 15k miles things haven't changed and you've got a few UOA's under your belt showing consistently high FD, that might be when I'd go to battle with the dealership. Unfortunately ample UOA's suggest with di engines, some fuel dilution is just something that's going to happen.

Like you I've been pretty lucky with the cars I've owned over the years. They've all seen high mileage without any "major" issues... knock on wood....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back