2019 Ram 1500 Classic 5.7L - Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 - 10073miles

I bought this truck with 8848 miles on it in June 2020. Oil was changed before I got it and I changed it twice (@16500 and 26462) before this sample with Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 and a Fram Ultra. I generally follow the OLM with synthetics for a bit of a buffer.

Drive hours: 266
Idle hours: 19

Commute is 80% highway. Almost all family driving is in this truck as well on evenings and weekends.

Quite pleased with this, wasn't expecting anything bad, but you never know. Planning to continue as usual.

19 RAM 1500.jpg

That Kv 100 doesn’t look right for a 5W20.
Definitely interesting. This is from PQIA on the 5w20:

Viscosity
Standard
Pennzoil Platinum
Status
Viscosity 100°C cSt
6.9 to 8.4
Gren-Check-Small.png

Viscosity 40°C cSt

Gren-Check-Small.png

That Kv 100 doesn’t look right for a 5W20.
[QUOTE="I Definitely interesting. This is from PQIA on the 5w20:

Viscosity
Standard
Pennzoil Platinum
Status
Viscosity 100°C cSt
6.9 to 8.4
Gren-Check-Small.png

Viscosity 40°C cSt

Gren-Check-Small.png

[/QUOTE]
I wonder if it is thickening from oxidation.

[QUOTE="I Definitely is with 10k+ on Pennz Plat. It's not an extended OCI oil.
[/QUOTE]
Not all oils are meant for 10k miles. Rotella Gas Truck, by almost all UOA's has an extremely low TBN at the 5-6k mile mark, for example.

I have a friend who has two RAM 1500s with the 5.7. He is a Hyundai Master Tech and Chrysler certified mechanic. He uses original Mobil 1 5W30 in both. Why? He has seen too many trucks, Chargers, Chrysler 300s with the HEMI tick and wiped out cams and lifters. Neither of his has experienced it. Plus, he does 5,000 mile oil changes.

Reactions: JTK
No, but the oxidative thickening is quite interesting. Would you mind asking Blackstone to re-test it?
Anything specific to request? Never asked that before, I assume they’ll likely want the fee again.

No, sludge requires moisture.
water? If someone tries to drive 100K on the same oil, there will be no oil left, only sludge and dirt, even without a significant amount of moisture.
Heat, oxidation and as the result oil degradation are primary players in the process of forming sludge.

Those additive levels seem really low for PP, and the viscosity is badly off. You might have got the wrong sample results, I’d ask them to re-test and confirm these results.
Additive levels are definitely correct. P/Zn have been low for a long time with PP.

Last edited:
Reactions: a5m
water? If someone tries to drive 100K on the same oil, there will be no oil left, only sludge and dirt, even without a significant amount of moisture.
Heat, oxidation and as the result oil degradation are primary players in the process of forming sludge.
I've posted this probably 30x, but I'll share it here again:
1655522207617.jpg

Back