2019 Ram 1500 Classic 10k update

Just hit 10k, figured I’d do a little update.

Cons: Not a fan of the OEM Goodyear Wrangler SR-A’s in the snow or even really the rain, but they’re not as bad as I thought they’d be.

Loose piece of weatherstripping up on the roof, minor annoyance and doesn’t actually do any sealing, will have to get that fixed though.

Small rattle from somewhere in the middle of the dash.... can only hear it with the radio off and on really rough roads, turning the HVAC on medium/high is enough to drown it out, but it doesn’t bother me since I always have something playing on the radio anyway.

MDS is still MDS.... not a fan, generally have it disabled using range select. Much smoother driving experience with it disabled.

Pros: Limited slip diff, never had a vehicle with it but I love it.

I love the ZF 8HP70. Best transmission ever!

5.7 doesn’t use any oil between oil changes, has great power, though I still think the 3.6 v6 feels better under 2500rpm. Above that though you just can’t beat it, pulls hard all the way. Missed that v8 torque!

Fuel economy can be great (imo), gotten as high as 19... but it’s still a crew cab shortbed 4x4 truck and using 4x4 or hot rodding it because I’m a child with children who like “going fast” it will guzzle gas, lowest was my last tank at 14.4mpg.

Overall though, this truck will be a keeper. It’s “just” a Tradesman with bare bones creature comforts (cloth seats, monochrome old school looking radio with Bluetooth) but that’s why I love it... after 2 cars with touch screen radios and a LCD dash that I could never get dim enough at night, I love the sheer simplicity of this truck. And if I do get bored with it, there is a huge aftermarket for it.

That fuel economy sounds typical, and horrible! I had a 2004 5.7 hemi Ram that would get 18 MPG on the highway, IF you were going downhill, with a tailwind....:confused:.
If you need a truck though, that's about as good as it gets.

I also have a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic. Mine has 12,000 miles and the Pentastar 3.6. Its is also a Tradesman, but has mid level trim. Alloy wheels, 3.55 gearing, nice interior, chrome trim, and Del Monico Red exterior. BTW, RAM's"Del Monico Red" is between red and burgandy. Its a deep beautiful color.

I concur with much the OP said. The Wrangler tires are not that bad like people think. The 8 speed trans is great. The seats and vehicle ride is the best of all. My wife and I love all the comfort and that (plus the pricing) sold us on the truck. I have had zero issues, no rattles. no loose trim. My Pentastar is getting 22.1 MPG last time I checked. I love my truck!

Nice review.

I have a 2020 Ram 1500 DT Big Horn, which is the new body style. Mine is a crew cab short bed 4x2 with the 3.21's, 5.7 eTorque and LSD.

The interior design, interior build quality and ride/handling have been excellent for a truck (and incredible for the price point).

If mine is driven aggressively on short trips I have seen as low as 14 mpg. Typical city mileage is 15-16, but I have seen as high 17. Highway driving is low 20's if you drive the 65mph speed limit, otherwise it is 18-19. Fuel economy is not the strongest attribute of the HEMI compared to some of the more modern powertrain options.

Cons: Not a fan of the OEM Goodyear Wrangler SR-A’s in the snow or even really the rain, but they’re not as bad as I thought they’d be.

Loose piece of weatherstripping up on the roof, minor annoyance and doesn’t actually do any sealing, will have to get that fixed though.

Small rattle from somewhere in the middle of the dash.... can only hear it with the radio off and on really rough roads, turning the HVAC on medium/high is enough to drown it out, but it doesn’t bother me since I always have something playing on the radio anyway.

MDS is still MDS.... not a fan, generally have it disabled using range select. Much smoother driving experience with it disabled.

5.7 doesn’t use any oil between oil changes, has great power, though I still think the 3.6 v6 feels better under 2500rpm. Above that though you just can’t beat it, pulls hard all the way. Missed that v8 torque!

Fuel economy can be great (imo), gotten as high as 19... but it’s still a crew cab shortbed 4x4 truck and using 4x4 or hot rodding it because I’m a child with children who like “going fast” it will guzzle gas, lowest was my last tank at 14.4mpg.

Overall though, this truck will be a keeper. It’s “just” a Tradesman with bare bones creature comforts (cloth seats, monochrome old school looking radio with Bluetooth) but that’s why I love it... after 2 cars with touch screen radios and a LCD dash that I could never get dim enough at night, I love the sheer simplicity of this truck. And if I do get bored with it, there is a huge aftermarket for it.
There is a huge market for any used pickup truck (GM, Ford, even the Tundra) right now. Glad you are enjoying your truck!

There is a huge market for any used pickup truck (GM, Ford, even the Tundra) right now. Glad you are enjoying your truck!
You can get a free online quote from Carvana to buy your truck if you’re in the market for a new one.

Reactions: CKN

The rattle is common.....I fixed mine myself (out of warranty 2016 Ram Limited). Behind the glove box there is a harness that hits on the glove box. Just remove glovebox and repositioned it and that solved the issue.

That fuel economy sounds typical, and horrible! I had a 2004 5.7 hemi Ram that would get 18 MPG on the highway, IF you were going downhill, with a tailwind....:confused:.
If you need a truck though, that's about as good as it gets.
My 3/4 ton ford from 2002 with 4:10 differential & 4WD got 12MPG with that same tailwind.

My dad has a 19 Ram classic "warlock" in white. He put 10k on it this summer and loves it. The 3.6 has gotten him up to 22mpg on the highway I believe.

I sold my '19 Classic a few months ago and my cons were similar. Weatherstripping issues on the doors and two separate annoying squeaks, one of them the same dash rattle. Also, had a highway vibration issue. Other than that, I liked the truck a lot!

My 3/4 ton ford from 2002 with 4:10 differential & 4WD got 12MPG with that same tailwind.
It's a whole different ballgame in today's trucks (2018 Silverado-5.3 best mpg over 50 miles shown in bottom figure-33.4 mpg).

Attachments

• thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 20
I can get low 20's driving reasonably in our 2019 DT. I think the improved aerodynamics of the DT help it at highway speed. In town is obviously not as good. Still, my SRT gets far worse mileage, but, it's an SRT so... 🤷‍♂️

Just checked my mileage for my last tank. 13Mpg, which was 99% in-town with my wife idling it for two hours at work. Somehow, even with two hours of idle time, it managed 3Mpg better than my Jeep, LOL!!! :ROFLMAO:

Back