2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi 12.5K Miles Shell Gas Truck 5W-20 3K Oil Miles

@Whitestar
Can you determine if it’s coming from the top end or bottom end?
A good way to check is with a 3’ piece of heater hose, fuel line or any other type of hose that you have available.
Take the hose and put one end up to your ear and use the other end to listen to your valve covers on both sides.
Same process underneath. One end to your ear and the other to the oil pan. This is a poor mans stethoscope.
You can take a video of it once you get it narrowed down.
Both probably

Geezus-H that sounds horrible through my notebook's speakers!! Worse than most of the other hemi startup noise clips I've listened to over the years.

I too own a 2019 Ram 1500 classic w/ hemi. Mine was a rental for it's first year and 15K miles. I'm just shy of 31K miles now. I listen to every startup and I've yet to hear a single undue tick, tap, rattle or knock from my hemi and this includes many very cold winter starts. Luck perhaps? That's what it seems like with this.

FWIW, I run supertech 5w30 as opposed to the recommended 5w20 in mine and have since 15500mi. I also use either LiquiMoly MoS2 or Lubegard BioTech in with the oil ( both likely a total snake oil waste of time) I also run ~$2 champ oil filters. I change oil/filter every 5000mi. I've got about 40K miles worth of MoS2 and LG BioTech left and then I'll probably be done w/ it.

Geezus-H that sounds horrible through my notebook's speakers!! Worse than most of the other hemi startup noise clips I've listened to over the years.

I too own a 2019 Ram 1500 classic w/ hemi. Mine was a rental for it's first year and 15K miles. I'm just shy of 31K miles now. I listen to every startup and I've yet to hear a single undue tick, tap, rattle or knock from my hemi and this includes many very cold winter starts. Luck perhaps? That's what it seems like with this.

FWIW, I run supertech 5w30 as opposed to the recommended 5w20 in mine and have since 15500mi. I also use either LiquiMoly MoS2 or Lubegard BioTech in with the oil ( both likely a total snake oil waste of time) I also run ~$2 champ oil filters. I change oil/filter every 5000mi. I've got about 40K miles worth of MoS2 and LG BioTech left and then I'll probably be done w/ it.
Yeah, that’s pretty bad. It’s probably the lifters destroying the cam. Chrysler evidently knows something isn’t right because, they have made subtle changes to the lifters over a period of time. Those small needle bearings inside of the rollers look like a weak point.

Reactions: JTK
Yeah, that’s pretty bad. It’s probably the lifters destroying the cam. Chrysler evidently knows something isn’t right because, they have made subtle changes to the lifters over a period of time. Those small needle bearings inside of the rollers look like a weak point.
Yes, there has been revisions to the lifter part numbers. As much as I follow this topic here and other Ram 1500 boards, I haven't heard of the standard lifter/cam issue effect a hemi Ram this new. As far as I know, a 2019 will be the latest and most revised version of the Ram hemi.

I know on my 2019, they even modified the exhaust manifolds some by adding tie-bars between the manifold studs and the manifolds in an attempt to help mitigate the bolts breaking. We'll see how that goes as time goes on. I'm thinking this will eventually crack the manifolds instead of the bolts.

For the OPs situation, I'd want to get a decent oil filter cutter and see what's in the used filters. I'm assuming he's going to find metal bits. I examine every one of my used filters for this.

OP, I wish I had a suggestion for you. I guess all you can do is hang on to your oil change receipts and records and hope she grenades before 5yrs/60K.

Last edited:
@JTK
I’m afraid the dealership that the OP has been using is waiting for it to throw some codes. It’s time he contacted RAM customer service and file a complaint and find a better dealership.

Yes, there has been revisions to the lifter part numbers. As much as I follow this topic here and other Ram 1500 boards, I haven't heard of the standard lifter/cam issue effect a hemi Ram this new. As far as I know, a 2019 will be the latest and most revised version of the Ram hemi.

I know on my 2019, they even modified the exhaust manifolds some by adding tie-bars between the manifold studs and the manifolds in an attempt to help mitigate the bolts breaking. We'll see how that goes as time goes on. I'm thinking this will eventually crack the manifolds instead of the bolts.

For the OPs situation, I'd want to get a decent oil filter cutter and see what's in the used filters. I'm assuming he's going to find metal bits. I examine every one of my used filters for this.

OP, I wish I had a suggestion for you. I guess all you can do is hang on to your oil change receipts and records and hope she grenades before 5yrs/60K.

His truck sounds exactly like mine did with the exhaust leak. His oil analysis certainly didn't indicate that a camshaft was getting eaten up by a lifter. IMO there is nothing to talk about until he confirms his exhaust manifolds aren't leaking. If that is lifter noise then it needs to trade it in right now because the motor is already trashed and no oil/filter combo it going to fix anything.

His truck sounds exactly like mine did with the exhaust leak. His oil analysis certainly didn't indicate that a camshaft was getting eaten up by a lifter. IMO there is nothing to talk about until he confirms his exhaust manifolds aren't leaking. If that is lifter noise then it needs to trade it in right now because the motor is already trashed and no oil/filter combo it going to fix anything.

Could very well be broken exhaust manifold bolts. I guess I kind of expected the OP to have that ruled out first.

Like said though, from the way that startup sounded over my speakers, it sounded different and more aggressive to me than the typical manifold leak/tick. It stopped quicker than those typically do too. Obviously everyone's personal experience is going to vary here.

I sent an oil sample to Blackstone and it came back with really high iron and copper numbers. Including the factory fill the last oil change was the 4th oil fill in the engine. My truck has the infamous lifter rattle on startup.

That's not the oil, is the filter. Replace the filter ASAP. Look at the filter that I use on my RAM 1500, in my signature, get one of those from Advance or Amazon, they're like $11~$12 and it will never rattle again.

[Edit]

The OEM filter is too small and those Mopar filters are crappy anyway, so the top end of your motor gets starved of oil. Give it a try, it's worth it. The dealership won't help you, they never wanted to help me. They said "it's normal." Otherwise you will chase your tail trying to figure out what the issue is.

Lubegard is Awesome, Mos2 not so much. If you're running 5W-30, then you might as well run M1 FS 0W-40. My HEMI is buttery smooth on it + Lubegard. No ticks, blips, or taps.

If that fixes the noise in that video then I'll go out and buy some myself.

I think the biggest factor is the oil filter. I run the SRT sized oil filter. It's kind of a PITA to install, but it's well worth it. Also, the oil capacity increases from 7 quarts to 7.5 quarts with that filter. I believe the filter is more important than the oil. Given that all these parts can be found locally, you can go for 0W-40, Lubegard, and the bigger oil filter at the same time. Give the Lubegard a few hundred miles to work.

Oil filter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01G6FPN36?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

[Edit]

The FRAM XG2 also works, but the Purolator is less restrictive and built like a tank.

Back