2019 Hyundai Tucson drain bolt

SO so many reasons to DIY with simple services like this, assuming one is physically able to do so. Maybe it was tight as hell, but the plug threads look OK so the pan threads should be OK too. I'll reuse the drain plug gasket until it starts to tangle with the plug threads (around 3-4 times) then put on a new one.

If you don't replace the crush washer every oil change it will get stuck to the plug
It doesn't really get stuck, but like you can see in the image, it flares or mushrooms into the threads. I'll re-use Honda crush washers no more than once and when I have, you often have to un-thread them to get them off.

If you don't replace the crush washer every oil change it will get stuck to the plug, this really isn't a big deal though, my factory original crush washer lasted 140k before it finally cracked and needed replaced.
I tend to just flip the washer every change.

I have quite a few of the Hyundai washers, they put one in every OEM filter box for my Santa Fe, but I have a drain valve on it so I never use them.
They are the same washer that fit my sisters Santa Fe, mom's Soul and son's Sonata, so I have plenty for when they do wear out.

When the gasket gets like that there are many different methods to use. Everyone has their favorite. The one I like best is clamping a set of vise grips around it and rotating it out. That way I don’t bend up anymore pocket screwdrivers lol. It’s always the factory ones and the ones that are monkey tight that have the gasket issues. One of our guys double gasketed one of those drain plugs since the factory one is black around the circumference he didn’t realize it was a gasket. We got a call from the customer later that day said they were on their way home to West Virginia and were sitting on the side of I-77 in Bluefield with no oil in the car. Had to tow it back and found that. I don’t blame him but also he knew that Kia’s had gaskets. Luckily the customer stopped when the light came on and didn’t toast the engine.

I will say either West Virginia customers are possessed or I-77 is because we are always towing people off that interstate and that’s not even the interstate that we are located off of lol 😂. Seems all the oil outs happen there too.

Back