2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Valvoline Advanced 5w30 11,200 unit / 3800 OCI

Triple_Se7en

$50 Site Donor 2024
Per Blackstone Lab.....
JOSEPH: This is a young engine so the extra copper in this sample is likely still lingering from
wear-in, even if there have been a few oil changes already. We doubt it shows trouble with brass/bronze
parts. Averages for a mature 2.4L GDI are based on about 5,500 miles of oil use, and the rest of your
metals look fantastic next to those. A trace of fuel was found, but it's harmless and from normal use. The
thin viscosity isn't a big concern, either. So far, so good!

Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5W/30
11,200 unit -- 3800 miles OCI
Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4L GDI

ALUMINUM..............3
CHROMIUM.............0
IRON.......................13
COPPER..................9
LEAD........................0
TIN...........................0
MOLYBDENUM......243
NICKEL....................0
MANGANESE..........1
SILVER....................0
TITANIUM...............24
POTASSIUM...........2
BORON..................91
SILICON.................15
SODIUM..................6
CALCIUM.............1156
MAGNESIUM.........712
PHOSPHORUS.....713
ZINC......................784
BARIUM..................0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F...53.5
Flashpoint in °F................375
cst [email protected]
Fuel %.............................TR
Water%..........................0.00
Antifreeze %..................0.00
Insolubles %..................0.03

Moly is up a little due to a half-bottle of MoS2 added. Mostly all 10 minute warmups during the winter and mostly all city driving. Engine did see long Sunday drives on the freeway for a half-hour at-least.
Not really happy with Valvoline Advanced results. Currently have Valvoline Modern Engine 5w30 running.
Serviceable / Ho-Hum is my opinion
After Modern Engine comes Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Then my life with SN Plus ends and moves to SP / GF6 Dexos1 Gen2.

My personal flags here are both Flashpoint and 100cst. Shear City going-on here. This oil started-out over 10 and I only ran it 3800 miles.
Maybe my 2.4 and Valvoline Adv Syn aren't a happy marriage.

I have no issue with that UOA because those wear metals look fine. On my 2.0T Santa Fe, we also do 3-5k mile OCI.

From what I've seen Castrol Edge has the least shearing (in the presence of fuel) of any SN+ GF-5 5W-30 tested in a 3.5EB. It might be worth a try in that engine if your trying to limit the shearing.

Really though nothing wrong with that analysis unless the grade drop bothers you.

Last edited:
2.4 2019 Sorento. OCI every 5k miles with PP. I might try Castrol Mag. Seems pretty good with the numbers I wouldn't trust an oil after 5k with GDI, just my opinion. Always use OEM filter with your Hyundai, until the warranty runs out. I can offer 758 million reasons why.

Originally Posted by 77Se7en
My personal flags here are both Flashpoint and 100cst. Shear City going-on here. This oil started-out over 10 and I only ran it 3800 miles.

I don't know if I would go so far as to say that Valvoline synthetic doesn't work well with this engine. 5w20 is the spec oil for this engine and a 5w30 sheared into 5w20 range is not putting anything at risk in my estimation. These Hyundai GDI engines are no joke as far as being hard on oil though, I don't feel good about pushing mine much beyond the 3750 mile severe service interval anymore.

Can you tell a difference when using MOS2 vs not using it? I've always wondered about that stuff.

Maybe not "Shear City", but could be fuel dilution. As mentioned many times in this forum, Blackstone's fuel dilution results are suspect at best.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Can you tell a difference when using MOS2 vs not using it? I've always wondered about that stuff.

I am missing the MoS2 with the current Valvoline Modern Engine. Our basement is being remodeled and there's a bottle of MoS2 down there somewhere....lol
Engine is not as quiet. My wife noticed it before I did. Her ears are sharper than mine.

Originally Posted by Gene K
From what I've seen Castrol Edge has the least shearing (in the presence of fuel) of any SN+ GF-5 5W-30 tested in a 3.5EB. It might be worth a try in that engine if your trying to limit the shearing.

Really though nothing wrong with that analysis unless the grade drop bothers you.

The OCI prior to this Valvoline Advanced was black bottle Castrol Edge. The oil looked ugly-worn when I drained it. Turned black quickly..... about 1k. Ran it about the same (3.8).

Never tried Edge EP. Someday I will.

Thanks everyone for their comments / two cents, that's worth much more than pennies to me.

With how hard these engines are on oil, I'd say the oil did fine for a new engine.
As said, your 5-30 is now ‘required' 5-20!

Originally Posted by addyguy
With how hard these engines are on oil, I'd say the oil did fine for a new engine.
As said, your 5-30 is now ‘required' 5-20!

Maybe I'll use my $5 Clearance Oil Delo XSP synthetic 5w40 SN+ next. It's a gallon jug and I could blend-in a quart of Havoline Syn 0w20. Engine holds 5.1 quarts.

I'll bet my shearing gets cut in half - my flashpoint goes way up and my cst@100 ends in the 9s..... 5w30 territory.

I know they use as high as 15w40 overseas on this engine. So my secret blend of 4 parts 5w40 and one part 0w20 should be a 4w38 breeze.
beer3.gif

Per Blackstone Lab.....
JOSEPH: This is a young engine so the extra copper in this sample is likely still lingering from
wear-in, even if there have been a few oil changes already. We doubt it shows trouble with brass/bronze
parts. Averages for a mature 2.4L GDI are based on about 5,500 miles of oil use, and the rest of your
metals look fantastic next to those. A trace of fuel was found, but it's harmless and from normal use. The
thin viscosity isn't a big concern, either. So far, so good!

Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5W/30
11,200 unit -- 3800 miles OCI
Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4L GDI

ALUMINUM..............3
CHROMIUM.............0
IRON.......................13
COPPER..................9
LEAD........................0
TIN...........................0
MOLYBDENUM......243
NICKEL....................0
MANGANESE..........1
SILVER....................0
TITANIUM...............24
POTASSIUM...........2
BORON..................91
SILICON.................15
SODIUM..................6
CALCIUM.............1156
MAGNESIUM.........712
PHOSPHORUS.....713
ZINC......................784
BARIUM..................0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F...53.5
Flashpoint in °F................375
cst [email protected]
Fuel %.............................TR
Water%..........................0.00
Antifreeze %..................0.00
Insolubles %..................0.03

Moly is up a little due to a half-bottle of MoS2 added. Mostly all 10 minute warmups during the winter and mostly all city driving. Engine did see long Sunday drives on the freeway for a half-hour at-least.
Not really happy with Valvoline Advanced results. Currently have Valvoline Modern Engine 5w30 running.
Serviceable / Ho-Hum is my opinion
After Modern Engine comes Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Then my life with SN Plus ends and moves to SP / GF6 Dexos1 Gen2.

Several problems I see. You used Moly additive to oil so it shortened oil life.
2. Moly additive you added doesn't play nice with Calcium.
Be careful as the studies show if you don't continue then a short OCI is recommended then after oil starts lubricating engine change oil as filter might clog as film from the effect of Calcium and Moly will be washed off surface leaving small metal particles.
Do a quick search

I can't find my remaining MoS2. With SP /GF6 emerging, I doubt I'll buy more.
At my next UOA - if I feel Calcium has become too short, I'll give the oil change a quart of whole milk. That should fix the calcium shortage.....lol
Heated liquid cheese is high calcium, but too thick to use. I think the cst@100 was around 20.

All joking aside, thanks to everyone for their help.

*I have a 2017 Sonata 2.4L with Valvoline Advanced 5W30 on deck (current fill is PUP 5W30) ... *I too am alarmed at the shearing done with this oil in the 2.4L - not sure of if it's A1 / A5 , B1 / B5 rated or not ?

Chris
I did not smell fuel at any time and I checked the oil several times. I also smelled the drained oil and it smelled like oil. I've used a half-bottle (6.5oz) of MoS2 before and shearing wasn't an issue. The jug was purchased between Thanksgiving and Christmas at Walmart and this store is big city - high volume.

For only 3.8k or-so, the drop raised my feathers. The flashpoint drop raised my blood pressure.....lol

Chris
I did not smell fuel at any time and I checked the oil several times. I also smelled the drained oil and it smelled like oil. I've used a half-bottle (6.5oz) of MoS2 before and shearing wasn't an issue. The jug was purchased between Thanksgiving and Christmas at Walmart and this store is big city - high volume.

For only 3.8k or-so, the drop raised my feathers. The flashpoint drop raised my blood pressure.....lol

The best 5w30 I have ever put in my Hyundai GDI engine, and have ever used period, is Rotella T6 Multi Vehicle. That engine does like Valvoline Synthetic Maxlife 0w20 as well.

Back