2019 Hyunda Santa Fe 2.4L, factory fill, Holy Moly

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a Blackstone test that was posted a few weeks ago on a Hyundai forum. The OP states it's for the factory fill in his '19 2.4L Santa Fe. Everything was as I expected it to be except for the MOLY content. . . no mention was made of any additives added to the oil--if that's true, what's Hyundai using for their FF? Here's the original post: https://www.hyundai-forums.com/threads/blackstone-labs-analysis-2019-sf-2-4-awd.657958/

[Linked Image]

You always hear "tales" about the factory using some special break-in lube for the factory fill but proof of it seems rather scant--until this. . . I may have to start looking for Bigfoot now!
smile.gif

For being a FF UOA, those are great numbers. I know of no Shell oil with this much Moly (Hyundai and Shell have a partnership for years). This almost looks like one of the high Moly Japanese oils like Idemitsu Zepro etc.

Thanks for sharing, Robster. Very interesting.

No doubt they are using a moly paste product to prevent initial dry start of the new engine, Honda does this, the spec product is M77 with Molykote Gn being on the approved list (it should be the M77 is Gn AFAIK).
Higher that normal moly readings will continue into the next OC or two, they do not use some special high moly break in oil and after the first start provides little or no additional benefits.

Originally Posted by Trav
No doubt they are using a moly paste product to prevent initial dry start of the new engine, Honda does this, the spec product is M77 with Molykote Gn being on the approved list (it should be the M77 is Gn AFAIK).
Higher that normal moly readings will continue into the next OC or two, they do not use some special high moly break in oil and after the first start provides little or no additional benefits.

Thanks for the info, Trav. Would this be used primarily because the car sits on the new car lot for some time without starting?

Originally Posted by Trav

Thanks Trav--that makes perfect sense, although I'm surprised I haven't seen that phenomena before now though--many people seem to like doing UOAs on their FF. . .it's a first for me to see moly that high.

Didn't warrant a mention from Blackstone either. They think nothing of it (?).

You will see it mostly on Japanese engine that are cold fired at the factory, Honda for one. Some manufacturers pre lube the engine by pressurizing the galley through various locations after the engine is assembled, others do it this way.
Once the bearings have oil this compound has done its job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back