2019 Honda Pilot OCI and Oil Choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup I keep logs of all of my oil changes. I changed the factory fill at a little over 7k miles. I now have almost 25k miles and the car does not burn any oil and there is no fuel dilution. The engine has low miles but I do not see any future issues with it. Honda is on the 3rd iteration of VCM and has worked out the issues that were on the 1st and 2nd iteration. There is a slight difference in the Accord 3.5 vs the 3.5 found on the Pilot and Ridgeline. The Accord 3.5 used multipoint injection vs direct injection which I am glad they did.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by klt1986
. . . You made a very good case to go ahead and change the FF at about 5k, IMO. I also like the idea of running another high moly oil. My idea is to change the FF at about 5k without reseting the MM. Then, I'd run the 2nd fill until the MM dropped to 15%. From that point on I'd follow the MM.

Solid plan, IMHO. And I agree that you don't want to reset the MM at 5k. I just allow mine to do its thing. I'm often ahead on the maintenance recommended, but that's fine for me.

And Uncle Dave, WRT the pic you linked, Honda's website had (a now long gone) advisory that urged Honda owners not to worry about any "small" particles (they stated a size, but I don't recall what it was) that might not be captured by the two oil filters that Honda sold at the time (the A01 by Filtech and Honeywell's A02). Their point was the OEM filters are purposely designed to promote the flow of oil, not restrict it, and that whatever wasn't captured was so small that it was harmless, and actually beneficial in running-in a new motor. The fine texture, they argued, aided in honing the cylinders and seating the rings, and that it inevitably will be flushed out with the initial oil change. OK. All the more reason in my opinion to change the filter early and the FF NLT 5k.

Originally Posted by Hounds
Originally Posted by klt1986
. . . You made a very good case to go ahead and change the FF at about 5k, IMO. I also like the idea of running another high moly oil. My idea is to change the FF at about 5k without reseting the MM. Then, I'd run the 2nd fill until the MM dropped to 15%. From that point on I'd follow the MM.

Solid plan, IMHO. And I agree that you don't want to reset the MM at 5k. I just allow mine to do its thing. I'm often ahead on the maintenance recommended, but that's fine for me.

And Uncle Dave, WRT the pic you linked, Honda's website had (a now long gone) advisory that urged Honda owners not to worry about any "small" particles (they stated a size, but I don't recall what it was) that might not be captured by the two oil filters that Honda sold at the time (the A01 by Filtech and Honeywell's A02). Their point was the OEM filters are purposely designed to promote the flow of oil, not restrict it, and that whatever wasn't captured was so small that it was harmless, and actually beneficial in running-in a new motor. The fine texture, they argued, aided in honing the cylinders and seating the rings, and that it inevitably will be flushed out with the initial oil change. OK. All the more reason in my opinion to change the filter early and the FF NLT 5k.

Im doing what I can to catch the very small particle that go round and round through the filter - especially when I'm towing at max weight and revving the snot out of the mill which I do with regularity.

at some point, polishing means removal of material.

I woudlnt say Im worried about them, but I'd rather have cleaner oil than not for the very low price of a better filter and mag.

A dual layer synthetic flows better than the cellulose/ fibre AO series even though it filters better. Since the vehicle has a positive displacement pump I'm not worried about any difference in flow.

UD

I changed the FF at 2500 miles to 0W-20 Mobil 1 EP and a Fram XG7317. I'm at 17K miles and my new plan is just change oil and filter every 10K starting at 20K with Mobil1 EP/Fram XG7317. Then I'll be on the same schedule as my Lexus RX350. Right now no oil consumption and no fuel dilution and there was plenty of TBN left at 7500 miles on my last OA with Mobil 1 EP.

Yeah, yeah...blah, blah warranty stuff blah blah. It will never be an issue....

Here's a fact....after keeping detailed records for every car I've owned (15 now since I was 16 years old) and every maintenance procedure performed on each car I have NEVER been asked to produce those records for warranty work or when trading the car into a dealership. Not once...so I'm settling on what's convenient for me. Screw the maintenance minder.

Last edited:
Don't overthink it. You'll be fine following the MM for the FF and future oil changes. The FF is filled with synthetic and as long as you use a good synthetic oil and top tier gas, you have nothing to worry about. I have never seen the MM go beyond what a good synthetic oil can handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back