2019 Golf R Oil Analysis

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted some help on the oil analysis. I did change the oil pretty early both times (reasoning not important), but wanted to help some understanding what is going on.

2019 had some differences in the manual and what was listed under the hood (0W30 504)

Factory Fill for about 1800 miles (a couple track events on it), then I went with Amsoil Euro 0W-40 ESP (502/505) (a track weekend on it) for the second oil change and currently on Molygen 5W-30 for the dye primarily and seeing if there are any issues with the car.

So here is what I received from the oil analysis, help me understand what it all means, and which one looks like a good oil for prolonged use?

Thanks.

oil.JPG

It's still a bit early to say much. The engine is still breaking in as evidenced by the slightly elevated iron/aluminium particle count and the higher copper.

For prolonged use you would want an oil with a higher base number, but as it is right now neither oil will last particularly long in your application. 3k seems to be the max for the castrol oil and 5k for the Amsoil if the base numbers keep falling at the same rate. I'm not a fan of the Castrol oil, with it's low flashpoint and high viscosity index, and low starting base number...

The best oil for that car IMO is Mobil 1 ESP, either the 5w30 or 0w30 versions are fine and carry the correct approvals.

Remaining TBN means very little, honestly. The 504 oils have lower TBN but they stay ~3 for a really long time. If a particular oil carries 504 approval it has been tested and approved for an 18k mile/2 year service interval in some markets. North America only goes half that far.

If VW specifies a 504/507 oil in this car, Molygen 5W30 is not what you want to use. Especially if you plan to use for track days.

An approved VW 504/507 oil has minimum HTHS of 3.5, while Molygen 5W30 does not.

Now if your car is one that calls for a 508 0W20 oil, then have at it.

504 0W-30 is what the sticker on the intake says.
Welcome to VW confusing oil recommendations. What is important for warranty is VW504.00/507.00 which could be 0W30 or 5W30.
For track days, that oil could be OK but I would personally go with most stout oil you can find that is approved. Two come to my mind:
1. Mobil1 ESP 5W30
2. Amsoil 5W30 AEL

If warranty is not that important you want oil with elevated ZDDP and higher HTHS for track use. Since it is DI engine, and EA888 engines are known for CBU, you do not want Mobil1 0W40FS due to very high Sulfated Ash, but if you want, it is really good oil. You should go something like Motul 5W40 Sport or even Motul 5W40 300V or Redline 5W40. You could do 5k with them including track.
If you want to stick to some kind of VW approvals, you can go Motul 5W40 X-Clean Gen2. It has HTHS 3.9 and it is approved for VW511.00.

As others pointed, it is too early to say anything about UOA as engine is new.

The Molygen 5W30 is not what you want to run and is not intended for Euro cars and I believe is aimed at the Asian and American cars. The 5W40 version is inteded for Euros (that take 502) but your car requires a 504 so stick with the other recommendations folks above are making.

What is your point with HTHS and SAPS?
Point being the sticker indicates either oil with with 3.5 or greater HTHS and 502 being high SAPs while 504 isn't. So in the case of the OP and his R which called for 502 in prior years I'd put HTHS above SAPs in choosing an oil. Unless there is an engine change im not aware of.

Point being the sticker indicates either oil with with 3.5 or greater HTHS and 502 being high SAPs while 504 isn't. So in the case of the OP and his R which called for 502 in prior years I'd put HTHS above SAPs in choosing an oil. Unless there is an engine change im not aware of.
Both oils have HTHS of 3.5 minimum.
There is very good evidence that Low-SAPS oils limit CBU.
On track however, I would use something with Porsche A40.

Back