2019 GMC 2500 Duramax exhaust brake use..

I'm camped in Franklin NC with the above truck detached from camper as our transportation.
We are exploring and driving all over and having a great time. This is our first heavy duty four-wheel-drive vehicle.
Regarding the Engine exhaust brake. Does it bother The engine or trans in any way to have it on just for normal driving on some of these mountains and smaller hills? It really is great not to have to be all over the brakes on so many of these down hills.

Thanks for any help,

Steve

I have The A & B engine brake on my 2006 Duramax. In Idaho coming down off the Fourth of July Pass I used it pulling my 14,000 Lbs DRV 5th Wheel. Didn't have to touch the brake once. Held just a hair over 55 MPH. Sure saved a ton of braking.

Does it bother The engine or trans in any way to have it on just for normal driving on some of these mountains and smaller hills?
I leave mine on pretty much all the time even just driving around not towing anything, except when it maintains a lower gear for enhanced braking and it's not needed. It can be annoying to have the engine running 2,000 RPMs when not towing, then I just reach down and shut it off.

I should hope it does not cause issues.

I leave the EB on full on my 2017 Ram. Yes it can be a bit aggressive but when used right, you barely ever use the service brakes.

With the combination of tow/haul mode and exhaust brake on my PSD I barely need to use the brakes going down large hills. It’s a great feature, and you can use it without a trailer with no ill effect

Back