2019 Ford F250 6.7L OCI dilemma

Do their ambulances have the high idle installed?

Are you using blackstone for the UOA?

You are correct with the fuel. The failed fuel systems we have seen with CP4.2 failures is from people who do not change fuel filters and people who get diesel from anywhere like mom and pop stores which contain water.

They do. They have been instructed to use it always, but who knows if operators actually listen.

No, I use Polaris labs for UOA.

You are correct about. 40 weight handiling fuel dilution better due to increased viscosity. Which is why I use it, and use a lab that uses gas chromatography for fuel dilution measurements.

No, if records are requested, you will have to provide. Some brands will sometimes ask for additional info on service history before moving forward on certain engine-related claims now.

It seems like DIY records don’t really count nowadays so it’ll already be sketchy.
I have never in 16 years of being a dealer technician seen a manufacturer request an oil analysis. The proof is in the pudding meaning once that valve cover is off the tell tale sign of extended drains, not changing oil, is apparent. That’s all an engineer or rep has to see to deny warranty.

They do. They have been instructed to use it always, but who knows if operators actually listen.

No, I use Polaris labs for UOA.

You are correct about. 40 weight handiling fuel dilution better due to increased viscosity. Which is why I use it, and use a lab that uses gas chromatography for fuel dilution measurements.
So with that being said, the high idle keeps the combustion chamber and oil hot to prevent cylinder wash down, helps with fuel dilution,but doesn’t stop it, but does help with the DPF. I’m not an analysis guy but guys on here that are very knowledgeable say an analysis doesn’t tell the full story of an oil and that blackstone measure fuel, from flashpoint. You need to use a lab that uses GC to get a proper fuel % which they say Polaris /OAI does. If you pay attention to the oil temp, these trucks at highway speeds will go up to around 206 and about 216 while towing. Once idling it will go down to around 190 after 15 minutes of idling and will continue to go down. Ford recommends when towing to shut the truck down at 194-196 degrees Fahrenheit of oil temp. I personally have a 2019 Ford F-350 SRW and have a 2022 grand design solitude 380FL-R with a scale weight of GCWR 25,620. When I stop it takes 10 to 12 minutes of idle time to reach 194 from 216 degrees. Once I shut it off it’s a smooth shutdown. Listen to the guys that shut them down immediately, the shut down is very rough. And bad for the turbo.

If you actually read my post I do use Polaris. Black stone doesn’t accurately measure fuel dilution . Which is why I dont use them. I appreciate you trying to explain things but these are things I already know about the trucks, but thanks.

One that doesn’t pay attention to oil temp when towing is a fool and/or ignorant. I am neither.

Last edited:
I have never in 16 years of being a dealer technician seen a manufacturer request an oil analysis. The proof is in the pudding meaning once that valve cover is off the tell tale sign of extended drains, not changing oil, is apparent. That’s all an engineer or rep has to see to deny warranty.
I didn’t say oil analysis. I said service records.

6k intervals 15w40 on my two 6.4 powerstrokes one went 191k full emission equipment
One is still going with 310k it was deleted while still under the paper warranty period

6k intervals 5w40 on one 6.7 full emission junk still going at 165k

6k intervals 15w40 on my two 6.4 powerstrokes one went 191k full emission equipment
One is still going with 310k it was deleted while still under the paper warranty period

6k intervals 5w40 on one 6.7 full emission junk still going at 165k
You saying emissions junk, but I have seen trucks with 600,000 plus miles with all the emissions stuff on and never messed with. Here’s the deal, people who buy the truck to look cool has the issues. The guys that actually use the truck for what it’s made for never have issues with anything if taken care of. I’ve seen lots of hotshot drivers trucks that are in every 2 weeks to a month for service.

You saying emissions junk, but I have seen trucks with 600,000 plus miles with all the emissions stuff on and never messed with. Here’s the deal, people who buy the truck to look cool has the issues. The guys that actually use the truck for what it’s made for never have issues with anything if taken care of. I’ve seen lots of hotshot drivers trucks that are in every 2 weeks to a month for service.
Agreed my trucks are money makers not toys.... lack of maintenance and upkeep is like throwing money in a hole and I have had enough employees do that enough!

5000 mile oil changes, 3500 in severe service? Maybe it's because I am a commercial user but if that's what I had to do to get life out of an engine I wouldn't buy that brand. I use Polararis, and establish oil drains with proper testing. Don't believe in it? I have a happy 640,000 plus mile Duramax on 20k oil drains. Samples look good and I've never had to take the valve covers off.

To the OP, in low low mileage stuff, I change the oil yearly, not because I think the oil will turn bad, mostly because I don't want to trust the oil filter integrity after that time.

So with the EGR and the heat these engines run and the soot they produce, is not smart to go past 5,000 miles. Also no consumer falls under normal service which is for 7500-10000 miles. all consumers fall under extreme usage. With that being said, it calls for 5,000 mile oil changes or 1 year whichever comes first. It even says not to follow the oil life monitor. We even change oil 5,000 miles on all of fords lineup. We have seen what happens to people who extended oil changes with these engines. Go talk to any ford tech and they will tell you the same thing I’m saying.

YouTube these techs also and you can see too

Tech talk w arod
Fordbossme
Dieseltechchris
I always go to You Tube for advice. :)

Small hotshot fleet
2021 duramax 185k miles 500 hour changes no issues except for emissions (they are junk)
2019 ram 3500 cummins 140k miles 500 hour changes. No issues
2015 powerstroke 130k miles 500 hour changes
Nox sensor issues but ok other wise.
Everything is using napa 5w40 diesel oil.
They all are on 24/7 when in use towing at 40 ft gooseneck 26k gvwr or less. No issues with engines.

my small hotshot fleet of 3 trucks is in about once a month and around 500 hours for service.
Emissions is the biggest issue we constantly deal with. Engines just keep going on napa 5w40 diesel oil.

Back