2019 Ford F250 6.7L OCI dilemma

6.7's can't take just any 5w-40 either. It must meet the Ford spec and not many of them do. I buy the Valvoline Premium Blue whenever NAPA puts it on sale.
I do 10k OCI on mine, but it's almost all highway miles, just loafing along on the interstate with no towing at all.

Check your fuel dilution too. My 2015 PSD (particularly in the winter) had quite a bit of dilution that will not go away with highway miles like it may in a gasoline engine.

I changed mine every 5K.

I service a fleet of these in a 550 ambulance chassis. I have been doing so for several years. They easily see 400 hours between services on a bulk 15w40 with majority of idle time with full emissions equipment. Average engine life is 20K-25K hours. Not sure what type of service your vehicles are but ambulances are about as bad as it gets. Not sure what evidence to have to support your claims.

From my experience the only mechanical wear problem these engines suffer from are the rocker arms. Occasionally you will see tappet failure. Both of these are usually from excessive fuel diluted oil run too long. Just about every bottom end I’ve taken apart on these the bearings are still in excellent condition, even with with over 20K hours.

I will however agree with you that thick oils can cause the “typewriter tap” but usually it settles down a bit into the OCI. There is no harm being done by the noise.

That being said, my personal 6.7L I run 5w40 and use UOA samples every 5K miles or 200 hours to determine OCI. Currently at 8700 miles on current fill.
So. Just bc YOU service the ambulances way past they are supposed to be doesn’t mean you’re correct. Ambulances fall under extreme, just as every other super duty on the road which means 5,000 miles. Ambulances with all of the unnecessary idling, which is very bad for these engines as well as the DPF. Also oil analysis doesn’t tell the full story of an oil. You should be changing oil sooner than 5,000 with an ambulance. Should be 3,500.

It calls for 10w30 for normal use - for fuel economy, 5w40 for extreme use which if someone buys this truck just to ride around in and not work it, isn’t too smart.
My boss puts Phillips 66 with titanium 10w-30 in everything. I'm just following orders. The trucks are worked hard too and we have not had any oil related issues even though we are in the desert.

The f550 mechanic truck I drive when I have to go to a job site weighs 21k.

So. Just bc YOU service the ambulances way past they are supposed to be doesn’t mean you’re correct. Ambulances fall under extreme, just as every other super duty on the road which means 5,000 miles. Ambulances with all of the unnecessary idling, which is very bad for these engines as well as the DPF. Also oil analysis doesn’t tell the full story of an oil. You should be changing oil sooner than 5,000 with an ambulance. Should be 3,500.

I’m quite aware that ambulances fall under extreme, hence my previous post. We use the OLM. It comes up every 2000 miles factoring the idle time. They end up getting service every 4-6 weeks.

The point I am making is that even with this extreme service using bulk15w40 the engine last YEARS with little or no mechanical issues using the OLM.

I’m quite familiar with the 6.7 I’ve been working on them since 2011.

And I must ask, what doesn’t the UOA tell you that you need to know? Or what information are you looking for that isn’t on the report?

It seems that you’re using emotion rather than science to support what you’re saying. Correct me if I’m wrong.

IMO you should be more concerned about the keeping clean fuel in the truck to protect the fuel system rather than oil related issues.

Last edited:
it just feels wrong to dump a good quality 15w40 at 3500 miles. Is a few additional months going to really hurt the engine? Probably not but the voice of reason is pointing me towards an oil change to keep the warranty in check. I do have a bunch of 10w30 Rotella T5 in the shop. Good discussion, keep it coming.

it just feels wrong to dump a good quality 15w40 at 3500 miles. Is a few additional months going to really hurt the engine? Probably not but the voice of reason is pointing me towards an oil change to keep the warranty in check. I do have a bunch of 10w30 Rotella T5 in the shop. Good discussion, keep it coming.

Reset the OLM and keep the oil and run it to 5K. What are you using?

I'm interested in the answers to mattd's questions. I feel like you are chicken littleing your answers. I don't have the shear numbers mattd has but I've had a 2011, 2013 and now 2017 that all gave/give great service with olm or longer service

I'm interested in the answers to mattd's questions. I feel like you are chicken littleing your answers. I don't have the shear numbers mattd has but I've had a 2011, 2013 and now 2017 that all gave/give great service with olm or longer service

The biggest reason I do UOA is to watch fuel dilution

The biggest reason I do UOA is to watch fuel dilution
My fuel dilution has been random. Not sure what causes it to be higher certain times. Never really been high enough for concern. I can see where that's different in ambulance service.

My personal feelings are people are wasting money and resources changing at 5k. Prediction, next 5 posts will have some form of the phrase " cheap insurance "

My fuel dilution has been random. Not sure what causes it to be higher certain times. Never really been high enough for concern. I can see where that's different in ambulance service.

My personal feelings are people are wasting money and resources changing at 5k. Prediction, next 5 posts will have some form of the phrase " cheap insurance "

Not sure if it has anything to do with the lube or not, but my fuel dilution was terrible with the MC 10w30. So far I haven’t had any measurable with the HPL lube. Coincidence? No idea

On the topic of the warranty. Wouldn't the burden of proof fall on the dealer if they tried to deny an engine related claim due to not having 5K on the oil. Kind of difficult to prove considering there are 13 quarts of quality oil in there. Also is 12 vs 18 months really going to play a major role?

I run 2 good trips up through I-70 in the CO mountains every year towing 3500 lbs and I don't baby it. Hopefully fuel dilution isn't a big deal in my scenario.

My boss puts Phillips 66 with titanium 10w-30 in everything. I'm just following orders. The trucks are worked hard too and we have not had any oil related issues even though we are in the desert.

The f550 mechanic truck I drive when I have to go to a job site weighs 21k.
Phillips 66 is who makes and bottles the motorcraft oil.

I’m quite aware that ambulances fall under extreme, hence my previous post. We use the OLM. It comes up every 2000 miles factoring the idle time. They end up getting service every 4-6 weeks.

The point I am making is that even with this extreme service using bulk15w40 the engine last YEARS with little or no mechanical issues using the OLM.

I’m quite familiar with the 6.7 I’ve been working on them since 2011.

And I must ask, what doesn’t the UOA tell you that you need to know? Or what information are you looking for that isn’t on the report?

It seems that you’re using emotion rather than science to support what you’re saying. Correct me if I’m wrong.

IMO you should be more concerned about the keeping clean fuel in the truck to protect the fuel system rather than oil related issues.
Do their ambulances have the high idle installed?

Are you using blackstone for the UOA?

You are correct with the fuel. The failed fuel systems we have seen with CP4.2 failures is from people who do not change fuel filters and people who get diesel from anywhere like mom and pop stores which contain water.

I run 2 good trips up through I-70 in the CO mountains every year towing 3500 lbs and I don't baby it. Hopefully fuel dilution isn't a big deal in my scenario.
The ones we saw in dealer the most is the ones who did not work them, they bought it to look cool which is not smart. DPF would be completely clogged up from idling, oil was diluted with diesel. Had to be towed in bc the truck wouldn’t start. This was happening a lot at Nissan too with the XD 5.0.

On the topic of the warranty. Wouldn't the burden of proof fall on the dealer if they tried to deny an engine related claim due to not having 5K on the oil. Kind of difficult to prove considering there are 13 quarts of quality oil in there. Also is 12 vs 18 months really going to play a major role?
You don’t want old oil sitting in my opinion for a year. The contents in the oil like acid, soot, and etc why would you want that to sit in the engine and possibly eat away at seals.

Not sure if it has anything to do with the lube or not, but my fuel dilution was terrible with the MC 10w30. So far I haven’t had any measurable with the HPL lube. Coincidence? No idea
The fuel dilution is going to happen regardless. With the 40 weight oil there is a better buffer when it shears from the fuel. The 30 weight may shear to a day 20 weight, vs the 40 weight may shear to a 30 weight.

No, if records are requested, you will have to provide. Some brands will sometimes ask for additional info on service history before moving forward on certain engine-related claims now.

It seems like DIY records don’t really count nowadays so it’ll already be sketchy.

Back