2019 Ford F250 6.7L OCI dilemma

So am I nuts...

My 2019 F250 has 3500 miles on the 15w40 but I just passed the 12 months so the OLM says 0% as designed. I am having a difficult time convincing myself that the oil has to be changed. I'm thinking at a minimum, change it in the spring since I might have 5k on the oil by then. The truck was purchased in December of 2018 with 8 miles on it. Current mileage is 17,4XX.

Run it longer or change it thoughts?

If it's under warranty I would change the oil when the OLM says to. I have no idea but I could imagine that Ford can tell if you changed the oil when the OLM indicates.

I have a 2015 Ford-250 with a PSD and went to 5W40 synthetic and a bypass oil filter and I run 2X the OLM.

DO NOT extend changes on these powerstokes. DO NOT follow the oil life monitor. Change the oil 5,000 miles or one year whichever comes first. You will thank me later and your engine will too. I am a former ford tech just an FYI. Use 5w40 not 15w40.

DO NOT extend changes on these powerstokes. DO NOT follow the oil life monitor. Change the oil 5,000 miles or one year whichever comes first. You will thank me later and your engine will too. I am a former ford tech just an FYI. Use 5w40 not 15w40.
I would like to hear some concrete reasons for this advice. Seems a little hyperbolic.

If you are under warranty, change it.

If you are not under warranty, do what you want.

I would like to hear some concrete reasons for this advice. Seems a little hyperbolic.
So with the EGR and the heat these engines run and the soot they produce, is not smart to go past 5,000 miles. Also no consumer falls under normal service which is for 7500-10000 miles. all consumers fall under extreme usage. With that being said, it calls for 5,000 mile oil changes or 1 year whichever comes first. It even says not to follow the oil life monitor. We even change oil 5,000 miles on all of fords lineup. We have seen what happens to people who extended oil changes with these engines. Go talk to any ford tech and they will tell you the same thing I’m saying.

YouTube these techs also and you can see too

Tech talk w arod
Fordbossme
Dieseltechchris

So with the EGR and the heat these engines run and the soot they produce, is not smart to go past 5,000 miles. Also no consumer falls under normal service which is for 7500-10000 miles. all consumers fall under extreme usage. With that being said, it calls for 5,000 mile oil changes or 1 year whichever comes first. It even says not to follow the oil life monitor. We even change oil 5,000 miles on all of fords lineup. We have seen what happens to people who extended oil changes with these engines. Go talk to any ford tech and they will tell you the same thing I’m saying.

YouTube these techs also and you can see too

Tech talk w arod
Fordbossme
Dieseltechchris

I service a fleet of these in a 550 ambulance chassis. I have been doing so for several years. They easily see 400 hours between services on a bulk 15w40 with majority of idle time with full emissions equipment. Average engine life is 20K-25K hours. Not sure what type of service your vehicles are but ambulances are about as bad as it gets. Not sure what evidence to have to support your claims.

From my experience the only mechanical wear problem these engines suffer from are the rocker arms. Occasionally you will see tappet failure. Both of these are usually from excessive fuel diluted oil run too long. Just about every bottom end I’ve taken apart on these the bearings are still in excellent condition, even with with over 20K hours.

I will however agree with you that thick oils can cause the “typewriter tap” but usually it settles down a bit into the OCI. There is no harm being done by the noise.

That being said, my personal 6.7L I run 5w40 and use UOA samples every 5K miles or 200 hours to determine OCI. Currently at 8700 miles on current fill.

Last edited:
Back